Apple's big WWDC 2024 announcement may be an AI App Store

Posted:
in iOS

Apple's AI strategy may not necessarily be to only offer the best AI apps it can produce, but instead deliver an enhanced AI App Store that may debut at WWDC.

Apple AI
Apple AI

Apple, like many other tech companies, is hard at work introducing AI elements to its operating systems and software, and could potentially bring those products out to consumers in 2024. However, Apple may have other plans on how to make money from AI.

Speaking to CNBC on Monday, Melius Research head of technology research Ben Reitzes believes Apple will lay the groundwork for a new AI App Store in June. This will apparently include detailing how consumers will be able to acquire AI apps from an assortment of vendors.

Reitzes explains the reasoning by referring to Apple's other storefronts which have become industry-changing behemoths. Apple "has a history of convincing a lot of leaders to make apps or do something with them, while they perfect the ecosystem," he insists.

It's not entirely relevant, but as an example, the analyst offers Steve Jobs talking to record labels to get on board with downloads and a vision of a dollar per song, before producing the iTunes store.

What is more relevant is the iPhone App Store. For that, Reitzes pointis out that Apple made only some of the apps, but convinced others to make them.

Reitzes feels that it is the same story again, but for AI. Apple will offer its own AI services, but the company is in discussions with other companies to offer their AI apps for sale, possibly as part of an AI App Store.

In the research note released on Monday, Melius Research said "We think Tim Cook and his team are running around speaking to rivals because they are channeling their inner Steve' persuasion skills."

Reitzes forecasts that Apple will detail how to buy AI apps from the App Store at WWDC, it will have its own apps, an AI assistant, and an upgrade to Siri. Signs of how AI will flow into Apple's Services business are also expected to at least be previewed.

A storefront of AI apps

The concept of an App Store for AI isn't entirely new, as other analysts have proposed the same thing. In February, for example, Wedbush wrote that Apple will push into AI and eventually create "a separate AI App Store."

Wedbush also wrote that Apple was anticipated to internally discuss the concept at WWDC. Whether those talks will involve developers is another matter.

Reitzes' comments about how Apple has talked to others, including Google, about adding listings to an AI-specific App Store may also be grounded in fact. Apple has reportedly talked to companies including Baidu to handle generative AI services in China, and it's plausible the talks could've strayed into the topic of a dedicated App Store.

Apple has also been in discussions with Google to license the search giant's Gemini AI to provide AI improvements to Siri. Like many other AI services, Google Gemini is already accessible via an app accessible from the App Store, so there would be little friction in including that within an AI-specific store.

WWDC 2024 will take place in early June. The event has yet to be announced.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    I can't wait for a store that selects AI stores for me!
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,340member
    Merrick Garland's take:
    "Our beloved and caring DOJ is appalled Apple continues to make money on Apple stores, now with AI.  Whenever Apple comes out with something new, consumers pay higher prices.  The DOJ cannot stand by and let this happen. Using every blood-sucking attorney at our disposal, the DOJ will work hard to ensure Apple makes as little profit as possible so that consumers are not harmed. 
    —The DOJ. When you make it big, we come after you."
    ForumPost40domi9secondkox2tmayRobJenkpulseimagesssfe11pslicedanoxbyronl
  • Reply 3 of 21
    40domi40domi Posts: 68member
    Apple will out manoeuvre these geriatric fools at DOJ & EU for sure and a new AI store would be a sound way to do it, but first they'll just stretch the cases out for the next 5 to 10 years 🤣
    Although I suspect if Trump wins, the DOJ case will be dropped immediately and DOJ told to concentrate on real crime!
    jdw9secondkox2ssfe11watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    XedXed Posts: 2,571member
    40domi said:
    Although I suspect if Trump wins, the DOJ case will be dropped immediately and DOJ told to concentrate on real crime!
    I can't imagine that if Trump is POTUS again that the DOJ will start focusing even more on Trump's significant, well documented, and widespread crimes.
    9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingamRobJenkpulseimagesOnPartyBusinessfastasleeppslicewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Xed said:
    40domi said:
    I can't imagine that if Trump is POTUS again that the DOJ will start focusing even more on Trump's significant, well documented, and widespread crimes.
    Correct. Trump already said that after he is elected, he will instruct the DOJ to concentrate on political retribution.
    foregoneconclusionfastasleeppslicewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    puiz666puiz666 Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    Hahahaha, no.  Absolutely not. This will not be happening.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ssfe11ssfe11 Posts: 24member
    Dan Ives has been mentioning an Apple AI App Store for at least a year now. He never would elaborate but he constantly mention it concerning Apple AI ambitions. 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I'm confused why anyone would need any specialized AI apps. What I mean is by that is currently ChatGPT, Gemini, and Claude are the dominant players. All 3 offer free or paid premium versions. There are tons of specialized paid apps that use one of those 3 as their backbone so to speak, but they are all useless leeches.

Why use specialized apps when you can easily just do the task easily with ChatGPT, Gemini, or Claude alone? Sure it takes a little training and learning to become an expert user, but we can now create and save our own specialized AI bots within ChatGPT which means those apps are becoming less relevant by the day.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    It’s hard to believe how many Trump supporters are on these forums. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    XedXed Posts: 2,571member
    Or in the US. I get that Trump and his cronies are going to continue to steal, cheat, and lie at every turn for personal gain — that's what entitled narcissists and con men do — but why are Americans so hell bent on supporting a fascist wannabe dictator in what used to be — and hopefully still is — a democratically elected country?

There's a lot of things that led to this current situation. More recent is Citizens United v. FEC back in 2010 and much further back is the formation of political parties at all, which George Washington warned us against in his Farewell Address in 1796. Parties that ultimately do nothing but divide a nation into factions.

https://www.georgewashington.org/farewell-address.jsp
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC
    edited March 26 danoxgatorguybyronlOnPartyBusinesspslicewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    gwmac said:
    I'm confused why anyone would need any specialized AI apps. What I mean is by that is currently ChatGPT, Gemini, and Claude are the dominant players. All 3 offer free or paid premium versions. There are tons of specialized paid apps that use one of those 3 as their backbone so to speak, but they are all useless leeches.

Why use specialized apps when you can easily just do the task easily with ChatGPT, Gemini, or Claude alone? Sure it takes a little training and learning to become an expert user, but we can now create and save our own specialized AI bots within ChatGPT which means those apps are becoming less relevant by the day.

I'm confused about your confusion. Are you suggesting that there's no need for any other players in the [Generative] AI market?

Should we notify the 95% of fast food industry that they are irrelevant because McDonald's, Burger King and Dairy Queen already exist?

Competition should be encouraged, not discouraged.

byronlmuthuk_vanalingampsliceAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 21
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member

As usual all the existing AI models were supporting PC and Android systems and leaving Apple in the dust, so once again Apple will need to roll up it's sleeves and create a new service to support their hardware from the ground up. Why? Because no one else would the reason used/given was Apples market is just too small and the PC and Android markets are bigger markets. 

Apple a monopoly what a laugh they have to create for their core platform/ecosystems time and again because no one else will, the DOJ and EU are full of it.......

The Apple Pay NFC service was born in the same manner no support in the greater marketplace was coming. (see a pattern when you are outnumbered)

But you are to blame if you are successful. :smile: 
    edited March 26 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

I doubt that WWDC24 will dominate its focus on an "AI App Store". Sure, I can see how that ties into a developer conference, and I can see how a separate storefront would break up operations, to appear "less big" to the forces that be, but let's see some awesome hardware and software that makes ... particularly the Mac... better again.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member

I doubt that WWDC24 will dominate its focus on an "AI App Store". Sure, I can see how that ties into a developer conference, and I can see how a separate storefront would break up operations, to appear "less big" to the forces that be, but let's see some awesome hardware and software that makes ... particularly the Mac... better again.

Once again Apple will need to roll up its sleeves
     and create a new service to support their hardware from the ground up. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    EPIC just filed a lawsuit claiming a monopoly and unfair pricing. 
    edited March 26 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    This sounds like a very dumb idea.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Do we get to choose the IQ of this AI, paying more for 140 IQ than a 100 one?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    All the domain specific expertise segments could certainly benefit from unique AI apps so I can totally see an opportunity for Apple to succeed with this I’m 49 years on the Mac the experience gets richer and richer.  The phone along with all the software developers tools and hardware to accomplish things rarely applied is sufficient evidence that Apple has been thinking about the long game for years. Ill be enjoying this 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    An AI App Store? Lame. 

If Apple hasn’t created its own ai tech and fused it with Siri, it’s an epic fail and they will have just joined the masses in the mess that is the current si landscape. 

Would love to see Apple make an Sora competitor And bake that into Final Cut Pro at a set price. Not subscription. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Not so hard to believe. Some people like a good leader. But you’re really not supposed to get political here, so…
    watto_cobra