Will you purchase a Powermac 970?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Let's assume the 970 is destined for use in a Mac some time in 2003. Who's stepping up to the plate?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Not me.

I'm a student on a limited budget. I'm waiting for speed boosted eMacs to tide me over until college (late 2004/early 2005). At that point in time, I may purchase a 970 based tower, but right now I simply do not have the financial resources to pay for the first rev. of any hypothetical 970 based Mac towers. A 1Ghz eMac with DDR SDRAM and a 133Mhz bus retailing at $999 would do nicely though.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I will wait for rev B.

After the disaster of the rev A Blue and White I swore I will never buy a Rev A machine
  • Reply 3 of 36
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I'm do for a new one, but I'll wait and see what they're offering, but will probably take whatever they have.

(edit: I have the first PB 500, still works good- except no CD burner)
  • Reply 4 of 36
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Yes... but I want a quad... although my imediate need is for my first laptop (I have a dual gig powermac right now)

So if a single chip 970 powerbook comes out I will get that...
  • Reply 5 of 36
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Not me.

I'm a student on a limited budget. I'm waiting for speed boosted eMacs to tide me over until college (late 2004/early 2005). At that point in time, I may purchase a 970 based tower, but right now I simply do not have the financial resources to pay for the first rev. of any hypothetical 970 based Mac towers. A 1Ghz eMac with DDR SDRAM and a 133Mhz bus retailing at $999 would do nicely though.

lol. You're not a student, you're a kid.

I'm a student. Saying you're a student... the word has certain connotations.

If at all possible I'd buy a 970 based tower. At the moment I have $75 and need to make rent on the 1st, we'll see if my situation is at all improved.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

I will wait for rev B.

After the disaster of the rev A Blue and White I swore I will never buy a Rev A machine

Disaster? Mine is running fine, serving up the files stripped of its plastics, naked as the day it was born. Overclocked and currently stuffed with an useless zip drive. Sure... I can't add a second drive because of that whole data corruption mishap, but an ide card would solve that...
  • Reply 7 of 36
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Although I'm a student, I will not hesitate to get a dual 970 if it's priced around $2300.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    well, i am not a student, but also have a not unlimited budget. i will buy a rev. A, because i don't believe that nonsense about rev. A, rev B. etc. (like bigc, i have a rev.a pismo also, it's a great machine) and i need a new mac soon. (albeit the sweetness of my powerbook, it get's a little slow for real work) what powermac i will buy depends on the offering and the time of release... i would love to have a 15" powerbook 970, so i think i have to wait about 9 months for that one.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Umm... gar, the Pismo was not a Rev. A product. It was not a new design. When people say "Rev. A" or "Rev. B" or whatever, they're talking about different revisions of a particular design, not of a specific model of computer. The Blue G3 had two revisions, the first released in January and the second released mid-year. The Rev. B had a number of bugs involving the IDE controller, making the use of multiple hard drives very difficult. Previous PowerMac G3s, the beige ones, had a number of problems with the Rev. A ones because they wouldn't support slave drives. Revs B and C worked fine, however.

Your Pismo is actually a Rev. D product. Yep. It's the most refined PowerBook G3 Series Apple made. They made the Wallstreet, Wallstreet II, Lombard, and THEN the Pismo, ironing out design issues as they went. The Pismo is one of Apple's best computers and that has a lot to do with how much development went into it, both in designing the Pismo and also in designing all the ones that came before it.

Now, I'm not saying that Rev. A products are BAD... but there tend to be issues with them that get mostly fixed the second time around. Another thing is that waiting a little bit to buy helps you gauge people's opinion of the machine, and see what problems they're having. If anyone has problems... you may want to just wait for the next revision and buy that.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i will probably be waiting for rev b just because i wont have money for a new one until i graduate next yr and get my grad present ($1500-$2000)
  • Reply 11 of 36
    i went for the single or dual within 12 months just to get more life out of my dual 533 (and so as not to be murdered in my sleep by the wife).
  • Reply 12 of 36
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No 970s for me until there's a 970-powered laptop for under $2k.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I will be getting one. It will be my first dive into a true Pro Machine. Until those come out I will be fine with my 17" iMac.

I will most likely be getting the dual, and a 23" screen. The wife has already okayed the process, now, it is just a waiting game.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    I'll order the "Faster" model with a 20-inch cinema display the same day they are announced.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm looking at getting a laptop when I've socked away enough money, and that'll happen when it happens, whether or not Apple has released a notebook with a 970.

I have no plans to get a 970 desktop.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Umm... gar, the Pismo was not a Rev. A product. It was not a new design. When people say "Rev. A" or "Rev. B" or whatever, they're talking about different revisions of a particular design, not of a specific model of computer. The Blue G3 had two revisions, the first released in January and the second released mid-year. The Rev. B had a number of bugs involving the IDE controller, making the use of multiple hard drives very difficult. Previous PowerMac G3s, the beige ones, had a number of problems with the Rev. A ones because they wouldn't support slave drives. Revs B and C worked fine, however.

Your Pismo is actually a Rev. D product. Yep. It's the most refined PowerBook G3 Series Apple made. They made the Wallstreet, Wallstreet II, Lombard, and THEN the Pismo, ironing out design issues as they went. The Pismo is one of Apple's best computers and that has a lot to do with how much development went into it, both in designing the Pismo and also in designing all the ones that came before it.

So what you mean is that if the outside looks the same or almost the same and the inside changes, it's a revision?... difficult to swallow... so the last revision G4 is actually still a G3 rev. J ? because the case is the same.

Or a G4 rev.H. But because apple introduced the Yikes and Sawtooth in the same time it's probally one revision. so G4 rev.G?

difficult... so the kanga (original powerbook G3) is actually a rev.B hooper (powerbook 3400)? cool...

how did they do that with the centrisses and quadra's the powermac 8100, powermac 8200 and powermac 8500?

difficult... i always thought i have a rev.A powerbook (firewire) codename "pismo" ... because of it's mobo.

i really really really thought it was a rev.A

stupid me.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    i am not confinsed... about pismo-gate

but anyway: rev A. 15" Al powerbook ppc970 or rev B. 15" Al powerbook with a ppc970 processor is on my buying list.

with a revision what so ever 20" cinema display.

• Reply 18 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'm worried that Apple is not being more positive when talking about the processor problem and the outlook for it..... something isn't right... they aren't even doing their typical "the pipeline is strong" bit.....

they betsa be goin for the 970 :-\\
  • Reply 19 of 36
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    I'll buy a dual instantly if they cost under $3000. That's a promise!
  • Reply 20 of 36
    I just blew my wad on a 17" PB, so I won't be buying anything new anytime soon