Five years later, the Apple Card is a huge but controversial success

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Apple Pay launched in 2014, not 2013.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    When are they going to introduce the Apple Reverse Mortgage and which actor from an old TV series is going to be the spokesperson?
    “I’d like to talk to you today about die-uh-BEETUS.”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Great pity though that in the UK we're still waiting.....
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 33
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,129member
    Great card, great service, with simple and obvious perks. Classy-looking too.

I would, however, love for Apple to make the physical card a little less prone to scratching too easily and getting scuzzy (yes, I know I can request a replacement).
    I asked for a physical card mostly as a trophy. It arrived USPS, went in my safe drawer, and has never left it. There are some things it is excellent for (large Apple purchases at 3% and no interest financing) but there are other cards that are better for other specific purchases. I've yet to find a use for the physical card at 1% cash back that another card isn't way better for. But yes, what it does well, it does *very* well.

Interestingly, by first mac purchase (a duo 230 and peripherals) on an "Apple Credit Card" that I had to dig out. It says "Monogram Credit Card Bank of Georgia."
    StrangeDayszeus423
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Would be super if Apple Card could expand geographically at pace already in addition to broader Apple Pay accelerating geographic reach.

Feels like a slam dunk to also disintermediate local finance partners that serve the iPhone subscription programs. Using these companies today is sand in the suncream for the overall renewal process.

Also use Apple Card and Apple Pay Later to transition more Apple devices into subscription offerings. Personally i would love to have iPad Pro and Watch on such plans.

Especially in the Eurozone countries there are opportunities for passporting services cross border with minimal friction and many embedded finance services offerings. Likely Apple has full insight into this and will hopefully pounce.

So Apple please insert coin(s) to continue and level up.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 33
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,236member
    Would be super if Apple Card could expand geographically at pace already in addition to broader Apple Pay accelerating geographic reach.

Feels like a slam dunk to also disintermediate local finance partners that serve the iPhone subscription programs. Using these companies today is sand in the suncream for the overall renewal process.

Also use Apple Card and Apple Pay Later to transition more Apple devices into subscription offerings. Personally i would love to have iPad Pro and Watch on such plans.

Especially in the Eurozone countries there are opportunities for passporting services cross border with minimal friction and many embedded finance services offerings. Likely Apple has full insight into this and will hopefully pounce.

So Apple please insert coin(s) to continue and level up.

Sounds like flimflammery……
  • Reply 27 of 33
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,236member
    MplsP said:
    The article is a nice recap of the history of the Apple Card, but the headline is a bit misleading.  Today the Apple Card is no more "controversial" than Discover and AmEx.
    Agreed - the only controversy was the alleged sex discrimination, which in reality was Goldman Sachs. Judging by comments I saw, I'm not so sure it was sex discrimination as much as an inept scoring algorithm used by GS.

David despite being rich is a simp probably married a relatively poor woman?, who thought by virtue of being married to a rich man thought she should be entitled to the same credit rating by virtue of getting married to him, and when she confronted David about her low credit rating, he was so afraid of her, that he transferred blame to Apple and Goldman Sachs.

Behind the scenes any competent shark like financial institution (Goldman Sachs), isn’t going to confer the same credit rating or money to people just by them getting married, and the same, probably applies to sons and daughters of a very rich person they’re not gonna give them the same credit rating or money either, the possibilities of fraud are just too great in such circumstances, the sons and daughters or a new wife, running up debt in the name of a sugar daddy is as old as the hills. In such cases, the competent shark financial institution is going to require the sugar daddy to assume all liability upfront no matter how loud the new spouse or the offspring scream.

edited August 2023 StrangeDaysmarklark
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I have been using the A Card since it was introduced,  I rarely use the physical card just the app, I travel extensively and 99% of my purchases having used the app on my phone has been flawless, I love the "no foreign transaction fees " which would have been a killer for me and paying it off at the end of the month is easy within the app and combining the "savings account" also within the same application makes me consider switching all my banking needs to I dear say Apple, I have other credit cards which are just messy and convoluted when you have to call there fees, 1-800 number etc and would consider dropping those another great product by apple that just worked for me 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 33
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 705member
    The Apple Card simply replaced the 0% interest option I got on my Barclay card. With the addition of 3% cash back. I only use it for Apple purchases directly from Apple. Nothing else. The titanium card (now cards since the original one expired and they sent me a new one) gathers dust in a drawer.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    I use my Apple Card all the time. They probably hate me though because I pay the balance off as soon as it posts. I mainly use it for the cash back and the savings account. Since the savings account has a decent APR I have most of my savings there so I can gain as much interest as possible. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    Thanks for not having this Americanist Toy in my country. It attracts the wrong people with the wrong intentions towards the wrong habits.
    And Tim knows it, because it’s part of his bottom of the pyramid strategy targeted at all Joe Six-packs that need that pseudo-titanium status symbol.
    And with Goldman Sachs involved, there will always be some hidden agenda or 3.
    What a great partner & self-interest icon is that.
    I was going to com on here and bitch about the unavailability of an Apple Card in my country after five years, but after seeing this comment I feel embarrassed.
    MacPromuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Thanks for not having this Americanist Toy in my country. It attracts the wrong people with the wrong intentions towards the wrong habits.
    And Tim knows it, because it’s part of his bottom of the pyramid strategy targeted at all Joe Six-packs that need that pseudo-titanium status symbol.
    And with Goldman Sachs involved, there will always be some hidden agenda or 3.
    What a great partner & self-interest icon is that.

Sour grapes much?  "It's not available to me so it must be shyte!"

Having this much angst over a credit card should be embarrassing.
    MacPromuthuk_vanalingammarklark
  • Reply 33 of 33
    And...  Sometimes near the Christmas holidays, the Apple Cards offers 6% back on Apple purchases.   :^)