Jon Stewart opens up about Apple interference in his show

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,229member
    macxpress said:
    blastdoor said:
    I wonder if apple filters out stories they don’t like from Apple News, too…
    Of course they don't...it's not Google. This is one of the advantages of Apple News. 
    If Apple is "curating" it, then it would not be out-of-the-question that stories painting Apple, or in particular China, in a less than positive light would go unreported on the service. Are there any of those you can find on Apple News? I don't remember any, but I haven't been looking for them either. 
    krusher
  • Reply 22 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,888member
    charlesn said:
    chelin said:
    The company that funds the show having a say in the material is nothing new. That dynamic has been around since the beginning of media. Stewart himself has been known to adhere to the principles of both-siderism when it comes to political topics which isn’t exactly the most honest way of presenting information.
    To be compared with HBOs Last week tonight… where neither ATT nor HBO have control of the content
    WBD has been Oliver's corporate daddy the last two years, but he has been as blisteringly critical of it as he had been of his prior corporate daddy, ATT. Apple's attempted control of Stewart--which begs the question of WHY would you ever hire Jon Stewart if you wanted a puppet as a host--really exposes Apple's beliefs--contrary to its liberal image--about free speech when it conflicts, even theoretically, with its business interests. It's going to pick its business interests every time. It has been doing so in China for a long time and we now see it here with the cancellation of Jon's show.  
    Incorrect, a studio controlling its productions has zero to do with “free speech”. There is no government involved here which is the only place “free speech” is a topic. Private businesses controlling their own product isn’t a free speech matter. Like when Space Karen booted the kid who was publishing the location of his private jet on Twitter. 
    spheric
  • Reply 23 of 31
    jimh2 said:
    This is a great way to guarantee no one will hire you and the only broadcasting you will do is a podcast from your basement. 
    You may have missed that he already has a new show elsewhere. He’s kind of a big deal. 
    baconstangsphericbala1234
  • Reply 24 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:
    Have you seen any EU or US vs. Apple antitrust news on the service? How about the recent consumer class actions targeting the company, again pretty widely reported? Or any stories of possible sagging Apple sales in China? I can't say that I have, but I could have missed them.  That would give you a probable answer whether Apple is controlling, aka censoring, the message on Apple News. I don't really know. 
    Sweet FUD, bro!
    macxpress
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Just move on, man.  Your show was a failure, and you’re spending way too much time brooding over it.
  • Reply 26 of 31

Stewart’s a hypocrite. He criticized Trump for overvaluing property, yet Stewart himself overvalued his Tribeca penthouse 800+% for $17.5 million! Haha! There it is folks! Priceless. He’s no longer relevant.

• Reply 27 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:
    Have you seen any EU or US vs. Apple antitrust news on the service? How about the recent consumer class actions targeting the company, again pretty widely reported? Or any stories of possible sagging Apple sales in China? I can't say that I have, but I could have missed them.  That would give you a probable answer whether Apple is controlling, aka censoring, the message on Apple News. I don't really know. 
    Sweet FUD, bro!
    I doubt you know any more about it than I do. If you did, you would have posted examples to prove Apple isn't trying to control the message, and then end of story. 

But now that the point has been raised (not by me) it should be easy enough to watch for stories of that type being reported in the media that don't get a mention in Apple News. They may be there and I've just not seen them. 
    edited April 3 bala1234muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:
    Sweet FUD, bro!
    I doubt you know any more about it than I do. If you did, you would have posted examples to prove Apple isn't trying to control the message, and then end of story. 

But now that the point has been raised (not by me) it should be easy enough to watch for stories of that type being reported in the media that don't get a mention in Apple News. They may be there and I've just not seen them. 
    I don’t get stories like that in my feed but I also don’t really go to Apple News for tech-related stories. I had to search but they’re definitely there. 
  • Reply 29 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:
    Sweet FUD, bro!

I don’t get stories like that in my feed but I also don’t really go to Apple News for tech-related stories. I had to search but they’re definitely there. 
    Thanks, proof enough for me! That's a far better response than someone else was capable of making. 

edited April 4
  • Reply 30 of 31
    krusherkrusher Posts: 5member
    Michae1 said:
    I was such a big fan of his, but it’s sad to see what he’s become. I feel like he got starred for attention during his absence and now just saying/doing anything to get in a spotlight.
    What has he become? What is he saying or doing to get in the spotlight?
  • Reply 31 of 31

Stewart’s a hypocrite. He criticized Trump for overvaluing property, yet Stewart himself overvalued his Tribeca penthouse 800+% for $17.5 million! Haha! There it is folks! Priceless. He’s no longer relevant.

Overvalued?? Hypocrite?? Stewart SOLD it for $17.5Million, so obviously not 800% higher than market value. In Trumps case, he committed legally-certified fraud.
    edited April 4 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7roundaboutnow