Apple teases more Immersive Video dinosaurs for Apple Vision Pro coming soon

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited April 7

Apple will debut a second short film from its "Prehistoric Planet Immersive" series for Apple Vision Pro users on April 19th.

Transparent tablet overlaying a forest scene displaying a CGI triceratops and its offspring from 'Prehistoric Planet' series.

Apple included a handful of Immersive Video experiences along with the launch of the Apple Vision Pro in February. They are 180-degree 3D video shot in 8K, making them different from both 3D movies available on the device and the "Spatial Video" users can create from the headset or the iPhone 15 Pro or Pro Max.

The original Immersive Video film from "Prehistoric Planet" featured some pterosaurs encounting some young T-Rexes along a rugged ocean coast. The new film, running about six minutes like the previous one, tells the tale of a curious baby triceratops who learns about family bonds deep in the forest.

A teaser for it is available from the TV app in the Apple Vision Pro.

This is only the second new Immersive Video Apple has released since the launch of the Vision Pro in February. The other was a five-minute "highlight reel" of the 2023 Major League Soccer season.

The original batch of Immersive Videos included four short films: Adventure, Wild Life, Prehistoric Planet Immersive, and Alicia Keys: Rehearsal Room. Also included at launch was a interactive immersive experience, called "Encounter Dinosaurs."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The immersive videos are absolutely completely incredibly mind blowing.
    chasmbyronlruewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    What else ya got...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 10
    nubusnubus Posts: 462member
    What else ya got...
    Seems a 6 min. dino reel every 2 months is the content strategy for AVP.
    neoncatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 10
    nubus said:
    What else ya got...
    Seems a 6 min. dino reel every 2 months is the content strategy for AVP.
    It doesn’t seem like that to me. 
    Similar to such a new product category, we’ll see the uptick in pace as third party content providers get up to speed and as Apple gets still more developers and providers on board.  
    8k stereo cameras made for VP content are being produced in only very small quantities at this point and Apple is no doubt recruiting animation software developers to bring production tools to creators. 

Software updates will bring more capabilities.  We haven’t even had a WWDC yet that will have tons of training on App and content development.    

For now, it’s still in the phase of developing market demand.  
    See, it’s working—you’re demanding more content and longer content, albeit with cynicism or sarcasm that is a bit tiring to me and many more who appreciate how much of a huge undertaking this period is. 

We’re in a ramp up period.  It always happens with dropping a cutting edge technology.  
    99.99% of the public hasn’t even tried out the Vision Pro yet.  You’re one of the fortunate ones if you’re impatient because you already want more. 
    Patience, young Padawan. (sp?)
    watto_cobratmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 10
    omasouomasou Posts: 606member
    Let's see a real movie. Dinosaurs are cool but my interest is waning. If Apple wants to do animation Jobs should never have sold Pixar.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ruerue Posts: 10member
    Agreed! And I want to see something other than dionsaurs. Why not an immersive tour of Apple Park? Or Yosemite? Or a flight along the Monterry coast? Or to get really adventuresome an immersive view of Machu Picchu? The possibilites are endless. 

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 158member
    rue said:
    Agreed! And I want to see something other than dionsaurs. Why not an immersive tour of Apple Park? Or Yosemite? Or a flight along the Monterry coast? Or to get really adventuresome an immersive view of Machu Picchu? The possibilites are endless. 

Or, you know, take a trip to those places instead of wearing a goofy face-mounted iPad for masturbatory sizzle reels. 

The success of the AVP will be in its ability to apply spatial concepts to everyday computing—expanding and improving the process of working with information. The recent stories of the AVP being used in operating rooms is a great example of this. Stupid 3D videos for the easily distracted? Come on now. What a waste of the technology. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 10
    neoncat said:
    rue said:
    Agreed! And I want to see something iother than dionsaurs. Why not an immersive tour of Apple Park? Or Yosemite? Or a flight along the Monterry coast? Or to get really adventuresome an immersive view of Machu Picchu? The possibilites are endless. 

Or, you know, take a trip to those places instead of wearing a goofy face-mounted iPad for masturbatory sizzle reels. 

The success of the AVP will be in its ability to apply spatial concepts to everyday computing—expanding and improving the process of working with information. The recent stories of the AVP being used in operating rooms is a great example of this. Stupid 3D videos for the easily distracted? Come on now. What a waste of the technology. 
    Why does it have to be either/or? The point is all the incredible new horizons it opens. The immersive experience is absolutely unique and accessible to all. The specific uses in surgery (or military, etc…) are also phenomenal but not being a surgeon or an army general I cannot really appreciate them first hand.
    there is also the potential use as an incredible gaming platform, and before you say it’s too expensive, think about how many people spend more than this on gaming PCs.
    It also have many potential applications for severely handicapped people — and if you’ve ever seen the astronomic cost of assistive devices you’ll realize the small revolution it can bring. The Vision Pro is amazing.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonrueroundaboutnowwatto_cobratmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ruerue Posts: 10member
    neoncat said:
    rue said:

Or, you know, get up on the wrong side of the bed and make a foolhardy comment. Not everyone has the time or wherewithal, like you evidently, to traipse all over the globe further contributing to climate change. I haven’t been to Paris for a few years, but I would like to go to the Louvre again. Imagine an immersive stroll through its galleries. See the Mona Lisa without a jostling crowd. The device is capable of more than operating room kit. 

roundaboutnowwatto_cobratmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 10
    neoncat said:
    rue said:

That first sentence is a pretty shitty response...

While it's true that for the price of AVP, you could take a trip to maybe one or two of those places, but not all of them. And while not a substitute for a real live experience, you probably could not duplicate the immersive views possible with AVP on your own (without significant additional expense), such as those that come from aerial views, underwater views, microscopic views, etc. And of course, the dinosaur content is pretty difficult to experience in real life! Personally, I love nature and science shows, and while the AVP is still a bit more than I want to pay, I would welcome as much immersive content in these categories as possible.

Also, while I agree that quite a lot of success of AVP will come from the applications to everyday computing, as Lordjohn replied, it's not either/or. I think the immersive content will be a huge part of its success.
    edited April 8 watto_cobra