World rocked as YouTubers prove you can eventually break an iPad

Posted:
in iPad

Presumably they get enough clicks out of it to pay for the devices, but once again YouTubers are destroying the new iPad Pro even though Apple's latest design turns out to make that substantially harder this time.

Side view of a bent iPad showing its ports, held by a person against a desk with disassembly tools.
If you break an iPad, it breaks. You heard it here first.

"Can it survive everyday life?" says one YouTuber, JerryRigEverything, as he proceeds to put a new M4 iPad Pro through anything but everyday life.

"Hit subscribe for more videos like this because they're very expensive," says AppleTrack, going wide-eyed at the cost of his own decision to do this nonsense.

YouTubers say they're spending this money so that they and they alone -- apart from all the others -- can prove whether you need to be careful with your iPad and avoid deliberately smashing it. Because of course a YouTuber is going to put an iPad through as much durability testing with scientific rigor as Apple.

Of course, this is all to help us chose the right iPad when we need one to shove under a truck.

It's painful to see the work of thousands of people across the world being treated this way. There is an argument, of course, that Apple is making literally millions of these devices and as long as it's got your money, it won't care.

But forget Apple the company, think of the people who created this iPad. That's their work these YouTubers are so casually defacing and then completely destroying.

And then they're saying gosh, it broke. Every designer, every engineer, every one involved in that iPad is being told they aren't good enough because it's possible to break this thing. Apple fail!

JerryRigEverything does start by showing that his new iPad Pro "might have arrived with a slight bow in the housing." He uses an angle finder to show that, yes, the iPad Pro was 0.1 degrees off perfectly straight.

It just doesn't stay that way as, after cutting the back, scouring the screen and then emulating what happens when you put your back into bending the thing, it bends until it breaks.

JerryRigEverything finds "no glaring build quality issues," and he does say that the 0.1 degree issue is less than he expected. And he's very impressed at Apple's addition of an extra spine that supports the structure.

But then at the end, when he's destroyed the iPad, he says "there's no recovering from this catastrophic failure." Really. What a surprise.

"It is just stupid how strong this new iPad Pro is," says AppleTrack. Uh-huh.

"All things considered the thinnest iPad Pro should not be performing as well as it is," he continues. "A lot of people don't believe me, but as soon as I saw that new iPad Pro, I needed to know like, is it a durability risk?"

"And the answer is no, no, it is not," he says. "These new iPad Pros are going to broadly hold up even though they are ridiculously thin [and] the OLED display, especially the tandem design is crazy durable."

YouTube videos that do this are wasting expensive iPads, and there is not one single benefit to users. Yet they will keep on making these videos that prove very little other than YouTube pays, as long as people keep watching.

Read on AppleInsider

williamlondon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    baka-dubbsbaka-dubbs Posts: 178member
    So apparently the author doesn't see the value in third party validation and that we should just always trust what a company says...  While not scientific, Zach from JerryRigEverything normally does a good of validating screen hardness, testing materials coatings, and doing basic tear downs so you can see water proofing, ease of disassembly, etc.  Not sure why the author seems to have taken this so personally.
    kdupuis77beowulfschmidtwilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 569member
    Probably because it isn't verification. If you are putting your back in to breaking it, that isn't normal use.
    williamlondonjahbladewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 26
    YP101YP101 Posts: 172member
    Another youtuber test put weight on the new and previous ipad pro and both took after 70lb start bend that was press down with point of pressure.
    2024 iPad Pro Is Thinner But Just As Strong? I Put Apple's Claim To The Test! (youtube.com)
    Both of them took 85lb to unusable. Question will be normal everyday use for ipad pro will bend like that?
    Most people put some sort of cover or protection case. Unless you use bare bone ipad pro and cause of camera bump to bend. But even that need at least 70lb pressure.

So stop seating on ipad pro.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,966member
    Called it. Called it a couple of days ago. I knew that there would be idiots calling themselves ‘influencers’ that would do whatever they needed to do to bend the new iPad. Their tests proved nothing. If you work hard enough you can break something, Duh. 
    danoxFidonet127dewmewilliamlondonAnilu_777jahbladewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 26

DAalseth said:
    Called it. Called it a couple of days ago. I knew that there would be idiots calling themselves ‘influencers’ that would do whatever they needed to do to bend the new iPad. Their tests proved nothing. If you work hard enough you can break something, Duh. 
    Very true.  Sam Kohl is a chump. He's also someone who destroyed his Vision Pro for the clicks.  He's been hanging around his buddies Jon Prosser and Luke Miani too much
    danoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 623member
    Tech pundits are just nauseous. Wanton destruction for no reason other than clicks.

I’ve just upgraded from my 6 year old 11” iPad Pro to the latest. It’s never had been in a case. I’ve used it at home, kept it in shoulder bags, used it on the train, on London buses and who knows where else. If I gave it a good polish with a glass cloth you might think it had never been used - no screen cracks or chips and no scratches or case damage.

I reckon when you pay for something expensive then you should look after it. Makes sense to me.
    danoxwilliamlondonAnilu_777jahbladewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 26
    toyshootoyshoo Posts: 5member
    Two YouTubers who need to get a life.  No one would bend their iPads in the manner they have.

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    kdupuis77kdupuis77 Posts: 145member
    First of all, I’m sure Apple themselves destroyed a solid amount of each new iPad for their own durability testing sake before release anyhow. If a couple of YouTube tech channels want to funnel a bit of their click money into funding apple products for the same kind of testing, who cares? Yeah, you won’t catch me trying my hardest to snap my new iPad Pro in half, but I’m glad there is some 3rd party testing available for free for my own reassurance these things can handle average everyday usage.

JerryRigEverything even complemented how much stronger this year’s model is compared to the last one he broke in half a good deal easier. His methodology is always the same on the numerous products he tests which is nice for an apples to apples comparison for tons of tech products, including those not made by apple. It makes financial sense for him as well since his clicks pay for the product and then after he completes his cursory tear down, he will then clean up and photograph the device for his skin collaboration with dBrand.

i don’t care for the videos of people randomly destroying expensive tech for clicks, but these type are at least informative in their nature and allow a first look at the innards before iFixit finishes putting their more in depth videos together.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonAnilu_777beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,308member
    Because there's no value at all in showing potential users just how durable their device is, and what it will and won't withstand by doing things Apple would never publish.  And because no company has ever lied about how durable a device is. /s

I watched JerryRigEverythin's video before seeing this article, and while he does go to great lengths for views, it's not an entirely useless demonstration.  In fact, it's a quite graphic demonstration of just how much punishment the device can, in fact, take.  Even if you believe Apple's claims (which I tend to do, absent evidence otherwise), it's nice to see someone besides Apple demonstrate it.

I know I'm not likely to change anyone's mind, especially not the author's, but just in case...

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    kdupuis77 said:
    First of all, I’m sure Apple themselves destroyed a solid amount of each new iPad for their own durability testing sake before release anyhow. If a couple of YouTube tech channels want to funnel a bit of their click money into funding apple products for the same kind of testing, who cares? Yeah, you won’t catch me trying my hardest to snap my new iPad Pro in half, but I’m glad there is some 3rd party testing available for free for my own reassurance these things can handle average everyday usage.

JerryRigEverything even complemented how much stronger this year’s model is compared to the last one he broke in half a good deal easier. His methodology is always the same on the numerous products he tests which is nice for an apples to apples comparison for tons of tech products, including those not made by apple. It makes financial sense for him as well since his clicks pay for the product and then after he completes his cursory tear down, he will then clean up and photograph the device for his skin collaboration with dBrand.

i don’t care for the videos of people randomly destroying expensive tech for clicks, but these type are at least informative in their nature and allow a first look at the innards before iFixit finishes putting their more in depth videos together.
    I was going to mention the same point. 

Apple will have gone through hundreds of iPads during testing both from a design standpoint and and end use (finished product) viewpoint. 

A few internet users making their, albeit non-real world use, findings public isn't an issue and they also cover a full spectrum of manufacturers and some are actually found to be producing better products than others.

If end users really want tough devices though, they know to look for 'rugged' in the description. 
    kdupuis77muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 26
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,479member
    Have anyone tried bending laptops? I mean, we have plenty of people accidentally sitting on them too.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,469member
    Personally I prefer fixing things vs breaking them but Apple doesn’t publish the results of their own tests so the demonstrations have actual value. Apple breaks a lot more of them in testing than the youtubers do.
    kdupuis77muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,013member
    So… there’s “backlash” if apple creates an ad destroying stuff. 

But someone going through great lengths to destroy an iPad is… fine?

the entire internet is hypocrisy. 

The funny thing is, these breaking efforts proved just how durable the iPad actually is. 
    edited May 16 Anilu_777jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    kdupuis77kdupuis77 Posts: 145member
    avon b7 said:
    kdupuis77 said:

I was going to mention the same point. 

Apple will have gone through hundreds of iPads during testing both from a design standpoint and and end use (finished product) viewpoint. 

A few internet users making their, albeit non-real world use, findings public isn't an issue and they also cover a full spectrum of manufacturers and some are actually found to be producing better products than others.

If end users really want tough devices though, they know to look for 'rugged' in the description. 
    Absolutely agree! Further to the point, while I’m sure Apple is very well aware of how much punishment their products are capable of accepting before catastrophic failure, I am positive most of their design team have watched these bending videos as the latest iPad pros seem specifically redesigned to address the new thinness and the slightly easier “bendabiity” of the past couple releases. I bet the next redesign will have similar horizontal structural support around the USB-C port as JerryRigEverything surmised lol. In the end, we all get more durable tech and I like knowing that anything I do to my shiny new iPad will not likely cause major damage like that haha. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    puiz666puiz666 Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    Wow, what a rant. When I heard how thin the iPad Pro was, I started to wonder about how easy it was going to be to bend or break it, as I still remember the iPhone 6 “bendgate.” My next thought was, surely some YouTubers would try to bend and break it and report back: they have the budget to do that. And they did. And I’m glad. What exactly is wrong here?
    edited May 16 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 16 of 26
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 623member
    puiz666 said:
    Wow, what a rant. When I heard how thin the iPad Pro was, I started to wonder about how easy it was going to be to bend or break it, as I still remember the iPhone 6 “bendgate.” My next thought was, surely some YouTubers would try to bend and break it and report back: they have the budget to do that. And they did. And I’m glad. What exactly is wrong here?
    Because it’s an idiotic waste of time. Nobody who has bought an iPad, from their own money, for their personal use will ever subject it to such a deliberate act of vandalism, so what is it trying to prove? What it proves is, that if it’s an iPad Pro, an iPhone, a TV, a games console, a car, a brick wall, a sheet of glass or an egg carton and you apply enough force you will break it.

This is not news to most people with a working brain. Do we need to see “influencers” or whoever these numpties are, throwing heavier and heavier objects at their lounge window to find out the energy required to smash it so that we can then avoid throwing items that heavy at them?
    williamlondonjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Completely pointless and waste of good products.

Everything will eventually break.

Question is will it stand upto normal everyday use, ?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    JSR_FDEDJSR_FDED Posts: 9member
    Good grief, "World rocked....", hardly. May I suggest a  little less hyperbole is warranted in the headline, and perhaps more substantive research into a story that seems hardly worth reporting on.... at least the way this editorial (if you can call it that) has been published in its present form....
    dewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 26
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 705member
    I'm inspired to test the breakage factor of things. I will now drop a glass on the floor. 

It Broke!

Thanks, Obama!
    williamlondon9secondkox2chasmjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,669member
    Bummer. I was planning to buy a couple of new M4 iPad Pros to use as jack-stands to work on the underside of my car. My day is ruined. Back on the hunt. /s
    9secondkox2williamlondonchasmjahbladewatto_cobra