Cellular Apple Watch buyers call out Verizon's maddening activation block

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple Watch owners can't activate their cell plans through Verizon -- unless they bought the device from the carrier, or complain at length.

A wrist wearing a smartwatch with a black band and a watch face displaying a radial pattern with white clock hands.
Apple Watch Series 10

Verizon
has frustrated Apple Watch users before, but now it is preventing some from connecting to the cell network at all. AppleInsider has been contacted by users reporting having to spend hours on the phone to Verizon support for what appears to be a common issue.

According to one user's summary that others are saying fits their experiences, the issue is specifically over whether an Apple Watch is bought through Verizon itself, or not. An Apple Watch sold by the carrier will activate correctly and without difficulty.

"When Verizon receives product from Apple for their inventory, Verizon logs the IMEI number into their system," writes user Tim. "When you go through... activation, the Watch App looks for the IMEI [International Mobile Equipment Identity] number in the Verizon system, finds it.. and voila, a connection to the Verizon network is made."

However, when an Apple Watch is bought from any other vendor, including Apple itself, its IMEI serial number is not in Verizon's database. Consequently, the Apple Watch will not be activated.

"All the pairing, unpairing, resetting, etc is not going to make a bit of difference," continues the user. "Nor will cancelling the service on that line and starting a new service."

Reportedly, the sole solution is to get the Apple Watch's IMEI entered into the Verizon database.

"I went through 2 Verizon store managers and countless service techs," says the user, "(all of whom demanded to "try" and activate the cellular service before pushing me forward) before FINALLY convincing one to create the ticket [to have an IMEI added.]"

If the explanation is correct, then no cellular Apple Watch bought from any vendor will work on Verizon without assistance from the carrier's engineering teams. That must mean it's a known issue, yet in the support threads seen by AppleInsider, Verizon team members appear to be unaware of it.

As well as those forum entries, and user Tim's report about his phone support difficulties, there are users on Twitter saying the same thing.

Thank to @VerizonSupport, my wife no longer has a working cell phone because of repeated activation attempts for her new Apple Watch. No way to fix it except to "wait" and hope despite it being. Verizon mess up.

-- Paul Weaver (@Mvestor)

Verizon has not commented. However, recently a Galaxy Watch Ultra 7 user took to Reddit to say they couldn't activate their device because Verizon said it was too new, and not on their system yet.

Activating a cellular plan is only one aspect of setting up a new Apple Watch. Read the AppleInsider guide to the whole process.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I bet they collect the activation fee and monthly service fee without any problem though.
    ronnbeowulfschmidtzeus423
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I took my new black AW Ultra into the local store and they set it up. Bought the watch from Apple. I have two iPhones, an AW and an iPad on Verizon and I despise them,  the worst service, they are always scheming to charge more in the sneakiest way possible. Like charging me for  Verizon cloud which I don’t want and will never use. But who is better?  I will gladly switch. 
    kiehtanbageljoey
  • Reply 3 of 19
    ronnronn Posts: 679member
    snookie said:
    I took my new black AW Ultra into the local store and they set it up. Bought the watch from Apple. I have two iPhones, an AW and an iPad on Verizon and I despise them,  the worst service, they are always scheming to charge more in the sneakiest way possible. Like charging me for  Verizon cloud which I don’t want and will never use. But who is better?  I will gladly switch. 
    I've heard nothing but good things about T-Mobile. We use them for our phones, and a couple friends use them for cellular AW. Only caveat: while in NYC no major issues. While in Central Virginia we occasionally get spotty service; don't know about friend's cellular AW coverage though.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    This was one of the primary reasons why I left Verizon. Swapping and activating devices was always a nightmare.
    spock1234
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Verizon, building their customer support reputation day by day, device by device.
    zeus423spock1234gilly33
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I had no problem activating my apple bought S10 cellular this year on Verizon. When restoring my watch, the cellular plan did not activate, but I just skipped that step and then activated the cellular plan after my watch was working. Last year was a different story. 

I’ve had plenty of headaches activating on Verizon over the years, but I must say that when I call or chat, it may take awhile but my issue gets resolved. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,069member
    As much as I liked Verizon's coverage in my hometown of NYC, I was tired of paying its exorbitant single line prices and especially sick of paying so much extra for my Apple Watch, almost $20/mo with taxes and fees. So, two months ago, I switched from Verizon to their new, low cost carrier, Visible, and I could not be any happier. Yes, it's owned by Verizon but operates as a completely separate company and it shows, in the best, consumer-friendly way. I have its top Visible Plus plan that's locked in for the next two years at a flat, $35/month, all in, no extra taxes or fees and my Apple Watch service is FREE. Since Visible uses Verizon's network, including 5G UWB, I've noticed zero difference from my previous Verizon service over the past two months, both here in NYC and in LA where I sometimes travel. Also, since my wife's iPhone is still on Verizon, we've been able to compare the band we're on at any given time (LTE, 5G or 5G UWB), plus bars of reception, and there has never been any difference. The Visible Plus plan has since gone up to $45/mo, all in, with an Apple Watch, but that's still a deal. Honestly, this all seemed too good to be true when I read about it, but Visible offers an easy, 14-day trial with no credit card or payment info needed--you just download an esim that's good for 14 days, so you can try it alongside your existing service. If you don't like the Visible service for any reason, do nothing, the esim just expires after two weeks and you keep going with your existing service. 

Also, I just went through the transfer of my Visible service from my 15 Pro to my 16 Pro and it was a piece of cake following the very clear transfer instructions posted online with no bullshite "activation fee" that Verizon charges just to move your existing service to a new phone. Also a breeze getting my Apple Watch reconnected again, too. 
    edited September 24 ronnmarksutergilly33
  • Reply 8 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,676member
    My only experience has been with Sprint, AT&T, and now Verizon. In general, having to go into any of their stores or attempting phone support is like submitting to an unmedicated colonoscopy. Somehow they've figured out how to turn what should be a painless experience into an hours-long ordeal. In nearly every case the original pain is compounded when I get my first billing statement and realize they've screwed it all up in every way possible. My wife threatens divorce whenever I mention acquiring a new Apple device that involves direct carrier interaction.

The only remedy that works some of the time, if you're lucky, is to do everything you can directly through Apple, and preferably in the Apple Store. Unfortunately, even Apple cannot always fix the problems the carrier has created and some people don't have an Apple Store to go to. During my last trip to the Apple Store about a month and a half ago I witnessed an Apple store employee having to tell a customer that they would have to go to their carrier. It was sad and painful to witness.

That said, the last few trips to the Apple store that involved carrier related dependencies (Verizon), with Apple Watches no less, went off pretty well for me without any major issues. These all involved upgrades or battery replacements (which are actually a full swaps of the Apple Watch with direct replacements). The process that has worked for me is described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/119601

As you can see, even Apple cannot guarantee that you'll get away without having to contact your carrier. I've been successful following Apple's advice 3 times in a row and with Verizon no less. No activation fees. I'm lucky I guess. No divorce so far. 

Edit 1: When I upgraded to Apple Watch Ultra from Apple Watch 5 I removed the Verizon account from my old watch, as suggested by Apple. When I activated my new watch I was prompted to install a cellular plan on my new watch from my iPhone. As part of the process Verizon added the new watch to my account and removed the old watch from my account that was linked to my iPhone. No activation fee was incurred and the new watch was working on cellular within minutes. This was done from my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I subsequently received a text from Verizon confirming the new Apple Watch being associated with my account. They must have seen both IMEIs but somehow they figured out what I wanted during the initialization process on my iPhone.

Edit 2: The process I used to replace the Apple Watch that's associated with my iPhone relies on the "My Verizon" app. Here's Verizon's process that uses their app that I used to move my Verizon to my new Apple Watch:

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-219982/

In my case Verizon had no prior knowledge at all of the IMEI number in my new Apple Watch that I bought in the Apple Store. This conflicts with the statement in the article that Verizon was only activating Apple Watches that contained IMEis it already knew about.  It's been a few weeks since I went through this process. Maybe Verizon screwed something up since I was able to make it work. The My Verizon app dependency may be a contributor to the problem other users are seeing???
    edited September 24 ronn
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I had the same problem. Rather than go to a Verizon store or authorized retailer. Use the Verizon chat. The retail folks get paid commission and will try to sell you something or change your plan. I solved it in less than 15 minutes without leaving my house via Verizon chat. A few questions/validation and the new IMEI and my Apple Watch 10 was back on my cellular plan with no additional changes. The support tech via chat could not have been more helpful and ensured that my watch was activated.
    edited September 24 ronndewmegilly33
  • Reply 10 of 19
    OferOfer Posts: 265unconfirmed, member
    snookie said:
    I use Credo Mobile. They operate on Verizon’s infrastructure network, so reliable and fast connections, but you don’t have to deal with Verizon 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I'm not totally in agreement with how the EU regulators act, but this sounds like the kind of crap that they would not tolerate, and consumers should not.

But it's part of the legacy of the American Telco Monopoly, now cartel.

Those of a certain age will remember when Ma Bell would only allow devices it provided, leased or sold, to be connected to the phone network.  The notion of buying your own phone, answering machine, or whatever was completely foreign.
    ronnbageljoeyzeus423gilly33
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Thanks.  Very helpful.  I’ve been tempted by Visible in the past but don’t think they have cellular plan for the ipad which is really important to my workflow.  Any thoughts?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Ran into this same thing when getting my iPhone 15 pro max replaced at Apple. I then had to go to an ATT store to get it activated. This seems like a stupid problem to have. Maybe getting rid of the SIM card was not the brightest engineering move. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Surprising since my son and I both have Apple Watches from the Apple Store. We have Visible (owned by Verizon) and zero issue activating our Apple Watches on Visible. Just added my son's Apple Watch 10 to his Visible account on Saturday. Zero issues. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,069member
    masteric said:
    Surprising since my son and I both have Apple Watches from the Apple Store. We have Visible (owned by Verizon) and zero issue activating our Apple Watches on Visible. Just added my son's Apple Watch 10 to his Visible account on Saturday. Zero issues. 
    Although owned by Verizon, Visible is run as a separate company, and it seems clear to me so far that the Visible exec team did their homework in looking at what Verizon does wrong--in particular, pricing and customer service--and has addressed those issues. There is also a wealth of information and functionality on the Visible app and website that I find far superior to Verizon's offering. 
    muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I am running into the same problem. Verizon is HORRIBLE! been on the phone with VCS and said it was all taken care of only to be left with two watches without cellular! They keep saying to activate it through my watch… grrrr 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    When my Apple Watch 10 arrived I set it up on my iPhone 16 Pro, then called Verizon to activate the Watch. It took about 5 minutes with Verizon support to activate successfully. Both the Watch and iPhone were purchased directly from the Apple Store, not Verizon.
    edited September 27
  • Reply 18 of 19
    dk49dk49 Posts: 281member
    Will an Apple watch bought in the US work in another country if activated in that country (assuming that the watch supports the frequency band offered by the carriers in that country)?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    This is typical of Verizon and their MVNO, Xfinity Mobile. Every time I want to use new iPhone or Apple Watch with my Xfinity Mobile service, I have to jump through hoops to get their incompetent customer service agents to add the IMEI to their database. This is a ridiculous and very anti-customer policy. Often, they say my phone is 'incompatible' even though I have used it previously on their service. The worst part is that there is NO technical reason for this. Every other carrier allows you to switch phones without going through this nonsense. That's why I am terminating my Xfinity service, even though that means losing my $20 discount on my Xfinity internet service. Not worth the trouble of dealing with Xfinity Mobile's idiotic policies and hostile agents. 
    edited September 30