Apple's new iPad Pro gets M4 power, advanced Tandem OLED screens

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,549member
    So disappointing.  Apple had to make it so thin.  That means it has a much smaller battery than it could have had.  OLED screens typically have higher power demands.  In reality it will probably only get 6 hours or so.
    In reality, it will get what Apple says it will get. Apple is know for conservative battery estimates. Cell usually take almost an hour off the recharge interval, but these will likely get the same 9.5 to 11.5 hours they always get. Would I like even longer life? Yes, but it’s not worse.
    ronn
  • Reply 42 of 73

danox said:
    melgross said:
    Well, as usual I spent a lot of money I didn’t have to. So I bought the whole thing, 13”, keyboard and Pencil and also the nano glass. I hope the glass isn’t too difficult to clean as my iPad screen gets dirtier than my Apple monitor screen.

i was surprised that the rumor about the M4 was true. I’m willing to bet that there are two reasons for it. Apple has two things to contend with right now. The push in AI is one and the new SoCs from Qualcomm are the other. Apple know about both some time ago. They knew about the SoCs a good two years ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if the push to get the M4 on this, right now, before any PCs with the Qualcomm chip come out is a big reason we’re seeing it. Qualcomm is marketing their chip as being as, or even a bit more powerful than Apple;s M3. Whether that’s true or not, Apple needed to get ahead it it and with the specs for this M4 I believe they have.

anyway, I’m pretty excited to see this new one. It should be here between the 16th and the 20th. My wife’s, which doesn’t have the nano screen and 512GB instead of 1TB, will be here the 15th.
    Maybe but what is the lead times for putting Tandem OLED and a M4 SOC into a iPad two-three years? I don't think Qualcomm or AI hype figured into the equation if anything the drag probably was the development of Tandem OLED which isn't cheap..
    Talking about the M4 when talking about Qualcomm, not the display. How long did the display take? Who knows? It depends on how many more steps it requires. 
  • Reply 43 of 73
    tht said:
    melgross said:
    Well, as usual I spent a lot of money I didn’t have to. So I bought the whole thing, 13”, keyboard and Pencil and also the nano glass. I hope the glass isn’t too difficult to clean as my iPad screen gets dirtier than my Apple monitor screen.
    anyway, I’m pretty excited to see this new one. It should be here between the 16th and the 20th. My wife’s, which doesn’t have the nano screen and 512GB instead of 1TB, will be here the 15th.
    Can you give us a report on the crispness, clarity and contrast of the two, nano-texture versus smooth? And the difference in feel with the Pencil?
    Of course. On this thread? I just checked and it won’t get to me until possibly the 21st. The keyboard and Pencil will arrive the 15th.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    thttht Posts: 5,522member
    melgross said:
    tht said:
    melgross said:
    Can you give us a report on the crispness, clarity and contrast of the two, nano-texture versus smooth? And the difference in feel with the Pencil?
    Of course. On this thread? I just checked and it won’t get to me until possibly the 21st. The keyboard and Pencil will arrive the 15th.
    This thread or AI’s review thread. Which is most convenient at the time. A new forum post even!

Closeup pictures would be cool. I will try them out at the retail store, but the more reviews available the better. This thing is going to cost me something like $2600.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,840member
    So disappointing.  Apple had to make it so thin.  That means it has a much smaller battery than it could have had.  OLED screens typically have higher power demands.  In reality it will probably only get 6 hours or so.
    Not at all...in a product like this it makes sense to make it thin and light. That's one of the attractions to such a device. And, if there's one thing Apple never exaggerates, it's the battery life of any of its mobile products from iPhones, iPads, to its MacBook lineup. 
    entropysronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 73
    tht said:
    melgross said:
    tht said:
    melgross said:
    This thread or AI’s review thread. Which is most convenient at the time. A new forum post even!

Closeup pictures would be cool. I will try them out at the retail store, but the more reviews available the better. This thing is going to cost me something like $2600.
    Yeah, with tax it was a bit over $2900. I screwed up a bit when ordering which is why it’s coming a bit late. I did everything in the store app as usual. Then my wife asked for help ordering hers. I forgot to get through the actual payment process when I went to help her. I only realized it right after we did hers. I went back and finished. By then, the 16th that I was given during the order skipped to the 19th to the 21st. Grrr! My own fault. Hopefully a good sign for sales though as it just added about five minutes to my time.
    muthuk_vanalingamthtronn
  • Reply 47 of 73
    nubusnubus Posts: 428member
    Marvin said:
    nubus said:
    Woah.. NPU in M4 seems to be 2x of TOPS than M3... Memory bandwidth is also up 20%. GenAI here we go.

Can't wait to see an Ultra or Extreme version of this baby.
    M4 is delivering A17 Pro (2023) level NPU performance. Is it enough for 2024/2025 outside iPad Pro? Intel Lunar Lake is aiming for 45 TOPS. Will M4 Pro and Max deliver more?
    The TOPs numbers are not quoted the same way by different manufacturers. If they use INT8, they can double the number over FP16, if they use INT4, they can quadruple the number.

Snake oil is everywhere in the AI race. Just 2 months ago MBA 13 launched as "best consumer laptop for AI" with 18 TOPS. Microsoft is demanding 40 TOPS. Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm all plan for 42-45. Are all TOPS the same... clearly not as INT8 TOPS require more memory. Is MBA capable of delivering 18 INT8 TOPS with just 8 GB? And for how long?

If Apple is designing for 37 TOPS then iPhone 15 Pro and M4 are the only products to deliver. Based on transistor count the M4 is M3.5. Is it enough? We simply don't know, but that is part of what makes this interesting. I would love for Apple to be at the front but at least the company is able to move very, very fast. There are great articles, products, and discussions ahead.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 48 of 73
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,009member
    Little changes add up to big things over time its called iteration and over the years it has been one Apples strong points when compared to the competition.

iteration......
    ronnthtwilliamlondonmacxpress
  • Reply 49 of 73

Apple historically under promises on battery life, not over promises. The point of OLED is to eliminate backlighting which is more wasteful of energy than only illuminating the pixels needed. 
    That maybe true in regards backlighting but Apple wasn't going introduce OLED without fixing burn in and lifespan issues and that's where Tandem OLED comes in and Samsung initially didn't want to fix it when Apple approached them but LG did which is why LG is building all the 13" screens, however Samsung afterwards had a little rethink and they are building the 11" screens with LG coming online later.
    edited May 8
  • Reply 50 of 73
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 55member
    saarek said:
    M4, that’s an interesting move. Especially considering the M3 isn’t even fully out yet with the Ultra chips (and hopefully the Extreme variant which the Mac Pro desperately needs to justify its existence).

Wonder why they’ve jumped so far forwards, it will simply put people off buying M3 Apple Macs, no one wants to buy last years tech at this years pricing.
    Yeah, I just bought a fully loaded M3 MacBook Air 8 weeks ago. It makes no difference to the performance or longevity of this machine, but I still feel just a smidgen of irrational resentment 🤣
    ronn
  • Reply 51 of 73
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 55member
    Some info to be aware of:
    • 10 core processor only available on TB versions, 256 & 512MB versions get 9 cores (3e & 6p).
    • 1TB option is $600 (60%) more than base option, $400 more than 512GB version.
    • Textured nano glass requires TB option.
    • Wide angle camera is dropped.. only one camera on rear.
    • GPS still requires cellular version, which is $200 upgrade.
    I am extremely disappointed Apple continues to bundle options.  Why should I have to buy storage I do not need to get the processor I want??

To get better processor and GPS, with AppleCare and tax is now $2,070.. and that doesn’t include any accessories.. and that’s the 11” version.

After I ordered mine, I also noticed that the 1TB and 2TB models have 16GBof RAM, whereas the other models have 8GB. I was surprised that they didn’t make this more clear in the marketing, because some people certainly would have upgraded the storage just to get the extra RAM. 
    Yes, they are always quiet on RAM in iOS devices for some reason. They probably want to avoid comparisons with competitors; as Apple can do more via unified memory and software optimisation they are stingy with it, on paper Android tablets look better but in reality that isn't necessarily the case.
    edited May 8 danoxronn
  • Reply 52 of 73
    TRAG said:
    Some info to be aware of:
    • 10 core processor only available on TB versions, 256 & 512MB versions get 9 cores (3e & 6p).
    • 1TB option is $600 (60%) more than base option, $400 more than 512GB version.
    • Textured nano glass requires TB option.
    • Wide angle camera is dropped.. only one camera on rear.
    • GPS still requires cellular version, which is $200 upgrade.
    I am extremely disappointed Apple continues to bundle options.  Why should I have to buy storage I do not need to get the processor I want??

To get better processor and GPS, with AppleCare and tax is now $2,070.. and that doesn’t include any accessories.. and that’s the 11” version.

After I ordered mine, I also noticed that the 1TB and 2TB models have 16GBof RAM, whereas the other models have 8GB. I was surprised that they didn’t make this more clear in the marketing, because some people certainly would have upgraded the storage just to get the extra RAM. 
    Yes, they are always quiet on RAM in iOS devices for some reason. They probably want to avoid comparisons with competitors; as Apple can do more via unified memory and software optimisation they are stingy with it, by on paper Android tablets look better but the reality isn't necessarily the case.
    The same applies to the Mac computer systems.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Agh! I just checked my order, it’s actually May 26th to May 31st. Even worse!
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Well, now it’s the 23rd to the 31st. Ok, I hope it’s better.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    thttht Posts: 5,522member
    melgross said:
    It'll come in no time.  :D

My main interest with the nanotexture is airplane usage. It's a crazy lighting environment which can make using a computer display frustrating. Since I'm not on airplanes too much these days, and it likely reduces contrast and sharpness, probably not worth it to me. Waiting on a live look at it myself though.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    tht said:
    melgross said:

My main interest with the nanotexture is airplane usage. It's a crazy lighting environment which can make using a computer display frustrating. Since I'm not on airplanes too much these days, and it likely reduces contrast and sharpness, probably not worth it to me. Waiting on a live look at it myself though.
    I’m 50/50 about having ordered the nano display. I’ll have to compare it to my wife’s, which will be here tomorrow. I wanted to try it. I like it in the Studio Display. This has to be different in some way or we wouldn’t get able to use the Pencil with it. These technologies get improved over time so this should be more rugged. As far as visual differences, I can see some in the reviews as vied in my M2 iPad Pro. The nano does have less black and likely slightly obscured shadow detail, but as some have mentioned, it’s mostly at somewhat oblique angles which isn’t a real problem.

I’m generalynot a fan of matte displays, because of these reasons and have said that here and elsewhere. In a perfect world we would have glossy displays used in dark rooms. That’s how we did our work back when, in my company. Hopefully, I won’t regret the choice.
    ronn
  • Reply 57 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,366moderator
    melgross said:
    tht said:
    melgross said:

I’m 50/50 about having ordered the nano display. I’ll have to compare it to my wife’s, which will be here tomorrow. I wanted to try it. I like it in the Studio Display. This has to be different in some way or we wouldn’t get able to use the Pencil with it. These technologies get improved over time so this should be more rugged. As far as visual differences, I can see some in the reviews as vied in my M2 iPad Pro. The nano does have less black and likely slightly obscured shadow detail, but as some have mentioned, it’s mostly at somewhat oblique angles which isn’t a real problem.

I’m generalynot a fan of matte displays, because of these reasons and have said that here and elsewhere. In a perfect world we would have glossy displays used in dark rooms. That’s how we did our work back when, in my company. Hopefully, I won’t regret the choice.
    It looks worse off-angle but not so bad straight on and normal lighting probably won't be as bright as the reviews:

The nano texture test is at 9:30 in the video. The glossy one looks best to get the deeper black levels.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Ok, my wife’s iPad Pro just came, as did my Magic Keyboard and Pencil Pro. The first thing I was interested to find out was whether the screen is larger, as it’s being called 13”. Well, guess what folks? It IS! Not by much as we’re talking 12.9” to 13”. But length is 0.0625” longer. That’s a 1/16” for those who are decimally challenged. Many people who should know better on YouTube, the internet and other places, are saying that Apple just finally decided to round it off, but that’s not true. 

The other thing is that the old iPad doesn’t work on the new keyboard as the sizes are slightly different in the way the back of the keyboard is made and the magnets don’t align, so the three contacts on the right side can’t be held in place. I suppose it’s possible to do something stupid such as tape it in place or something, but really…

As far as the Pencil Pro goes, it’s weird. They did move the magnets. So if you move the Pencil slightly to the right, the right magnet holds and it swivels around that. Move it to the left and the left magnet holds and it swivels around that. As I say, weird. No matter where you hold it, the iPad doesn’t recognize it as it does the older version. No charge percentage comes up. It doesn’t work at all. Even as a conventional stylus. Bummer, but that’s progress I suppose.

My wife, who is far more patient than I am, had decided to set hers up after dinner, which is an hour from now. She’s playing some role player game with, as she puts it, 39 of her BFFs around the world, so she wants to finish that episode first anyway. Oh well, I’ll try hers with these accessories later tonight.
    thtronn
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Marvin said:
    melgross said:
    tht said:
    melgross said:

It looks worse off-angle but not so bad straight on and normal lighting probably won't be as bright as the reviews:

The nano texture test is at 9:30 in the video. The glossy one looks best to get the deeper black levels.
    There is the expected difference. Not too bad really. My Studio Display with it looks great.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    My wife finally set hers up. The first thing I notice is that the screen colors are different. When compared, my M2 looks somewhat magenta and the new M4 looks green. Very strange. Even when I set both to reference mode which should put each in its calibrated setting, the difference persists. What’s strange is when I took a picture of both on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, the green one comes out more magenta and the magenta comes out more green. That, I can’t explain.

otherwise, the keyboard is absolutely great. Even with the screen angled all the way back, the function keys are easily available. The trackpad is sensitive and works smoothly.

the Pencil pro is weird in that the haptic feedback feels pretty real. I wasn’t actually expecting that. Some of the features such as the twist motion won’t be useful if you’re not an artist or calligrapher, because it takes some skill to use properly. But, it does what it’s supposed to. I’m not patiently waiting for the new version of Procreate so I can test what they’ve done with it.

the only thing I don’t understand is the color difference.

so as far as I can see, it’s looks like a very nice upgrade to everything. It’s really notebook-like now. I’m hoping Apple will show something innovative on the OS front this coming June 10th.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam