iPhone 16 Pro may get Apple's brightest display yet

Posted:
in iPhone

The display of the iPhone 16 Pro line could be easier to see in daylight, if a new rumor is accurate.

Apple already includes a very bright display in the iPhone 15 Pro
Apple already includes a very bright display in the iPhone 15 Pro

The iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max are already the brightest iPhones available. The months-away iPhone 16 Pro could end up being even brighter for everyday use.

According to serial leaker Setsuna Digital on Weibo, the iPhone 16 Pro will have a typical maximum brightness of 1,200 nits, and a peak HDR brightness of 1,600 nits.

If taken at face value, this would mean an increase of 200 nits from the typical max brightness of the iPhone 15 Pro. The 1,600 nits for peak HDR content would match the current Pro models.

In a response to queries, the leaker adds that the next iPhone "does not have dual-layer OLED." This is in reference to the Tandem OLED system in the M4 iPad Pro, which uses two OLED layers for its display.

The leaker doesn't offer details of how Apple will actually make the display brighter.

This is not the first time we've heard of Apple considering ways to improve the screen brightness of the iPhone 16 range. In September 2023, it was thought that a micro lens array (MLA) could be used for similar purposes, albeit at a detriment to viewing angles.

Setsuna Digital has a considerable following on Weibo, but doesn't have the track record to match. Previously the leaker said there would be a March iPad launch, which didn't happen.

The account has also made claims about a microLED Apple Watch Ultra arriving in 2025. On the iPhone 16 Pro, there has also been murmors of the ultra-wide camera being upgraded to a 48-megapixel sensor.

Even so, it's not outside the bounds of expectations for Apple to make the screen brighter for the next iPhone generation.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,406member
    Has this been an issue for anyone in the last decade?
    40domiwilliamlondonelijahgOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,309member
    The leaker is just nit picking.😉
    M68000muthuk_vanalingammike1kkqd1337king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    DracoDraco Posts: 44member
    Don't tell anyone, but I heard a rumor that the iPhone 16 will be the best iPhone Apple has ever made. 
    williamlondonOferkdupuis77watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    wikimikiwikimiki Posts: 2member

Quantum dots have the potential to significantly enhance both color purity and brightness in OLED displays. Here's how:

1. Color Purity: Quantum dots are semiconductor nanocrystals that emit light at specific wavelengths when excited. By incorporating quantum dots into OLED displays as a color conversion layer, manufacturers can enhance the purity and range of colors produced. This is because quantum dots can be precisely tuned to emit specific colors by varying their size. This means they can produce highly saturated colors, leading to more vibrant and lifelike images on OLED screens.

2. Brightness: Quantum dots can also improve the brightness of OLED displays. When used as a color conversion layer, quantum dots can convert blue OLED light into highly efficient red and green light. This allows for more efficient use of the blue OLED component, resulting in higher overall brightness without significantly increasing power consumption. Additionally, quantum dots can also help in achieving brighter white light, improving the overall luminance of the display.

Overall, the integration of quantum dots into OLED displays holds promise for enhancing both color accuracy and brightness, leading to better picture quality, improved viewing experiences and power consumption.

40domimuthuk_vanalingamOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    Never had an issue with the iPhone 15 Pro brightness, the only time I will upgrade is when all the camera's are 48mp, especially the selfie camera and they find a proper way to reduce the flares, I guess that will be the 18 or 19, if they do it earlier, I will definitely upgrade.
    Having said that, an extra 200 nits can't be sniffed at
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    M68000M68000 Posts: 845member
    mike1 said:
    Lol
    grandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mike1 said:
    Yes?
    williamlondonkkqd1337
  • Reply 8 of 17
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    Seems like the slowest rumor season ever for the next iPhone Pro. Four months from launch and we're talking about potentially slightly bigger and somewhat brighter screens. As a regular (non-Max) Pro buyer, I don't want a bigger screen and increased brightness will solve a problem that mostly doesn't exist. Either Apple has gotten better at keeping a lid on things or the Sept presentation will be a snooze. They did a pretty good job at keeping the iPad Pro under wraps... the leak about the M4 possibility didn't get out until close to launch--and even then, it was highly speculative--and I don't remember reading anything about the tandem OLED screen they used or the significant trims to thickness and weight. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Phone and watch OLEDs are a different technology from larger OLED displays which is why larger ones are very dim in comparison and why Apple had to go to a tandem display. I see no reason why Apple can’t increase the brightness if its phone displays further. My new Ultra watch gets to 3,000 nits.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    charlesn said:
    Seems like the slowest rumor season ever for the next iPhone Pro. Four months from launch and we're talking about potentially slightly bigger and somewhat brighter screens. As a regular (non-Max) Pro buyer, I don't want a bigger screen and increased brightness will solve a problem that mostly doesn't exist. Either Apple has gotten better at keeping a lid on things or the Sept presentation will be a snooze. They did a pretty good job at keeping the iPad Pro under wraps... the leak about the M4 possibility didn't get out until close to launch--and even then, it was highly speculative--and I don't remember reading anything about the tandem OLED screen they used or the significant trims to thickness and weight. 
    I did read about a tandem display. That was mentioned a few times.

i do want a brighter display though. In sunlight, my 15 Pro Max isn’t at its best. It’s like the question of how fast a computer do you want? Fast enough so that no matter how complex the function, it’s done as soon as I lift my finger from the key. Same thing about brightness. Bright enough so that even in direct sunlight on the brightest day of the year, the screen still looks perfect. That’s a ways to go yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 447member
    My problem is 

- very bright / sunny out, so need a nice bright screen
    - but also with the bright sun, it’s also very hot out
    - phone overheats in bright sun

Outcome - display dims due to overheating 

that does happen right? It’s not just me?
    Ofernapoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    OferOfer Posts: 265unconfirmed, member
    kkqd1337 said:
    My problem is 

- very bright / sunny out, so need a nice bright screen
    - but also with the bright sun, it’s also very hot out
    - phone overheats in bright sun

Outcome - display dims due to overheating 

that does happen right? It’s not just me?
    Yup, happens to me as well all the time in the summer. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Wow! Brightest, really?? You don’t say!

I’ll be in line…..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,412member
    All fine and well, but somebody needs to remind Apple that SIRI isn't so bright.

Yeah, yeah, I know about the forthcoming presentation about AI, but I will believe it only when I see it.  SIRI is basically an idiot right now, and it's so bad that display brightness really can't make up for it.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I think many commentators have missed the point.
    Quantum Dots would provide a brighter screen without a need for more power.
    Therefore, for a given brightness, the iPhone would use less power.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    jdw said:
    All fine and well, but somebody needs to remind Apple that SIRI isn't so bright.

Yeah, yeah, I know about the forthcoming presentation about AI, but I will believe it only when I see it.  SIRI is basically an idiot right now, and it's so bad that display brightness really can't make up for it.
    Siri is fine for basic use. But Apple’s problem is that their concern with privacy means that Siri can leverage out private info when it goes looking for answers off the phone. Maybe we’ll see an improvement when the WWDC is here June 10th.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17

wikimiki said:
    I think many commentators have missed the point.
    Quantum Dots would provide a brighter screen without a need for more power.
    Therefore, for a given brightness, the iPhone would use less power.

Quantum dit technology isn’t a panacea. Samsung uses it for some Tv screens, but not for their phone, tablet or computer OLED displays. It’s very difficult to get that tech down to the needs of small displays. Phone and watch OLEDs are a different technology that that for larger displays. If it could have been easily done, then it would have been done already, but it’s complex and difficult in smaller displays with their very high pixel density, much more dense with far smaller pixels than in the much larger Tv screens.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra