Apple Vision Pro will get a polish, not an overhaul at WWDC

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited June 7

The forthcoming visionOS 2.0 for Apple Vision Pro at WWDC will not be as significant an update as expected, but will address issues and bring new environments.

Force Quit Applications menu displaying App Store, Calendar, Discord, Drafts, and more apps, overlaid on a website with news articles and a scenic background.
WWDC will see enhancements rather than an overhaul to visionOS

Apple has been testing visionOS 2.0 since at least January 2024, but a new report suggests that its version number won't bring the changes that a whole number update implies. It will, though, offer more than the minor updates that the latest visionOS 1.2 has seen.

According to Bloomberg, visionOS 2 -- codenamed Constellation -- is chiefly concerned with making the Apple Vision Pro software smoother and more polished. There won't be dramatically new features or revisions to existing ones.

However, it is still expected that the new Apple Passwords app will come to the headset. So should more visionOS native versions of iPad apps.

It's also expected that Apple will launch new immersive environments for Apple Vision Pro.

Apple will unveil visionOS 2.0 for Apple Vision Pro during its keynote video at the start of this year's WWDC on June 10, 2024.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,376member
    Yes but if Apple takes the iOS shackles off iPad OS that will benefit Vision
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 552member
    Vision Pro is hobbled by its reliance on replicating a single Mac screen. We don't need screens, we need to be able to place, manage, and stack individual windows.
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    hmlongco said:
    Vision Pro is hobbled by its reliance on replicating a single Mac screen. We don't need screens, we need to be able to place, manage, and stack individual windows.
    Er… Have you USED an AVP?
    danox9secondkox2macguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hmlongco said:
    They probably just mean while using your Mac with it? It's still quite limited to do a lot of tasks with currently on and far from a Mac replacement (so a good Mac workflow is pretty important with it)
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    JamesCudeJamesCude Posts: 53member
    hmlongco said:
    I believe they are referring to the AVP only shows you your connected Mac as a single window vs being able to interact with multiple Mac apps/different windows individually. Which is definitely something that could be improved.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 83unconfirmed, member
    Am I the only one that thinks that AVP has the most to gain from a a new AI Siri with ChatGPT 4o integration? A conversational UI is the holy grail for a device like the AVP. It would be fundamentally transformative for the AVP form factor and would make it infinitely easier to use and navigate the system and to get things done. 

For example, “open the Mount Hood environment, start my podcast, set my windows up around the house the way I had them yesterday and then search for that .pdf file I was working off on Friday about new product strategies. Make a spreadsheet and line chart from the projections in it and then email that to Tim. Then set up a FaceTime meeting at 11am and send the call link to my work team. Once that’s done open up a word document and begin taking dictation”.
    edited June 7 CookItOff9secondkox2egold44
  • Reply 7 of 14
    miiwtwomiiwtwo Posts: 52member
    AVP only needs a "normal" price,

so...  B)
    kiwimacheadwilliamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,478member
    I believe focusing on OS and feature robustness from the get go is a smart move. This will ideally result in a more rapid and smoother feature deployments in the future. More features and fewer hiccups is a great roadmap if you ask me or most developers... yet strategically ignoring the product team's push to market.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,040member
    hmlongco said:
    So...what you're telling me is...you want to be able to use a Mac computer, as a Mac while wearing a Vision Pro? Is there a reason why you can't use the Mac...without the Vision Pro?
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,478member
    JinTech said:
    hmlongco said:
    So...what you're telling me is...you want to be able to use a Mac computer, as a Mac while wearing a Vision Pro? Is there a reason why you can't use the Mac...without the Vision Pro?
    This is a common request. Imagine you're in an airplane or working off-site at a place where you don't have access to multiple screens. You put on your AVP and open multiple displays around you with different macOS applications. Having said that, I bet a pretty penny Apple is hard at work on this feature.
    egold44watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Am I the only one that thinks that AVP has the most to gain from a a new AI Siri with ChatGPT 4o integration? A conversational UI is the holy grail for a device like the AVP. It would be fundamentally transformative for the AVP form factor and would make it infinitely easier to use and navigate the system and to get things done. 

For example, “open the Mount Hood environment, start my podcast, set my windows up around the house the way I had them yesterday and then search for that .pdf file I was working off on Friday about new product strategies. Make a spreadsheet and line chart from the projections in it and then email that to Tim. Then set up a FaceTime meeting at 11am and send the call link to my work team. Once that’s done open up a word document and begin taking dictation”.
    This has me concerned on what I'm going to do with the free time a save if this comes to pass. :smiley:  And for the work at the office peeps I'm sure they only have so many "look busy" task they can perform during the day which those examples would cut into greatly. lol
    edited June 7 williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 12 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,077member
    Releasing AVP to more than one country by the end of the year would help more and I think that will come to pass at WWDC with a announcement, I also hope Apple will introduce new M4 PowerBook laptops too there will never be good time just do it....... 
    edited June 7 9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,885member
    Meh. Next product please. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 14 of 14

Absolutely agree — Vision Pro has the potential to evolve into the ultimate AI device.  The screen is right in front of your eyes, and the microphones are right near your mouth.  Accuracy should be near 100%.
    watto_cobra