Apple is already being weirdly criticized for an AI effort that hasn't launched yet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Great article DED. As someone has posted who cares? Definitely not the majority of folk who purchase iPhones. Those of us reading AppleInsider are enthusiasts we are definitely not the majority of consumers. Yep critics live up to their name. They bash but never create a damn thing to make society better. Honestly, if DED hadn’t mentioned it I wouldn’t know a damn thing these jokers said recently. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    This is nothing new. Just this afternoon I was watching Melissa Lee and her team on “Fast Money” - I know, I need to find a better financial news channel ;-) And she was spewing unintelligent comment about Apple. Tim and his team are smart people and this makes perfect sense. This does look like a stop gap solution. They are apparently extending the search deal they have with Google. Just the way got into Silicon business while using Intel, they will do the same with AI solution. Apple already has plenty of AI tech they already deploy with their devices.
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    “Deranged facist” .  How about giving us your Top 3 specific examples 

Some people have lost their  minds when it comes to Elon 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 44
    So, as a 'civilian' consumer - who has owned almost every Apple product since the Mac Plus - I feel fine criticizing them when they underperform (AI, ML, or whatever broken tech runs Siri), or make bad decisions (see developer relations).

Apple is so far behind in this space, it's no wonder they had to punt with a Google deal.

Just today, I did a voice search within the tvOS Apple Music app. The most unambiguous name. There is only one.... and yet instead of a "it just works" 'intuitive' result, I get wildly incorrect search results. Sure, there's a box showing exactly what I said in quotes, but it requires me to use the finicky touchpad on the remote to complete a few more clicks. THEY CAN"T SEARCH  THEIR OWN CONTENT LIBRARY!

muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Ndewme
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Dan Niles is a tech analyst-pundit who’s regularly gone on CNBC proclaiming he’s shorting Apple. For years, every single time, he warns the viewers: Short Apple! Short Apple! Doom! Gloom! This while over the past 20 years, Apple stock has been a rocket to the sky. I’m sick of this knucklehead. What a joke! He must be broke! You’d think the CNBC commentators would call him out on these trades, but…
    Bart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    nubus said:

Apple wanted to copy Zuckerberg and do a headset. Why would it be smart to prioritize this over AI? Couldn't Apple have delivered on AI and let Zuckerberg fail for another 10 years?

I love punditry with no sense of irony. 

Apple Vision Pro is easily the most AI heavy product Apple has.  So, if they prioritized AVP then they prioritized AI by default.

Maybe you should take a beat and learn what AI is. Spoiler, it’s a lot more than Chat GPT. 

Bart Ydanoxwilliamlondondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    zenwaves said:
    So, as a 'civilian' consumer - who has owned almost every Apple product since the Mac Plus - I feel fine criticizing them when they underperform (AI, ML, or whatever broken tech runs Siri), or make bad decisions (see developer relations).

Apple is so far behind in this space, it's no wonder they had to punt with a Google deal.

Just today, I did a voice search within the tvOS Apple Music app. The most unambiguous name. There is only one.... and yet instead of a "it just works" 'intuitive' result, I get wildly incorrect search results. Sure, there's a box showing exactly what I said in quotes, but it requires me to use the finicky touchpad on the remote to complete a few more clicks. THEY CAN"T SEARCH  THEIR OWN CONTENT LIBRARY!

For what it’s worth, I couldn’t reproduce that in tvOS 17.4. I get the expected search results.

Or, rather, I could reproduce those search results (Top Hits and the suggested searches, as shown in your photo) by backspacing over “ank Zappa” — leaving just “Fr” …

So I don’t know why, but it’s not showing you the search results for Frank Zappa in Apple Music, it’s showing you the search results for “Fr” in Apple Music. 
    edited March 19 danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    The answer is in the title. “An AI effort that hasn’t started yet”. Apple has been caught completely flatfooted on this, and it’s clear to anyone who isn’t a sycophant that they are scrambling to catch up. This was the opportunity cost of vanity projects like the Apple Car and the facial iPad, and it’s why fans like me are frustrated with the leadership. Sure, you can write 1,000 words on the history of Apple naysayers (and the bit about championing workers’ rights was especially rich), but there is very little in this article to support the stated thesis that Apple is uniquely positioned. It almost reads as a desperate rationalization to cope with an unpleasant situation. 
    avon b7williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Awesome piece from DED as usual.
    Easy, just follow the money. Apple spends comparatively very little in advertising, so most of the press loves throwing bones at the competition. At least Apple is no longer systematically called “the beleaguered company” like it was throughout the ‘90s, but you can practically feel some journalists chomping at the bit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    larrya said:
    The answer is in the title. “An AI effort that hasn’t started yet”. Apple has been caught completely flatfooted on this, and it’s clear to anyone who isn’t a sycophant that they are scrambling to catch up. This was the opportunity cost of vanity projects like the Apple Car and the facial iPad, and it’s why fans like me are frustrated with the leadership. Sure, you can write 1,000 words on the history of Apple naysayers (and the bit about championing workers’ rights was especially rich), but there is very little in this article to support the stated thesis that Apple is uniquely positioned. It almost reads as a desperate rationalization to cope with an unpleasant situation. 

So this is a fantasy? Apple is in a better AI position written in 2020, it's not as glamorous as today's AI hype over a hallucinating Gemini........But a complete OS, Apple Silicon with ML/Neural Engine is a better place for the public/developers now and into the future why? The foundation is better..  https://www.gadgets360.com/ai/features/google-gemini-ai-chatbot-more-capable-but-still-prone-to-hallucinations-copilot-5047999

https://www.darkreading.com/cyber-risk/google-gemini-vulnerable-to-content-manipulation-researchers-say Apple in a better place.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/apple-explains-how-it-uses-machine-learning-across-ios-and-soon-macos/. Actually useful to the public/developers now.
    edited March 19 williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 44
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    Weirdly criticized for AI that they didn’t release, weirdly criticized for a car they didn’t confirm, weirdly criticized for a law that they complied with…no shortage of weird criticisms. 
    StrangeDayswilliamlondondanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    lotoneslotones Posts: 59member
    This is just next step in Apple review noise. Usually they just "review" an entry level Mac or first gen Apple product, then criticize it for not being able to edit 8K RAW video while simultaneously rendering a 50GB file and coding in real time while having 118 tabs open in Safari.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    zenwaves said:

For what it’s worth, I couldn’t reproduce that in tvOS 17.4. I get the expected search results.

Or, rather, I could reproduce those search results (Top Hits and the suggested searches, as shown in your photo) by backspacing over “ank Zappa” — leaving just “Fr” …

So I don’t know why, but it’s not showing you the search results for Frank Zappa in Apple Music, it’s showing you the search results for “Fr” in Apple Music. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 44
    zenwaves said:

williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    goofy1958 said:
    Personally, I'd rather see Apple develop its own internal AI.
    Well, they have been developing it all along - they just called it Machine Learning instead AI.
    They are a bit different tho. ML is a subset of the great AI superset, and ML is different than LLM or generative AI. Some articles out there explaining them. 
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Gotta find a way to squeeze a jab at musk in an article not related to him again eh? Sheesh. 
    Any opportunity to do so is a moment seized. That whacko is spouting racist tropes, conspiracy theories and broken thinking, and pushes too many really bad ideas to be not criticized whenever possible. 
    williamlondonlordjohnwhorfintmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    red oak said:
    “Deranged facist” .  How about giving us your Top 3 specific examples 

Some people have lost their  minds when it comes to Elon 
    He lost his own mind. His Great Replacement Theory is simpy racist tropes that have been kept in the shadows for decades, but now trotted out by the owner of a major media outlet. His claims of woke mind viruses destroying civilization is lunacy.

Lemon did a fine job of giving him all the rope he needed to further expose his broken brain. 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/19/media/elon-musk-don-lemon-interview-analysis-hnk-intl/index.html

williamlondonlordjohnwhorfintmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Just to be clear, where the article says "Bloomberg" we're supposed to read "Gurman", right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Why the weirdly defensive tone of this whole article?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 44
    zenwaves said:
    zenwaves said:

I’m not saying you don’t have a problem — the John Mayer search you posted above shows the search results for “J” — this Joy Division search shows the search results for “Jo”

Whatever it is, it’s not reproducible here. I say “Frank Zappa” or “John Mayer” or “Joy Division” and I get the expected results straightaway, no additional clicks. Have you tried posting these on the Apple Support communities? I mean, it’s probably a solvable troubleshooting problem—cache or memory or WiFi or whatever. 
    watto_cobra