Apple plans slimmest iPhone 17 & MacBook Pro designs following iPad Pro success

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Has Jony Ive entered the building again? How will battery life not suffer? 
    Your comment assumes no other advances will be made in shrinking components, making more power efficient components, denser battery tech, better internal design of components, and/or more efficient SW.
    Battery technology has been lagging for years and suddenly in two years time it’s dramatically going to improve? There’s only so much they can do via software manipulation. It truly would be a miracle if Apple provided real all day battery life in phones that aren’t the size of the Pro Max but then they would be losing out on the $$ they make from battery replacements. 
    1) Things do advance, even if slowly. Sometimes, it's just the efficiency of the packaging, even if the density of the cells isn't changing.

2) You only addressed 2 things of many that can affect battery life.

3) You say "there's only so much they can do" and yet I can point to any number of iPhones, iPads, or Mac laptops to show how their battery life is considerably better while being much lighter and faster than they used to be.
    Then my iPhone 12 Mini should be providing me with better battery life with the advancements in iOS technology yet with each iOS update I am getting less battery life. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 51
    XedXed Posts: 2,690member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Your comment assumes no other advances will be made in shrinking components, making more power efficient components, denser battery tech, better internal design of components, and/or more efficient SW.
    Battery technology has been lagging for years and suddenly in two years time it’s dramatically going to improve? There’s only so much they can do via software manipulation. It truly would be a miracle if Apple provided real all day battery life in phones that aren’t the size of the Pro Max but then they would be losing out on the $$ they make from battery replacements. 
    1) Things do advance, even if slowly. Sometimes, it's just the efficiency of the packaging, even if the density of the cells isn't changing.

3) You say "there's only so much they can do" and yet I can point to any number of iPhones, iPads, or Mac laptops to show how their battery life is considerably better while being much lighter and faster than they used to be.
    Then my iPhone 12 Mini should be providing me with better battery life with the advancements in iOS technology yet with each iOS update I am getting less battery life. 
    The OS generally gets more efficient but it also gets more features which use power. You can often disable many of these new features. Again, you ignore all the other advances that has led to far great batter life over the original iPhone.
    edited June 16 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 51
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 552member
    Not exactly sure what the benefit of a thiner body is going to be when you're basically going to have to maintain a fat camera bump that's at least as larger as it is now.
    dk49williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Apple just needs to make an iPhone Ultra to quiet down the battery hogs. Make it thicc and last 3 days like the Apple Watch Ultra.

Personally, I rather have a thinner and lighter iPhone so when I put mine in a case, it doesn’t have to be a brick. It also helps a lot when I put mine in a running pack on a long run. 
    radarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 51
    M68000M68000 Posts: 777member
    eriamjh said:
    Thinner is great until it bends.  I’m talking to you, iPhone 6.  

Lighter is great until it starts to feel cheap look cheap, and still not be… inexpensive.  I’m talking to you, iPhone 5C.  

Battery life is the number one thing people who can’t convenience charge want more of.   
    I had the 5c and thought it was great at the time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 51
    XedXed Posts: 2,690member
    hmlongco said:
    Not exactly sure what the benefit of a thiner body is going to be when you're basically going to have to maintain a fat camera bump that's at least as larger as it is now.
    Not exactly sure why you aren't you considering the weight drop benefit that we saw in the latest iPad Pro that was recently made thinner.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 51
    YucamYucam Posts: 5member
    iPhone 16 is already so yesterdays...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 51
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,885member
    Doubtful. 

Apple is cranking up the clock speeds and capabilities of their chips, even with the die shrinking. 

Thermal overhead is always a good thing for Macs. 

iPads have always been crazy thin and MacBooks went ultra thin exactly once - to everyone’s chagrin. 

Apple isn’t the type to forget hard-learned history so quickly. 

And it’s not even about bendabiliyy. It’s about maximizing horsepower. 

Apple may want to add Ultra series M5/M6 chips into the MacBook Pros. So they’ll want to keep the leeway for it. 

An iPhone/ipad is one thing, but when you’re cranking away on video, motion, audio, and graphics production with deadlines looming, we need as much horsepower as we can get. With so many of us needing mobile workstations thes days, the laptops are doing the majority of the work. On-device AI is going to be getting after the cpu, so it’s going to need room to breathe. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

The OS generally gets more efficient but it also gets more features which use power. You can often disable many of these new features. Again, you ignore all the other advances that has led to far great batter life over the original iPhone.
    You have an answer for everything, dink. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 51
    rystmrystm Posts: 1member
    DAalseth said:
    I have to get the new model iPhone because it’s a fraction of a millimetre thinner.
    -Nobody-
    But if you were ambivalent about upgrading, this might give you the extra push. I know I'll be buying it.
    radarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 51
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,513member
    omasou said:
    All for thinner but more importantly lighter.

I'd also love a thinner and again lighter iPhone whose weight isn't trying to pull down my pants or makes me wear a belt to stop it.

Thinner == lighter battery b/c Apple will not let it reduce current hours of use, which BTW, my new M4 iPad Pro seems to last much longer doing the same tasks.
    Absolutely. My iPhone 14 Pro Max is probably the heaviest iPhone ever made. It’s a load and you’re not joking about the pants issue. Apple should have included a pair of Apple Suspenders in the box. 

I’d sacrifice some battery life for lighter weight but as you said Apple will find a way to go lighter without losing significant runtime. 

The only downside to Apple’s recent thinny devices for me personally is hand feel and grip. When I take my M2 iPad Pro off its Magic Keyboard I always feel like I’m at risk of dropping it because it’s so thin and slippery. If nothing else I’d like to find a rim/band case that does nothing other than improving the grip around the edges without interfering with the Magic Keyboard mounting and power mechanisms. 
    omasouwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 51
    DAalseth said:
    I have to get the new model iPhone because it’s a fraction of a millimetre thinner.
    -Nobody-
    Uh I’ve said it … and many times. If you like your big clunky iPhone so much just don’t upgrade. The rest of us will. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 51
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,385member
    The last time Apple got on the Thinner-is-better bandwagon was when the Butterfly keyboard existed.  Remember the super thin MacBook with only a single USB-C port?  That wasn't the best of times, despite Apple still making profits hand over fist.

Thinnest In Its Class is nothing more than Marketing fluff.  It doesn't bring tangible benefits to me or any other consumer.  All it does is maintain the same battery life while making it harder to get good audio out of the device.  

I currently have a 16" M1 Max MBP and love it.  To become thinner would mean (1) certainly no increased battery life, (2) more difficulty keeping it cool (while also maintaining the highest clock speeds), and (3) more difficulty getting good sound with decent low end (bass) response.

Sure, sure...  Thinness has some visual wow factor and I will admit I've been an Apple fan so long because it always comes out with aesthetically pleasing machines.  But we Apple lovers are practical people too.  We aren't stupid.  The old you are, the more you know how important the features are, over and above "the looks."

Now if Apple wants to keep thinning out the fanless MacBook Air, that's fine, because I don't buy that class of machine.  Keep the Pro line robust!
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 34 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,106member
    kamilton said:
    Thinner is a “process” goal.  Where is the content?  Apple has stalled.  I don’t care what they introduce but the industry needs something tangible 
    Are you ignorant, trolling, or both?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 51
    chasm said:
    I only carry my phone when I’m traveling, and it’s been a harrowing experience. The battery seems to drain so quickly (see: range anxiety) and I’m constantly having to manage it. What I’d love more than anything: keep the damn phones the same thickness—or make them slightly thicker—and give me solid 18-hours of life.
    They'd need to be LOT thicker and a LOT heavier to give you 18 hours of non-stop usage.

Take a look at the battery pack you probably (or should) have to keep your iPhone charged when you're away from power outlets. It's most likely to be considerably thicker and heavier than your iPhone, especially if you really need 18 hours (when do you sleep?) of "solid" (ie in-use) battery life. Now imagine slapping a screen on that battery and then the computer components on top of that, and that's the weight and thickness of your new iPhone.

It sounds to me like what really needs constant managing here is your phone addiction ...
    Pretty sure they didn’t say anything about 18 hours of nonstop usage. I read it as that they’d like to be able to make it all the way through a day of normal usage before needing to put it on a charger. And I don’t think you give Apple enough credit in their ability to do that if they focused on battery life ahead of increasing thinnage…
    9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 51
    LettuceLettuce Posts: 15member
    Apple is working on a new generation battery. 

That’s how they’ll make the devices thinner.  
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 51
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 984member
    Because I hold my MacBook Pro in the air single-handedly during use…

:| 
    edited June 17 williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 51
    To be fair, predicting that Apple will make thinner devices is a little like predicting the sun will come up tomorrow.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Make the iPhone 1/8” thicker, increase the battery size!
    I'll take 1/4" or more thicker if it comes with a bigger, easily swappable battery.

Thinner has ZERO appeal to me.

I've happily carried phones that were an inch thick.  A week or more on standby?  18 hours of active use?  YES, PLEASE.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    chasm said:
    I only carry my phone when I’m traveling, and it’s been a harrowing experience. The battery seems to drain so quickly (see: range anxiety) and I’m constantly having to manage it. What I’d love more than anything: keep the damn phones the same thickness—or make them slightly thicker—and give me solid 18-hours of life.
    They'd need to be LOT thicker and a LOT heavier to give you 18 hours of non-stop usage.
    GOOD!

I want that!

More battery life, sturdier phone, not seeing the downside here.

beowulfschmidt