Apple in talks to license Google Gemini AI for iPhones

Posted:
in iOS edited March 18

Google's controversial Gemini generative AI technology could be integrated directly into Apple's iOS to improve Siri.

Graphic showcasing Gemini brand with two smartphones, one displaying a digital assistant screen with text messages and '5G' symbol.
Google's Gemini is already an app but may become part of iOS 18

Apple has now regularly been reported to be planning an AI improvement for Siri, and to launch an iOS with much more integrated and prominent AI at WWDC 2024. Now a report from Bloomberg claims that Apple is in talks with Google to license the latter's Gemini AI.

It's already possible to run Gemini as an app, but the report says that the talks are now active negotiations concerning Apple arranging to license Gemini, Google's set of generative AI models, in order to power some unspecified new iOS features. It's expected that these features will be in this year's forthcoming iOS 18.

According to Bloomberg on early Monday morning, Apple has recently held discussions with OpenAI. Unspecified sources said to be involved in the talks, say that Apple has considered using OpenAI's model.

It's not clear whether the talks with Google mean that Apple has decided against OpenAI's ChatGPT technology.

If the talks do lead to an AI partnership between Apple and Google, it will build on the two firms' existing search agreements. According to testimony revealed during the Department of Justice's case accusing Google of antitrust measures, that deal is worth $20 billion a year to Apple.

Given how the Google investigation has repeatedly concentrated on the terms of its deal with Apple, it's likely that regulators would have to approve any AI partnership.

Gemini is the latest of Google's AI systems, a renamed and reworked version of its original Bard technology. Google Bard was poorly received.

However, Gemini has had severe problems too, with Google removing its ability to create images of people, and most recently limiting its election-related answers.

Nonetheless, following the report, CNBC says that shares in Google's parent company Alphabet were up 2.7% in premarket trading.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    John G, just as well, could have just stayed at Google

9secondkox2byronljbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 57
    The most interesting point would be who contacted who at first? 
    The more advanced AI is, the less relevant the web search service will be. Therefore, I would not be surprised if Google contacted Apple at first.

For short term, it would be a win win situation for Google and Apple if Google pays a specific annual fee to Apple as Google already does for their Chrome on iOS.

However, AI is an uncertain technology without clear pictures how AI will shape the future.

But following questions to be answered:
    1. How would this corporation affect the privacy? (AI with "open" source and privacy are usually a contradiction). 
    2. What additional benefits (not money or monetized benefits) could Apple get in those corporations?

I think that Apple wants to run their own in-house SLLMs on device (Small LLMs).
    This news is all about running cloud-based AI. 

Gemini would make more sense than OpenAI or Claude because Apple has already used Google´s cloud service. 

But honestly.... People kept saying Apple has some weapons as they purchased more AI enterprises than other tech enterprises. 
    Apple lags behind on AI based on LLMs. 

Car project cancellation, $490 million loss, and this indictation that Apple has managed their AI resource poorly.. 

Apple is really behind on AI and Apple should feel uncomfrtable with the current situation.
    edited March 18 byronlwilliamlondon9secondkox2Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 57
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Gemini?

like “in the news” racist, election-interference Gemini?

that’s not a glitch. That’s a culture issue at Google. That’s a stance. 

Heck no. 
    edited March 18 Alex_VargonautdanoxnubusjbdragonbloggerblogAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Makes sense. You can say Apple lags behind, but all AI tools are still not ready for primetime AT ALL. None of them have a level of polish that allows a regular user to use them, and all of them often still fail spectacularly. You can look at the LLM scores but none of that matters when a lot of them still can't do simple calculus.

I use several AI tools daily, but I'm a nerd and find the use cases for them, AND am able to see when it hallucinates. Apple is simply going to wait for this to mature and in the meantime use other services to supplement its offering. People went berserk when Apple Maps sent them in a wrong direction, can you imagine the backlash if they just let any LLM answer something?

Google still has the better web index, as OpenAI regularly fails on that front. Pretty sure Google will power Siri for web requests, and maybe Apple will use their own LLM for Apple related services.
    jas99muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 57
    The more advanced AI is, the less relevant the web search service will be. Therefore, I would not be surprised if Google contacted Apple at first.

Apple is really behind on AI and Apple should feel uncomfrtable with the current situation.
    I guess you missed MM1 as well.
    9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 57
    michelb76 said:

I guess you missed MM1 as well.

And this MM1 with 30b parameters does not seem to be ready? 
    9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Gatorguy will be thrilled. ;) Seriously, though, if true, what does this say about Apple's own AI and all the rumors? Is it simply a stopgap, as Apple isn't ready yet? Or perhaps Apple is seeing Genimi as a revenue stream and as a user option for its own AI system? If so, how would that work if Apple wants to maintain user's privacy?  So many questions!
    9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    Gatorguy will be thrilled. ;) Seriously, though, if true, what does this say about Apple's own AI and all the rumors? Is it simply a stopgap, as Apple isn't ready yet? Or perhaps Apple is seeing Genimi as a revenue stream and as a user option for its own AI system? If so, how would that work if Apple wants to maintain user's privacy?  So many questions!
    ;)

I expect Apple to license OpenAI. Had Google not been keeping notes on meetings between the two companies that should have been off the record, Google's chances would be better IMO.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 57
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    What the hell!
    I thought Apple had developed it's own LLM which is on par with gpt 3.5. Didn't expect Apple to borrow a core technology from outside.
    9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 57
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    In typical fashion everyone in the comments jumping on this as fact. 
    jas99danoxKierkegaardendope_ahminelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 57
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    I’m sure Apple talks to a lot of people about a lot of things. Who knows what it will or won’t lead to.
    jas99williamlondonlolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 57
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    dk49 said:
    What the hell!
    I thought Apple had developed its own LLM which is on par with gpt 3.5. Didn't expect Apple to borrow a core technology from outside.
    Yep. If true, this absolutely sucks. 
    dk49watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    dk49 said:
    What the hell!
    I thought Apple had developed its own LLM which is on par with gpt 3.5. Didn't expect Apple to borrow a core technology from outside.
    Yep. If true, this absolutely sucks. 
    Maybe the Gemini and Open AI will be alternative stand-alone app options to Apple's own built-in AI, kind of like offering alternative browsers. Perhaps a way of fending off the walled garden lawsuits.
    lolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 57
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 112member
    As another commenter eluded, it strikes me as odd that Apple would license a core technology - they've stated numerous times that they want to control all the core components of the user's experience.  So this is either a false rumor or an admission by Apple that they're hopelessly behind on AI and need outside help to be perceived as being on the AI bandwagon.
    danoxAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Pathetic. What's Apple thinking, licensing that utterly bizarre POS piece of technology?

The only headline should be: "Fresh on the heels of admitting abject failure with, and abandoning, their AV project, Apple adds AI to the list."

Tim Cook's Apple seems to have run out of ideas and talent. Hurts to say that, as a 40-year user of the company's products, and 20-year shareholder. The only competitive advantage that Apple has now seems to be that its competitors are worse.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 16 of 57
    basjhjbasjhj Posts: 97member

[...]

People often say that Apple is behind with little to prove that. So far I have only read its in reports from Morgan Stanley and its ilk. Or Bloomberg. I would take it with a big grain of salt.
    jas99danoxlolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Doubtful.

I believe Apple has talked with Google and Microsoft in the past about possible partnerships (like all big companies do).

Then a few journalists looking for their next headline saw this and expanded it into an entire story that Apple has already signed a deal, Gemini will be in iOS 18, and Apple is going to abandon their AI efforts (like they abandoned their Apple Car) because they’re so far behind.

It’s like these people have a dartboard set up with Apple News and throw a few to construct a new story. Popular topics are always:

- Apple is having trouble with…
    - Apple is giving up on…
    - Apple is introducing…

Rinse & Repeat.
    jas99danoxKierkegaardenwilliamlondonlolliverAlex1NAfarstarwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 57
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,465member
    I hope for this to never happen. Gemini is involved in several deviant projects including the ongoing genocide in Palestine.
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 57
    y2any2an Posts: 189member
    Talks would be aimed at establishing whether Apple can move better and faster with its own LLM technology, Open AI, or Google. They are under tremendous competitive pressure versus every other tech company and have to accelerate. This is what you do. They bought Beats to get into streaming faster. They turned on a dime to use Imagination Tech for their new GPUs (after very publicly dropping them). I see no hand-wringing here, just exploring all options to move much faster. Likewise they moved the (supposed) car team engineers into other products, I would guess likewise to shore up their AI acceleration efforts in those the immediate future. 
    9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Google on my iPhone? That’s never ever going to happen. Even if that means saying goodbye to Apple after 36 years. No way.
    williamlondon9secondkox2Cesar Battistini Mazierowatto_cobra