iPadOS 17.5 beta teases OLED display upgrade for 2024 iPad Pro models

Posted:
in iPad

The upcoming iPad Pro models are rumored to feature cutting-edge OLED displays, a significant upgrade from the current LCD panels, and iPadOS 17.5 hints at their impending release.

An iPad Pro 2020 with colorful display attached to a keyboard on a wooden surface, displaying various app icons and weather widget.
The 2024 iPad Pro models could have an OLED display

Evidence found in the code of iPadOS 17.5 beta suggests that Apple could introduce OLED displays in the upcoming iPad Pro models. They are expected to be announced in May.

According to firmware analysis by 9to5Mac on Tuesday, the new iPad models, identified as iPad16,3 through iPad16,6, are expected to come in two sizes with Wi-Fi and Cellular options, as usual for iPads.

The shift to OLED technology in the upcoming iPad Pro models is expected to revolutionize the visual experience. With OLED, you can expect deeper blacks, more vibrant colors, and improved contrast ratios, all of which are superior to LCD displays. OLED panels are also known for their efficiency, which could potentially lead to a significant boost in battery life for the iPad Pro models.

The decision to transition to OLED displays in the upcoming iPad Pro models has been speculated for some time. It follows Apple's last major iPad release in October 2022, indicating a strategic pause to align with technological advancements and ensure a robust supply chain.

However, reports have indicated production delays due to constraints in OLED panel manufacturing. The launch of these next-gen iPads might be delayed to accommodate these challenges.

The OLED iPad Pro models may not be available for shipping until later in April. Furthermore, these hints also support previous speculations about Apple releasing a 12.9-inch iPad Air soon.

Along with an OLED iPad Pro, the iOS 17.5 beta also includes more evidence for a new Apple Pencil. It may have various squeeze gestures along with an integration with Find My to locate lost Apple Pencils.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    roakeroake Posts: 812member
    ….upcoming iPad Pro models. They are expected to be announced in May.
    The OLED iPad Pro models may not be available for shipping until later in April.

Um, April of which year?
    entropysAfarstarnubusappleinsideruserAlex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,169member
    For field work, I’m wondering if OLED will be bright enough compared with mini LED.
    if the Air got the promotion display, it might be the better option for that kind of activity.
    edited April 9 Alex1Njahbladewilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I very highly doubt that OLED will “revolutionize the visual experience” as the article states. The quality of the current iPad is already excellent. So it’s basically going to go from excellent to even more excellent? When the iPhone switched from LCD to OLED, I couldn’t tell any difference. The screen quality looked excellent before and after the switch. I would also say that OLED is a bridge technology until the “real” revolutionary screen technology comes out which is MicroLED.
    williamlondonAlex1Ndewme
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 193member
    So, ipadOS 17.5 beta tells about new iPad models.
    It teases zero about OLED displays in them.

Bas, clickbait title.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I very highly doubt that OLED will “revolutionize the visual experience” as the article states. The quality of the current iPad is already excellent. So it’s basically going to go from excellent to even more excellent? 
    OLED has per pixel dimming. Every pixel can be controlled individually in terms of brightness. That's a significant advantage versus the current display. Apple did an excellent job packing as many dimming zones into the current model iPad Pro as they did but it's still inferior to per pixel control. 
    edited April 10 williamlondonAlex1Nkdupuis77
  • Reply 6 of 15
    OLED alone won't be enough of an incentive for me to upgrade from my M2 iPP 12.9.  Bringing the iPad version of Final Cut Pro more in line with the desktop version might, though.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 15
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,016member
    OLED alone won't be enough of an incentive for me to upgrade from my M2 iPP 12.9.  Bringing the iPad version of Final Cut Pro more in line with the desktop version might, though.
    It fascinates me when people seem not to realize that owners of last year’s model are not the target demographic for this year’s model. OLED alone is intentionally not enough of an incentive, because they don’t want to make you regret your recent purchase. 
    williamlondonthtAlex1Ndewmebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I very highly doubt that OLED will “revolutionize the visual experience” as the article states. The quality of the current iPad is already excellent. So it’s basically going to go from excellent to even more excellent? 
    OLED has per pixel dimming. Every pixel can be controlled individually in terms of brightness. That's a significant advantage versus the current display. Apple did an excellent job packing as many dimming zones into the current model iPad Pro as they did but it's still inferior to per pixel control. 
    And in return you get PWM and all kinds of color shifts on lower brightness, making the device uncomfortable for content consumption in low light, much like Tab S9 series.
    williamlondonAlex1Ndewme
  • Reply 9 of 15
    nubusnubus Posts: 393member
    Don't forget iPad Pro 11. I stayed away from Pro due to it either being very large or having an uninspired display. iPad Pro 11" 2024 is the one getting most from this upgrade.

Is MBP next for OLED?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 15
    bohlerbohler Posts: 42member
    I‘ve now used my ipad Pro 12,9‘‘ for 5 years…. the one thing I never had a problem with was the excellent screen and it is still excellent. The battery is dying so and I need a replacement. I really wonder who really cares about an OLED screen sidegrade. A larger screen iPad would be a really big thing ..everything else is a lame excuse to increase the price again to north of EUR 2000…..the decision to go for a macbook air M3 and abandon the ipad is drawing closer…
    Alex1Nwilliamlondondewme
  • Reply 11 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,456member
    bohler said:
    I‘ve now used my ipad Pro 12,9‘‘ for 5 years…. the one thing I never had a problem with was the excellent screen and it is still excellent. The battery is dying so and I need a replacement. I really wonder who really cares about an OLED screen sidegrade. A larger screen iPad would be a really big thing ..everything else is a lame excuse to increase the price again to north of EUR 2000…..the decision to go for a macbook air M3 and abandon the ipad is drawing closer…
    There will be the options of the 11” and 13” iPad Air. Likely M2, but it will likely be about $100 to $200 cheaper than an M2 MBA13 at the same RAM/Storage configurations.

I have an iPP10.5. It’s close to 7 years old now. Basically on its last legs. Battery doesn’t deliver a lot of power anymore and it is on its last OS version. I have been waiting for that iPP13 with OLED display, 16 GB, 2 TB with cellular machine. Will be my personal machine. 

The MBA is nice, but it is just not as mobile as an iPad. You can use the iPad in bed, waiting in line, in the car, at the desk, with a variety of accessories, so on and so forth. 

I watch video in bed in the dark. The OLED will provide the biggest benefit right there. Worth the money to me. 
    kdupuis77
  • Reply 12 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,389member
    bohler said:
    I think the iPad will always be the right tool for the job for a lot of folks. I’ve always liked the iPad and considered it to be one of Apple’s most future focused products. Unfortunately it’s kind of fallen into the same trap as the MacBook Pro with fairly minimal tweaks and spec bumps year over year. 

Maybe the path to the future no longer goes through iPad. Perhaps the torch has been passed to Vision Pro?

Yeah, I know that Apple has to consider new iPad adopters as well as old salts, but even the accumulated updates of the last couple of releases doesn’t make my credit card jump out of my wallet. M2 was a spec bump that was mostly lost on me as is the possibility of OLED. The only reason I ended up with an M2 iPad Pro was because my oldest iPad Pro bit the dust. 

I’m also thinking that a well equipped MacBook Air and an iPad mini might be the right combination for me. Why Apple doesn’t put 5G cellular in MacBook Air is a continuing mystery to me. Tethering is okay, but if I could add my MacBook Air to my phone plan for what I pay for iPad cellular I’d do it in a heartbeat. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tht said:
    bohler said:
    There will be the options of the 11” and 13” iPad Air. Likely M2, but it will likely be about $100 to $200 cheaper than an M2 MBA13 at the same RAM/Storage configurations.

I have an iPP10.5. It’s close to 7 years old now. Basically on its last legs. Battery doesn’t deliver a lot of power anymore and it is on its last OS version. I have been waiting for that iPP13 with OLED display, 16 GB, 2 TB with cellular machine. Will be my personal machine. 

The MBA is nice, but it is just not as mobile as an iPad. You can use the iPad in bed, waiting in line, in the car, at the desk, with a variety of accessories, so on and so forth. 

I watch video in bed in the dark. The OLED will provide the biggest benefit right there. Worth the money to me. 
    Same here, I use mine primarily for content consumption in bed or on long haul flights.. Both darker locations that will greatly benefit from an OLED display's excellent contrast ability. My iPhone 14 Pro screen still looks so much nicer than the LCD in my 11" iPad Pro because of this. 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,456member
    kdupuis77 said:
    tht said:
    bohler said:

Same here, I use mine primarily for content consumption in bed or on long haul flights.. Both darker locations that will greatly benefit from an OLED display's excellent contrast ability. My iPhone 14 Pro screen still looks so much nicer than the LCD in my 11" iPad Pro because of this. 
    Yeah, one of my pet peeves with the video player is that is centered on the iPad display. I should be able to move a 16:9, 21:9 video to the top of the display. 

Lots of work to do with iPadOS. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    AppleZulu said:
    It fascinates me when people seem not to realize that owners of last year’s model are not the target demographic for this year’s model. OLED alone is intentionally not enough of an incentive, because they don’t want to make you regret your recent purchase. 
    That's a fair point.  I definitely do not regret my purchase.  It's been very, very useful for editing photos "in the field", to show people what more of what they'll get when I have more time.  I don't have a Mac though, and have no need of one, and this one use case doesn't (for me) justify a Mac purchase, just to get the added features of the desktop Final Cut Pro for the very minimal video editing (even less than photo editing) that I do.  I can hope that any updates to the iPad version of FCP do not require an upgrade to the iPad itself.  Honestly, I would definitely not expect such a requirement though.