Why AAA games promoted by Apple flop in the App Store

Posted:
in iOS

Confirming the fairly obvious, analysis of major iOS game launches including "Death Stranding" and "Assassin's Creed Mirage" has revealed that pricing games at console levels simply doesn't work in the App Store.

Man holding baby in futuristic setting, with dark beach and large rock formations in the background, under a cloudy yellow sky. Text reads 'Death Stranding Director's Cut.'
Death Stranding, a AAA game ported to iOS

Gaming is a big earner for Apple's App Store. Apple's Q1 revenue for the App Store hitting $13 billion, mostly because the iPhone continues to be the world's largest addressable gaming market.

While mobile gaming is big business, attempts to bring actual console games to the platform continue to fail.

Apple has tried to paint its ecosystem as a great platform for game development. It even managed to convince the developers of games such as "Assassins Creed Mirage," "Death Stranding," and the "Resident Evil" series to release them on iPhone and iPad.

Analysis of the games by MobileGamer.biz using data from Appfigures and Appmagic indicates that there have been astoundingly few purchases of each title in the App Store.

Very few payers

Assassin's Creed Mirage

was downloaded approximately 123,000 times since June 6, Appfigures says. However, it has only managed gross revenue of $138,000.

The report believes that the revenue level indicates that fewer than 3,000 people were willing to unlock the full game at $49.99.

Bar chart showing estimated net revenue for Assassin's Creed Mirage from June 6th to 18th, displaying a steady decline from approximately $18K to under $2K.
Assassin's Creed Mirage launch sales on iOS

The game performed worse than a previous made-for-mobile release. Assassin's Creed Rebellion launched in November 2018, but managed 1.9 million downloads and $981,000 in revenue for the same post-launch period.

More damning is that Rebellion saw revenue grow 82% over the launch period, versus a 79% decline for Mirage.

The only people who will know the real numbers are Apple and Ubisoft, but the figures aren't off by an order of magnitude that would be required for the ports to recoup labor costs for the port. Another firm offered higher, but still dismal, numbers of 279,000 downloads and $221,000 in revenue for Mirage.

There is a disparity, but it's still close enough to demonstrate that the sales of Mirage hasn't yet reached the millions of dollars level.

More gaming bombs

The problem isn't just felt by Ubisoft. Others that Apple prominently featured in its presentations have suffered a similar fate.

Resident Evil 4 has been downloaded 357,000 times, analysts say, with revenue of just $208,000. At a $29.99 price to unlock, about 7,000 people actually paid for the full game.

Resident Evil 7 managed to hit 817,000 downloads, said Appmagic, and $420,000 in revenue. With a cheaper $15.99 price, that equates to about 34,000 people paying for it.

Death Stranding has also failed to capture the audience, earning $348,000 to date. Requiring an up-front purchase of $19.99, the game hasn't been downloaded enough to be listed by Appfigures, but it probably managed just 23,000 sales.

Painful price points

The biggest problem these AAA-style releases on iPhone has relates to money, and it's something the analysts agree on. With premium mobile games priced at between $5 and $10, along with a sea of titles offering free-to-play gaming, that makes for a tough market for a high-priced game to penetrate.

There's also the allure of console gaming that can get in the way.

"Players who can afford flagship mobile devices and $50 for games are likely to have the resources to enjoy games on PC and console as well," said Appmagic's Andrei Zubov. "On the other hand, players who can't afford gaming devices or high-performance mobile phones are less likely to make a one-time $50 purchase.

A hooded figure holding a hidden blade in a Middle Eastern cityscape, with a crescent moon, bird, and historic architecture in the background.
It costs $49.99 to unlock Assassin's Creed Mirage on iOS

Appfigures' Randy Nelson adds that the iPhone 15 Pro models and similar smartphones have made "enormous progress towards technological parity with current-gen consoles." However, Nelson fears that consumers may not actually know about the performance gains on mobile.

"It's uncertain how many actually realize it and consequently even consider they might be able to play the latest Resident Evil or Assassin's Creed on their phone," he continued.

An expensive experiment

Apple has introduced more performance to its devices over the years, and has really started to make a push for gaming. Not only on mobile, but also to get more games to work on Mac using tools like the Game Porting Kit.

During WWDC, it introduced a second-generation version of the kit, as well as how multiple titles will be brought to the platform in the future.

As for the developers and publishers witnessing the relatively small trickle of sales, this could sway some away from continuing on the platform if it doesn't improve.

That said, the aforementioned AAA games aren't necessarily the most expensive ones to produce on an iPhone or iPad.

Various video game covers arranged in a grid, featuring diverse characters and themes including action, adventure, fantasy, and science fiction.
Some of the games being ported to macOS

With games often built for multiple platforms at once, in part thanks to cross-platform tools like the Unreal Engine, developers can make games for multiple consoles and for PC at the same time.

In the case of games like Death Stranding, the various graphical resources and media needed for it already exist for the console versions. It seems like it's a big-budget endeavor, but the money's already been spent on the non-iPhone versions.

Bringing AAA games to mobile therefore doesn't require a complete rebuild of the game from the ground up in the majority of cases. Changes to the interface, as well as some in-game elements to adapt it to touchscreen gaming, still require programmer labor, though, to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars for the complete job.

At these low levels of revenue, the publishers have so far lost money on their investments. But, given that games could cost tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to produce, mobile ports can be a drop in the financial ocean.

Ports cost money to produce, but far from the cost of making an entire game from scratch.

There's also the prospect of AAA mobile gaming becoming more accepted by gamers as time moves on. With more major titles arriving on iOS and iPadOS, as well as Mac, this makes Apple's ecosystem seem more like a legitimate gaming platform.

Even so, it's a struggle at the moment as the AAA ports are only really playable on Apple's flagship models of iPhone and iPad. This automatically reduces the potential sales compared to having wider iPhone compatibility.

It also doesn't help that, in these particular cases, we're talking about games that have seen success on consoles quite some time ago. Death Stranding originally shipped in November 2019, Resident Evil 4 was first released in January 2005, and Resident Evil 7 went on sale in 2017.

The games only really had Apple's announcements as the marketing for the ported versions, with little other real-world advertising. You could expect that, if launched alongside the console editions and benefiting from the increased multi-platform marketing efforts, there would also be more sales.

It certainly won't happen overnight for the market. But, if the pricing issue is worked out and with enough titles available, it could one day become a viable option for gamers instead of the latest console.

So long as those who make the games can bear to wait that long.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    IMO, it looks like a portion of the blame can go to the developers themselves. The iPhone versions of many of these ports sound like they were fairly lazy with marginal frame rates and bare minimum approaches to graphic fidelity. 
    edited June 26 JBKwilliamlondonpulseimagesAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,785member
    The cost is certainly a factor, as is the incompatibility with anything else. I can get Stray on the Mac App Store for $30, or I can wait for a Steam sale and get it for $20. The Mac App Store doesn't have sales that I am aware of. And if I get the game on Steam, I can play it on Mac or Windows. Why would I ever buy it on the MAS?
    dewmeneoncatJBKravnorodomAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 36
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,480member
    Sorry not a big gamer here. But if you buy a game on console, don't you get the same game on mobile for less or free? Or even buy power-ups on console instead. I would assume people play console games on console unless they're away from home.
    williamlondonpulseimagesAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    humbug1873humbug1873 Posts: 144member
    Let me guess ... they release AAA-Games months after the console/PC release and are wondering why people are not/no longer interested in buying the game for the iPhone!? Of course that makes no sense/even less if they charge a high list price for old games.
    Also, based on my own experience ports usually are horrible, so I wouldn't touch them with a long pole.
    Where are the AAA-Games that are Apple First?

I would also guess, that the whole Apple Game fetish will eventually die/disappear like the other 3(?) times they promised to push for games, that never shown any lifesigns.
    edited June 26 JBKwilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Keep building up the game library, and please use M-series CPU to make the coming Apple TV a gaming console, the comparison of the price tag with a real console or PC will turn the table around.
    There is a market space between casual mobile gamer and console gamer.
    lowededwookieJBKbloggerblogjas99Alex1Npurplepearwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,150member
    I’m with Raymondai, once AppleTV is given console power and people make proper games for it then we’ll finally see a change in attitude towards gaming on Apple gear.

The problem in the past with AAA games on Mac is they didn’t actually port the games. They lazily wrapped the Windows version in Cider and expected Mac users to be happy with the performance hit running an emulator gives.

Ive said it once and I’ll say it a million times, developers and publishers are their own worst enemies. No one is going to pay top dollar for a AAA game being wrapped in Cider that doesn’t have the same performance or features as the PC or console games. I mean how many games ported to Macs can play multiplayer against PC?

But Apple is changing that with GameKit and Metal the latter of which has been prove. In many cases to be more powerful than DirectX. In fact in the past, when a game has been written for Mac hardware alongside PC hardware the Macs have outperformed the PCs. World of Warcraft was one of them.

This leads to the point made in the article, most people just don’t understand how powerful Macs are compared to their PC counterparts mostly because PC users are pathetically moulded to believe higher numbers equals better performance.
    JBKelijahgjas99Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    I bought AC: Mirage for iPadOS the first week, when the full game could be bought for (I think) $25. Been playing it since with my otherwise unused PS4 game controller, and it’s been great. M1 iPad, zero crashes, 30 FPS frame rate. I believe the game was released wide late last year, so I can imagine a $25 mobile aftermarket for AAA titles doing relatively well, if expectations are set. More than $25 is doubtful for now, but it’s taken console games years to normalize $70 titles, so maybe in time.
    JBKjas99Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    ransonranson Posts: 78member
    Let me guess ... they release AAA-Games months after the console/PC release and are wondering why people are not/no longer interested in buying the game for the iPhone!? Of course that makes no sense/even less if they charge a high list price for old games.
    Also, based on my own experience ports usually are horrible, so I wouldn't touch them with a long pole.
    Where are the AAA-Games that are Apple First?

I would also guess, that the whole Apple Game fetish will eventually die/disappear like the other 3(?) times they promised to push for games, that never shown any lifesigns.
    Did you read the article? No guessing required. The article states quite directly that the games in question were released on Apple platforms years or even decades after the original PC/Console release.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,394moderator

"Players who can afford flagship mobile devices and $50 for games are likely to have the resources to enjoy games on PC and console as well," said Appmagic's Andrei Zubov. "On the other hand, players who can't afford gaming devices or high-performance mobile phones are less likely to make a one-time $50 purchase. 

These games are restricted to A17 Pro so only iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max can run them. According to the following, these models made up around 55% of sales:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/24/05/01/iphone-15-pro-is-unexpectedly-the-sales-champion-of-spring-2024

This would be around 100m units worldwide.

Sales will be affected when the games are only being playable on <10% of the userbase and the people who own those devices likely aren't kids who are into mobile gaming.

Once A17 Pro makes its way into more mainstream models, AAA games will be more viable on mobile.

Even with 10x unit sales eventually, revenue in the single digit millions is still low vs AAA releases. RE4 sold 7m copies at $60 = $420m across the main platforms Playstation, XBox and PC, roughly $140m each. For iOS to be considered a tier-1 platform, it would need to top $50m.

To get another 10x in revenue, games have to be adapted to the mobile business model, which is using micro-transactions e.g first level free, $10 for the rest of the game, $5 for weapons/health packs, $5 for DLC, $5 for character styles. Businesses are reluctant to lower prices but it's the only way it works on mobile and the unit volume is higher if the game is accessible to the whole 1b userbase.

Within 3 years, this userbase will be over 0.5b and will top 1b in 6 years. If they price the base game at $10, they can expect 1m+ paid users.

Apple should promote big budget and popular games more in the App Store in a special section (premium games), it's not fair on developers who put such high budgets into a game to be lumped in with thousands of low budget games. If a low budget game like Wordle becomes popular then it can go in there too. The premium games should be the first games presented to every App Store user and hide apps they already have installed by default.
    edited June 26 elijahgAlex1Nmacplusplus
  • Reply 10 of 36
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,416member
    Console games are meant to be played on big TV screens. They are immersive experiences, not something you fiddle with while waiting in line or riding the train. I suspect that would be a major impediment to playing these games on a phone even if they were free. 

To my way of thinking, the most natural port of AAA games is from PCs to Macs . That is a case where the form factor is the same. In some cases, like civilization 6, the iPad can work too (civ6 has had quality control issues, but that is not the fault of the iPad ). But in general, just because it is technically feasible to put a game on a device doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 159member
    I’m with Raymondai, once AppleTV is given console power and people make proper games for it then we’ll finally see a change in attitude towards gaming on Apple gear.

The problem in the past with AAA games on Mac is they didn’t actually port the games. They lazily wrapped the Windows version in Cider and expected Mac users to be happy with the performance hit running an emulator gives.

Ive said it once and I’ll say it a million times, developers and publishers are their own worst enemies. No one is going to pay top dollar for a AAA game being wrapped in Cider that doesn’t have the same performance or features as the PC or console games. I mean how many games ported to Macs can play multiplayer against PC?

But Apple is changing that with GameKit and Metal the latter of which has been prove. In many cases to be more powerful than DirectX. In fact in the past, when a game has been written for Mac hardware alongside PC hardware the Macs have outperformed the PCs. World of Warcraft was one of them.

This leads to the point made in the article, most people just don’t understand how powerful Macs are compared to their PC counterparts mostly because PC users are pathetically moulded to believe higher numbers equals better performance.
    Most of this is complete nonsense and an insult to companies like Aspyr and Feral Interactive that worked tirelessly porting games using native toolkits for years. 
    williamlondonctt_zhAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36

IMO, it looks like a portion of the blame can go to the developers themselves. The iPhone versions of many of these ports sound like they were fairly lazy with marginal frame rates and bare minimum approaches to graphic fidelity. 
    Or maybe Apple overstated the performance of its products.
    JBKwilliamlondon9secondkox2ctt_zh
  • Reply 13 of 36
    neoncat said:
    The iPhone runs close to expected, these AAA titles are next-gen games and really heavy for mobile. The iPhone 15 Pro is somewhere around 2TFLOPs, close to PS4 and an Nvidia 1050. These games are designed for 10TFLOPs+ (M1 Max) next-gen consoles.

This is how a 1050 runs, RE4 gets 30FPS 1080p low:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Notebook.178614.0.html

There aren't many new games on that page in green but a few that performed well include Diablo 4, Elden Ring, Forza 5, Far Cry 6, Mass Effect, Doom Eternal, Jedi Fallen Order, Modern Warfare 2019 and there are quite a few further down the page. It's best suited for 2019 or older games.

iPhone gets 30FPS in RE4 too and it looks ok:

Apple also hasn't integrated frame-generation in MetalFX yet, which is in AMD FSR 3. This can boost framerate 1.5-2x.

These ports are well made with native Metal renderers and MetalFX support but there's only so much they can do with mobile computer power. The iPhone is only around 2-3x the Nintendo Switch. It's a good baseline performance to have though, every iPhone going forward will be capable of running titles like this and the userbase will exceed consoles in a year (not all gamers but it's a good sized audience).

The need for a controller also hinders sales of these kind of titles on mobile because there isn't a model that is well promoted, most people wouldn't know where to start. Consoles all ship with good controllers. I always felt Apple should ship a minimal controller that just has shoulder bumpers but uses the touch screen for movement and aim and they can help promote 3rd party controllers inside the game pages on the App Store.
    edited June 26 neoncatwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Marvin said:
    The iPhone runs close to expected
    Indeed, and I think whatever performance they're able to get out of an iPhone is to be lauded. Amazing, even! The ability to play any of these games at any level on a mobile device is near magic. But there's a certain narrative on display in the comments here that is tantamount to glitter throwing, that somehow an iPhone is going to push rock-solid 60fps with everything set to to the max because a lot of nonsensical, out-of-context marketing pap about the performance of Apple Silicon has been swallowed without consideration about the complexity of games and Apple's wholly insular development stack.

Add to it the churlish "blame the developer" attitude, when all of these most recent games were produced with direct help from Apple, and one can imagine why developers would have dim interest in the platform. A pittance in sales is not worth the complexity to achieve baselines of performance or the agitation from an entitled, ungrateful user base. 
    edited June 26 williamlondonelijahgctt_zhAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 36
    elijahg said:
    The cost is certainly a factor, as is the incompatibility with anything else. I can get Stray on the Mac App Store for $30, or I can wait for a Steam sale and get it for $20. The Mac App Store doesn't have sales that I am aware of. And if I get the game on Steam, I can play it on Mac or Windows. Why would I ever buy it on the MAS?
    There is a sale on right now now https://apps.apple.com/gb/story/id1750125921 (UK link)
     Stray is not on sal this time but I think it was a few weeks ago.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,091member
    neoncat said:

Or the gameplay just isn't any good which is true for most of the games out there. Former Gamer Amiga and Mac 1895-2005).

Where are updated Games like the original, Jedi Academy, Jedi Outcast, Castle Wolfenstein, Red Orchestra, American McGee's Alice (has a great soundtrack which is in the Apple Music store currently), Battle Chess, Lemmings, Defender of the Crown. With any game great gameplay is king how many games out there are centuries old? Why gameplay. Some digital games (can) be the same.

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,897member
    The reason why aaa games don’t sell on the App Store is because they don’t arrive h Tik they’ve already saturated the market on console. 

If Apple would strike a deal to get limited time launch exclusives, that would change rapidly. 

Also, some of the aaa games on the App Store are games in certain creepy niches thst not everyone likes: resident evil… or popular but boring walking simulators like death stranding. 

Apple should go for it and sign the next mass effect for launch and other broadly appealing games. And get there first or at the same time. 

I appreciate seeing real games finally available for my Mac. But after already buying them for my consoles, there is no point. I’d rather have them on max, but they simply arrive too late. 

Pricing has nothing to do with it. 
    edited June 26 neoncatAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    JoharJohar Posts: 16member
    I would assume that a very small portion of AAA gamers are even remotely tempted to spend AAA money on a mobile port. You play these games for the immersion, rather than just a quick time-killing session when taking a break or waiting for the bus. Personally, I'd rather have my teeth pulled out than playing a major AAA title on a phone.

The screen is comparatively tiny, which not only wastes a lot of the graphical appeal, it also makes visual ques much harder to notice. Perhaps even more damning, the interactions of the original games were designed for either a console controller or mouse and keyboard. It's not unusual to have 15 or more keybinds. Squeezing that kind of complex control scheme, which you ideally want to master in a flow state, onto a smallish touch screen often results in a very unsatisfactory experience.

Believeing that porting pricy and dated AAA consaole/PC games to iPhones, or even iPads, would be a successful strategy, just reveals a deep ignorance of hardcore gamer preferences.
    edited June 26 neoncatAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    neoncat said:
    Marvin said:
    The iPhone runs close to expected
    there's a certain narrative on display in the comments here that is tantamount to glitter throwing, that somehow an iPhone is going to push rock-solid 60fps with everything set to to the max because a lot of nonsensical, out-of-context marketing pap about the performance of Apple Silicon has been swallowed without consideration about the complexity of games and Apple's wholly insular development stack.
    People don't always get the right impression of what the hardware is capable of, it pretty much scales with the power profile, iPhone is essentially half the low-end Mac:

iPhone 5W (2TFLOPs), M3 10W (4TFLOPs), M3 Pro 20W (8TFLOPs), M3 Max 40W (16TFLOPs)

There may be a way to pull off more impressive performance. I wonder if the Neural Engine or similar chip could be used to do real-time lighting in games, which is one of the most intensive parts of a modern game. Hardware raytracing is designed to do ray intersections but it's unusably slow on low-end hardware so most games still use traditional lighting engines. The Neural Engine can handle 38 trillion ops/s (possibly 8-bit, might be 16), the iPhone GPU is 2 trillion floating-point (32-bit) ops/s.

If Apple had a Metal Lighting API where a game dev could pass geometry with emissive and transparency properties (can be a voxel/signed-distance field volume) and lights with color info in and it would compute a form of screen-space GI and pass the shaded buffer back to the game, that must be able to speed up rendering and it would mean devs don't have to use lightmaps or a game engine's slow lighting engine. Given how important games are on mobile, a hardware-accelerated lighting engine would be very useful. This would be like hardware-accelerated Lumen, which can also use hardware raytracing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc1PPYl2uxA&t=366s

The hardware lighting engine would do the shadow pass from geometry, the GPU would do the unlit albedo texture pass with materials using the buffer from the lighting pass and post-process the output to match the art direction on other platforms.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    OferOfer Posts: 262unconfirmed, member
    The biggest reason I don’t play console games on my iPhone is control. Using touch for control without dedicated buttons sucks. It’s not worth it. 
    9secondkox2Alex1Nmacpluspluswatto_cobra