Apple apologizes for iPad Pro 'Crush' ad after massive backlash

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    omasouomasou Posts: 595member
    I cannot believe companies are folding to the special snowflakes that get offend over the littlest things.

If Steve Jobs were alive you know there wouldn't even be a suggestion of an apology.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 386member
    omasou said:
    I cannot believe companies are folding to the special snowflakes that get offend over the littlest things.

If Steve Jobs were alive you know there wouldn't even be a suggestion of an apology.

Yes, he would say that you are looking at it wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    Tired of the Internet and its noisy rabble. Apple's ad was the best of the year. Complainers can call me at 1-800-stfu and I will hang up on you personally.
    apple4thewinomasou
  • Reply 44 of 85
    BB92647 said:
    I’m actually one of the cringe “mob” that disliked the ad. As a musician, it broke my heart to see pianos and guitars splinter and get crushed under a metal slab.  Instead of celebrating these instruments for the infinite possibilities of creativity they can produce, it was just destroyed. Was jerryrigeverything pulling the lever? 
    I can’t speak for the other commentators here, but I also wince when I see YouTubers destroy perfectly fine hardware for clicks. That’s what this felt like. Would I have the same reaction is some vintage Ferrari was crushed? Probably not… I don’t care about cars at all. But that doesn’t mean I can’t see the value of the “art” of that object. 
    Long story short, I think apple did the right thing and didn’t wait for the groundswell to overshadow the new iPads.  
    All props and CGI. Pay closer attention. No real instruments were used.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,363member
    This is a great ad that conveys exactly what it's supposed to.  Apple is silly and weak to apologize for this ad.  So much for courage.  The Twitter mob making an unnecessary big deal over this ad need to get a life.
    Seems like an overly sensitive reaction on your part. You might like the ad, but many people don't -- are you so insecure in your preferences that you can't handle alternative views? 
    AI_liasmuthuk_vanalingamsflagelgrandact73
  • Reply 46 of 85
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,819member
    I realized what this ad reminded me of. The equally hated Lemmings ad for the mac. That was another time when Apple tried to sell a product by offending the customers it was trying to entice. That was a boneheaded misfire, and this one is the same. Obviously put together by computer people and ad people, not people who actually use these tools. 
    https://youtu.be/V-SJQdREDKM?si=EWN7Yg0wETPY6Ofe

• Reply 47 of 85
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,389member
    The funniest part of this is it appears they might have copied an old LG ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcUAQ2i5Tfo
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 85
    DracoDraco Posts: 44member
    Dropping the ad? Good.

Apologizing for it? Bad. 
  • Reply 49 of 85
    88ip88ip Posts: 1member
    Ahh, the ultimate irony of ‘artists’ complaining about art. 

Because Apple has never, ever been overt about ‘crushing’ conventional approaches and ‘compressing’ capabilities into smaller, disruptive products. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or, dark and edgy in their advertising? (cue 1984)

In deference to P.T., “There's no such thing as bad publicity,” 
    BiggieTall
  • Reply 50 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,324member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I fixed the ad for them

This is the ad Apple should put out! Great job!
    Maybe they shouldn't have been inspired by an old LG smartphone ad to begin with. It looks like they were.

edited May 10 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 51 of 85
    XedXed Posts: 2,645member
    gatorguy said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    I fixed the ad for them

This is the ad Apple should put out! Great job!
    Maybe they shouldn't have been inspired by an old LG smartphone ad to begin with. It looks like they were.

There are clear similarities but I wouldn’t say they were inspired, aped, or even stole the idea from that LG ad without evidence. I’m sure I’ve seen that basic concept at least several times before that LG ad ever aired.
  • Reply 52 of 85
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 608member
    I’m surprised by how many cry baby Trumpsters are in these comments. 
    apple4thewinAI_liasforegoneconclusion
  • Reply 53 of 85
    I enjoyed it and the cgi was great I wonder if they made the ad on the M4 iPad pro
  • Reply 54 of 85
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,974member
    Kinda scary how it demonstrates the power of fake images to elicit real emotion. Look out election season!
  • Reply 55 of 85
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 273member
    fred1 said:
    Xed said:
    cincytee said:
    Xed said:
    Personally, I thought the ad was great and even after reading about several explanations as to why it's upsetting to some people, I don't get it.
    Here's my take: Working musicians like me are so careful to protect and respect our instruments. They're connected to us and fairly fragile (my century-old violin is at its root a wooden box that could be easily destroyed). Seeing those instruments crushed in this ad was upsetting – not traumatizing – and, more important, did not make me want to buy one of these iPads. There are other ways to get the same point across, like having these objects CGI-sucked into a circuit board. Good for Apple simply to admit this ad misfired and move on.

Can you explain further why CGI instruments being compressed into the iPad was upsetting at all? I find the killing of puppies and murder wrong, but I didn't get upset when watching John Wick. At least with Apple's ad the intent was that the instruments ended up in the iPad whereas with John Wick the puppy was simply dead.
    It’s because of what they represent and are meant to show: musical instruments and people being crushed. If they had shown these as stylized objects it would have been OK. 
    Seeing the face being crushed made me think of the people’s lives being destroyed who worked making Apple products. Of course that was in the past. Or was it. . . ?

You are way to sensitive for this earth. I don't know how you make it through the day.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 273member
    Nice to see the twitter mob wins again. A few vocal wusses outweigh the silent majority of those who have learned to take a joke, or just don't care. Grow a thicker skin; the world isn't getting any easier to live in.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,795member
    Kinda scary how it demonstrates the power of fake images to elicit real emotion. Look out election season!
    That side definitely is scary and very real. 

For better or worse, AI is the future and we'll just have to try and adapt to it and hope the good trumps the bad. 

It's not unlike the internet itself but you are right. This election season is going to be major test. 

• Reply 58 of 85
    omasouomasou Posts: 595member
    For all the social media regards, Apple shall be including the following disclaimer on all future advertisements. /s

The ad, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious. No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.

No real objects were harmed in the making of this ad.
    edited May 10
  • Reply 59 of 85
    I fixed the ad for them

Exactly…Expanding not Crushing. Creativity any time any where. 

I would hypothesize that because of the generations of digital hardware and software developed over the past 30-40 yrs more people are being creative than ever before and to pack the breadth of capabilities into the phones, tablets and computers of today is just amazing. 

Any analog artists are still being artists using the tools they want to use. 
    sflagel
  • Reply 60 of 85
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,022member
    omasou said:

The difference Steve Jobs was an owner founder he had more power than a hired hand like Tim Cook see examples Elon, Howard Hughes, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison and Zuckerberg most (EU, DOJ, public) see Tim Cook as a temporary executive......

Tim Cook would never have banned the abomination called Flash.

edited May 10