Masimo CEO steps down, but not because of Apple Watch dispute

Posted:
in Apple Watch

Former Masimo CEO Joe Kiani may have won the war against Apple, but he has resigned after losing a fight with a hedge fund.

Close-up of the back of a smartwatch with a leather strap, showing sensors and text indicating specifications including Series 9, 45mm, GPS, and LTE.
Apple Watch Series 9 and newer are sold with a deactivated blood oxygen sensor

After spending over $100 million and betting the company he founded on principle alone, Joe Kiani is out at Masimo. However, the reason he has resigned as CEO has nothing to do with Apple or a patent dispute.

Reuters has the story, stating that Kiani stepped down after being removed from Masimo's board by shareholders. The move came after a proxy battle with hedge fund Politan Capital Management.

The battle ensued after a $1 billion acquisition of Sound United, which turned Politan to push Kiani out. Politan nominated key board members, one of whom is now interim CEO, Michelle Brennan.

Politan has a 9% stake in Masimo. Kiani had previously said he'd quit as CEO and sell his shares if investors replaced him with a Politan nominee.

About the Apple Watch

On the surface, none of this has anything to do with Apple, kind of. Kiani had what seemed like a personal vendetta with Apple and was happy to battle the company tooth and nail over the Apple Watch blood oxygen sensor patent.

The Apple Watch was temporarily banned from sale until Apple turned off the sensor via software. Appeals are underway, and now with Kiani gone, there's a much better chance of Apple paying a settlement.

Previously, Kiani said he'd happily accept a settlement if Apple bothered to make a call. So it isn't clear if removing Kiani from the equation will change anything, as Apple could double down and push for dismissal.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Are we really certain that Apple didn't covertly engineer this coup? 
    davapple4thewinwilliamlondonBart Ybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,318member

Equity funds are sellouts at their core and think short term Apple doesn’t have to do a thing just sit back and relax,….
    ronnBart Ybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Yeah. He was under a lot of pressure. It had nothing to do g to do with Apple.
    Bart Ybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ronnronn Posts: 681member
    "Former Masimo CEO Joe Kiani may have won the war against Apple, but he has resigned after losing a fight with a hedge fund."

Masimo won a key battle, but has not won the war. Not when Apple still has a lot of leverage and can wait out the remaining patent claims it didn't get invalidated. 
    dewmekamyk35williamlondonBart Ybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,092member
    melgross said:
    I've been following the Kiani story for a while and his ouster was a long time coming. First, he spent over $100 million of Masimo money fighting Apple in court, an absolute fortune for which he has little to show: for Watches sold in the US since approx January, Apple has had to put a software lockout on the pulse oximetry feature. Masimo got nothing else for its $100 million spend, while the loss of pulse oximetry has likely had little if any effect on Apple Watch sales. Plus, Masimo's remaining patents expire in 2028 if they don't get invalidated before hand. 

BUT.... this was nothing compared to Kiani biggest blunder, which was spendiing $1 billion to acquire several consumer audio companies under their corporate umbrella name, Sound United. THAT'S what really got him pushed out. Now if you're wondering why the hell a medical equipment company like Masimo would spend a billion to get into consumer audio, you have the same question that drove the Politan hedge fund, which owns 9% of Masimo, to launch a board fight to get Kiani pushed out. Apparently Kiani thought consumer audio was the way to open up retail channels like Best Buy to Masimo. Never made sense to me and I guess not to the Masimo board either. 
    edited September 25 stompydewmeteejay2012bala1234ronnkamyk35Bart Ybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Won the war? I think not. Led a couple of successful skirmishes at best. 
    ronnkamyk35williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,630member
    charlesn said:
    melgross said:
    I've been following the Kiani story for a while and his ouster was a long time coming. First, he spent over $100 million of Masimo money fighting Apple in court, an absolute fortune for which he has little to show: for Watches sold in the US since approx January, Apple has had to put a software lockout on the pulse oximetry feature. Masimo got nothing else for its $100 million spend, while the loss of pulse oximetry has likely had little if any effect on Apple Watch sales. Plus, Masimo's remaining patents expire in 2028 if they don't get invalidated before hand. 

BUT.... this was nothing compared to Kiani biggest blunder, which was spendiing $1 billion to acquire several consumer audio companies under their corporate umbrella name, Sound United. THAT'S what really got him pushed out. Now if you're wondering why the hell a medical equipment company like Masimo would spend a billion to get into consumer audio, you have the same question that drove the Politan hedge fund, which owns 9% of Masimo, to launch a board fight to get Kiani pushed out. Apparently Kiani thought consumer audio was the way to open up retail channels like Best Buy to Masimo. Never made sense to me and I guess not to the Masimo board either. 
    When the company loses 60% to 80% of its share value, you get some angry investors alright.

Reading up on Politan's complaints about Kiani, man, Tim Cook has some good spidey sense on people's character if half the things Politan says about Kiani are true. Politan says Ceracor is basically a front company for Masimo to send millions to Kiani, of which he is the CEO of both. Then, Kiani's separation plans from Masimo? Free license to all of Masimo's patents, Kiani's choice of employees, $400m? Basically Ceracor 2.0. Who would agree to that? Just lots of shenanigans.

Regarding Sound United, I was suspicious that Kiani was going to use those patents to sue Apple. Bowers & Wilkins, Denon, Polk. Some great audio brands of the past that is under the Sound United umbrella. Imo, definitely on the table if Kiani is still CEO. Now? Who knows. Apple has to do the work to invalidate all the patents Masimo used against them.
    ronnkamyk35williamlondonbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    The Massimo board approved spinning Sound United back out again in April but there has been no more announcements about what that might look like.
    edited September 26 ronnwilliamlondonBart Ybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I'm struggling to see, how exactly Kiani won the war against Apple?
    None of the outstanding issues have been decided by a court, including a counter claim against Masimo by Apple
    ronnwilliamlondonBart Ybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    So glad to see this guy get canned.
    danoxwilliamlondonle studiosBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I wonder how many of those board members are wearing Apple Watches right now? 🤣
    Bart Ywatto_cobra