Apple Vision Pro 2 may be half the price of the original claims sketchy rumor

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

If a questionable rumor is to be believed, the next version of the Apple Vision Pro could be out by 2026, and cost half the price of the first model.

Apple Vision Pro at Apple Park
Apple Vision Pro at Apple Park

It is widely expected that Apple is working on creating successive versions of the Apple Vision Pro, following its introduction on the market. Speculation about the next model continues, with a dodgy claim about the second-gen model.

According to a post on X by @Revegnus1 on Friday, the second version of the Apple Vision Pro will be arriving in 2026.

The price of the headset will allegedly be between $1,500 and $2,500. If true, this could make the headset less than half the $3,500 price of the first-gen model at the low end of the range.

The tweeter adds that it is entering the Chinese SeeYa supply chain. Component samples from the chain are said to have already been sent to Apple for evaluation.

SK Hynix and Samsung are reportedly supplying LLW DRAM for the device. LLW is Low Latency Wide I/O DRAM, a form of memory that offers 128GB/s of bandwidth per module.

Somewhat questionable

The tweeter's claim is suspect in a few ways. For a start, the account is only a few days old, therefore it does not have any real history to judge rumor accuracy.

That said, since its introduction, the account has manged to make a number of leak and rumor posts in a short space of time. Most of the claims are about Apple, though there is some discussion about Android and Samsung.

There is also the possibility that this is a previous leaker who went by the name of Revegnus or @Tech_Reve, who was the source of many rumors about Apple products. The @Tech_Reve account previously made fairly reasonable claims about Apple's unit shipments, and discussed TSMC's 2nm process.

The @Tech_reve account has since been deactivated on X, which lends to the theory that the @Revegnus1 account could be a return of the leaker. But even so, there's no guarantee it's the same leaker and not someone else using the same name as a quick way to gain authority.

Other rumors and speculation about the Apple Vision Pro follow-up from leakers with substantial track records also point to a potential update as soon as the summer of 2025, though possibly running into 2026.

This does mean the leaker's release date timing seems plausible, but certainly not about the price.

There have also been claims that a cheaper model of headset is also in the works, which could surface at around the same timeframe.

However, even this consumer-grade version could remove just hundreds off the price through changes in components. One October report proposed a significantly refined consumer headset could be cheaper, but still around $2,000.

The first-generation Apple Vision Pro is also extremely expensive for Apple to produce. Estimates for the so-called "bill of materials" in February put the cost of components at about $1,542 per headset.

Unless Apple has made a significant breakthrough in cost savings, halving the price of the "Pro" model therefore seems unlikely if the consumer version can't do the same.

Rumor Score: Unlikely

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    JamesCudeJamesCude Posts: 53member
    Even at 1/5 the price it still lacks a compelling use case and mind-blowing experiences.

They should have made an awesome, persistent VR world you could visit in the style of Apple’s HQ. 

Instead, they relied on developers who responded with mostly simple one-use and done apps.
    VictorMortimerkkqd1337neoncatwilliamlondonrmusikantowelijahg
  • Reply 2 of 20
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,987member
    My concern is that it will also be half as good. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    omasouomasou Posts: 606member
    VR may have great professional use cases but for mass user adoption and utility Apple should focus on AR and lightweight glasses
    edited May 10
  • Reply 4 of 20
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,727member
    I can definitely see this coming in at $2,499
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 5 of 20
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 446member
    Unless they can AT LEAST half the price there is never going to be a significant consumer market for this thing 
    williamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 6 of 20
    jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 127member
    JamesCude said:
    Even at 1/5 the price it still lacks a compelling use case and mind-blowing experiences.

They should have made an awesome, persistent VR world you could visit in the style of Apple’s HQ. 

Instead, they relied on developers who responded with mostly simple one-use and done apps.
    Golly, it’s been out less than six months, hasn’t seen a WWDC yet and you’re ragging on developers?  Or did you forget to end your comment with an “/s” (sarcasm)?
    Sounds like a lack of vision and no appreciation to give pros some time to develop more sophisticated Apps.  

I haven’t accessed Disney content yet but they’ll kick it up a notch for sure as will Apple TV+.
    On the media consumption side it still needs time to adapt storytelling to a new experience, but it will come. 

Of course one push on content might be immersive adult content and do what was done for the fast adoption of VCRs. 

It might take another season in sports to see immersive game summaries and/or replays and still longer wait to see live events produced for spatial viewing, but I expect it will come.  Imagine seeing a replay of a soccer goal from a 3D camera mounted on the soccer goal—seeing a terrifying soccer ball screaming in at you as though you were a helpless goalie. Or a catcher’s helmet capturing a 90 mph sinker or curveball seeming to miss you and snap, it’s coming right at you. I for one, am pretty darned excited for that to arrive in the next year or so. 

Then there are uses in industry that you won’t care about nor need personally. But you may benefit from their work product.  
    Maybe you’ll get surgery someday that was better for the use of the Vision Pro (see AppleInsider article on Guided Surgery. Medical schools will no doubt develop curriculum content to better train doctors, nurses and medical technicians.  

Read today’s iPad article on this site about what the iPad was in 2010 compared to now. One year doesn’t make a noticeable difference, but 3 or 4 years for the iPad made a difference.  The same for the Apple Watch after 3 or 4 years.  At 10 (and14) years it’s a big difference and you start to take it for granted and simultaneously be amazed at where we’ve come. 
    Many of us have seen the potential and advancements in the first editions.  But you don’t have to.   That’s okay. 

I suggest watching WWDC in just several weeks and see if perhaps there are some developments that will satisfy you not for a purchase but for use cases for others (even at 5 times your spending budget). 
    edited May 10 williamlondonzeus423FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    kdupuis77kdupuis77 Posts: 120member
    I'm sure the next iteration will be 4x better, lighter, have better battery life and even cost a bit less. This is why I have to push myself to not be an early adopter on new products haha. I still remember enjoying my brand new shiny $499 iPad and then 3 months later the iPad 2 came out and wrecked it haha. Still, I also remember having to pay $1799 for base model iBooks in early 2000s dollars... So for someone who has been buying Apple products for a bit over 20 years now, and given inflation over those years, combined with typical Apple re-sale values, I think we are still doing quite well with what they are offering us. I so badly want to grab the AppleVision Pro, but I'm gonna wait for the better bang for the buck mass appeal version that will inevitably be released.
    iOS_Guy80williamlondonjellybellyrobin huberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 850member
    I am waiting also and in the meantime, will be enjoying the new iPad Pro 13”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,535member
    A leak about a RAM part tells this “leaker” what the cost of a 2026 Vision product is going to be? Yeah, that’s pretty sketchy. 

Notionally, the 2024 iPad Pro 13 could be used as an analog for how cheap Apple can drive a Vision product to. It needs to have a cheaper R1 processor, which supposedly uses wide I/O RAM, and you have to account for 2 microOLEDs versus the single two stack OLED. After 2 years of mass manufacture, perhaps their costs are driven down by half?

If so, $2000 is possible?

Bear in mind that the Vision Pro needs to have upgraded cameras, improved displays in both resolution and refresh rates, better WiFi, etc. the whole gamut of improvements. 

This is going to be marathon, not a sprint. 
    jellybellydanoxmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,943member
    Nope - no rando parts leaker had *any* idea what price point Apple will market a device. That’s upper product leadership only, and they don’t have loose lips. Nobody in the supply chain has any clue over that domain. 
    dewmetmayKierkegaardenmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller13485watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,376member
    I can definitely see this coming in at $2,499
    They have form at that price for the more consumers accessible second tier of a device. 

Sadly that then gives this shotgun rumour credence to claim they are correct even if tone is way off. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Nah this rumour is hogwash.

When AV Pro 2 comes out in 2025/26 it is likely having M5 or M6. M4 was a giant leap from M2, so likely AVP2 will have some serious horsepower to bring to the table and likely by then widely established on device GenAI models in iOS and VisionOS.

Question is what this will enable us to do. Maybe the UI can start predicting intent?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    tshapitshapi Posts: 371member
    Confusion abound.  New Vision Pro 2 will probably be similarly priced to current model. Vision Pro 1 will take a price cut to drive mass adoption. This is what Apple has always done.  1500 is probably the pricing for the legacy model. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,727member
    Nah this rumour is hogwash.

When AV Pro 2 comes out in 2025/26 it is likely having M5 or M6. M4 was a giant leap from M2, so likely AVP2 will have some serious horsepower to bring to the table and likely by then widely established on device GenAI models in iOS and VisionOS.

Question is what this will enable us to do. Maybe the UI can start predicting intent?

On a side note, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple gave the VP a processor update to M4 between now and the Vision Pro 2 release.
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,077member
    tht said:
    A leak about a RAM part tells this “leaker” what the cost of a 2026 Vision product is going to be? Yeah, that’s pretty sketchy. 

Notionally, the 2024 iPad Pro 13 could be used as an analog for how cheap Apple can drive a Vision product to. It needs to have a cheaper R1 processor, which supposedly uses wide I/O RAM, and you have to account for 2 microOLEDs versus the single two stack OLED. After 2 years of mass manufacture, perhaps their costs are driven down by half?

If so, $2000 is possible?

Bear in mind that the Vision Pro needs to have upgraded cameras, improved displays in both resolution and refresh rates, better WiFi, etc. the whole gamut of improvements. 

This is going to be marathon, not a sprint. 

Which means the price isn't going down however what Apple has done in the past is add more features over time and keep the price the same plus-minus 200-300 dollars. An example if I buy the latest iPad 13" it will cost between 2300-2500 w/keyboard and 2TB storage note 2TB wasn't available, the latest comes with more features across the board.

The original iPad Pro 12.9 that I bought 4-5 years ago maxed out cost about the same. The Vision Pro get more features (iteration) M4,M5/R2, more Memory and more features at about the same price. Plus-Minus 200-300 dollars.
    edited May 11 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Even at 1500$ it’s still useless
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 17 of 20
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 73member
    JamesCude said:

Golly, it’s been out less than six months, hasn’t seen a WWDC yet and you’re ragging on developers?  Or did you forget to end your comment with an “/s” (sarcasm)?
    Sounds like a lack of vision and no appreciation to give pros some time to develop more sophisticated Apps.  

Respectfully, I disagree with your statement about not giving developers enough time to develop more sophisticated apps.  Apple has had this product in development for many years and it is in their best interest to have the use case/mind-blowing experience already in place and ready at time of product launch.  If they needed the help of external developer's, they could have provided them with the Vision OS SDK and an NDA starting last year.  You can't tell consumers, please pay us for this product now and we kindly ask that you wait a few more months as we hope developers may provide you with sophisticated Apps after WWDC 2024.  I have no doubt that developers *will* come up with new applications and use cases that will take this product to the next level...but it is the wrong approach to factor that in on a new product release.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    rmusikantowrmusikantow Posts: 107member
    omasou said:
    VR may have great professional use cases but for mass user adoption and utility Apple should focus on AR and lightweight glasses
    What would you do with AR?
    kkqd1337watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 912member
    I'm sure it isn't easy generating daily content for an Apple news site like Appleinsider when Apple, itself, is a famously secretive company. But I have to question the practice and purpose of covering clearly nonsensical "rumors" like this one: totally unsubstantiated from an account that's a few days old about Apple's plans two years from now. And sure, you call it out, right at the top, as almost certain nonsense, but then why bother writing about it at all? It becomes this weird article about how what you're writing is pretty much definitely not true. I could understand this approach if you were debunking a rumor that was at least based on something, but this is more like, "Some random dude posted something, so we're gonna call it "a rumor" and write about it. 
    mattinozamarkapwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Even at 1500$ it’s still useless
    For you.

Kind of like how, even at $0 cost, your comment is useless to me but may have value to someone else.
    danox13485watto_cobra