Apple's long-rumored homeOS may arrive in 2025 with Home Hub

Posted:
in tvOS

Apple may ship the long-rumored HomePod with display in two versions in 2025, and at the same time rebrand tvOS for a wider focus on home automation and similar products.

Display with popular app icons on a white stand next to stacked books and a green plant.
A conceptualization of what the lower-end revamped HomePod might be like.

A forthcoming version of the HomePod with a built-in display could be coming as early as 2025 and may come in two versions. A report on Sunday refreshes claims that Apple's Home Hub product will be a blend of a HomePod and a smart display.

A higher-end version could include a robotic arm to "follow" users on video calls, as previously reported. Both devices are said to be capable of utilizing Apple Intelligence

Sunday's report also claims that Apple will rebrand its existing tvOS -- the OS used in current HomePods -- to homeOS. This could happen when the higher-end HomePod, which features with a larger display and the robotic arm, debuts.

Both versions of the future HomePod are likely to run at least the A18 chip to support Apple Intelligence, and a camera for FaceTime use. Some Apple patents have suggested that the revamped HomePods might not resemble the present form factor of existing HomePods.

HomePod as smart-home controller

The two devices will support hand gestures already common in apps such as FaceTime and Zoom. The lower-end new HomePod has a codename of J490, while the higher-end model goes by the codename J595.

The higher-end version of the HomePod with a robotic arm is expected to cost over $1,000. It will likely be used in homes and offices where video conferencing is common, allowing participants to move around during a meeting.

The lower-end new HomePod model is said to support a limited selection of apps, including the Home app for controlling smart devices. It will also include Calendar -- which recently integrated Reminders functionality -- Notes, and FaceTime, and support a limited range of third-party apps.

Of course, the revamped HomePods will continue to support high-quality audio as they do now. Apple's current HomePod team are said to be collaborating closely with the Apple Intelligence unit to include the updated Siri and other features to the new products.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Maybe it's just not for me, but I really don't see a market for something with a robotic arm that stalks you. Also Amazon already tried this and it was a bit a flop. Very niche.

I know I am not the only one who wishes Apple would use their expertise again to make home WiFi routers/networks. Its' such critical infrastructure I can't understand why the abandoned this.
    eightzerosflagelwilliamlondonappleinsideruserPetrolDave
  • Reply 2 of 18
    This is just weird. I really can't imagine using such a device, but of course, YMMV. Is the need to "move around during a meeting" really a thing? My experience in the workplace is that we need technology that eliminates the need to have meetings. (and no, that isn't an endorsement of using AI to replace humans.) 

I can think of *lots* of things a TV screen connected device could be improved: make ATV with a OTA tuner (or a couple OTA tuners; maybe even ATSC3.0 ones) with a coax jack, and add AirPort functionality back into it. This device will never appear though, because there's no way for Apple to sell services and monetize OTA content. Unless of course, homeOS is only licensed....with a subscription in Apple One. And hey, before you scoff, how about making that device include an Apple branded worldwide VPN service? drool drool shut up and take my money...
    edited September 29 kkqd1337williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 18
    "Hello, Apple Support? I just updated to homeOS 2 and now I can't get in my house..."
    eightzerosflagelM68000appleinsideruser
  • Reply 4 of 18
    kkqd1337 said:
    Maybe it's just not for me, but I really don't see a market for something with a robotic arm that stalks you. Also Amazon already tried this and it was a bit a flop. Very niche.

I know I am not the only one who wishes Apple would use their expertise again to make home WiFi routers/networks. Its' such critical infrastructure I can't understand why the abandoned this.
    First, just because *you* don't see any value doesn't mean no one sees any value, that's a bit of a narcissist's view to be quite blunt and is quite illogical. Amazon has had many flops, so even that argument doesn't hold water.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up, mostly to see how the arm stays out of the way of the directional speakers (that rendering above is strange).

As for the WiFi routers/networks, I'm with you there, but why is it either/or? Why do they have to drop one product you don't like just to re-start one you do? No reason they can't work on both, but for their reasons they don't want to be in that market anymore. Wish they'd change their minds, my eeros are okay, but I had better experience with every Apple WiFI router I owned.
    kkqd1337lotones
  • Reply 5 of 18
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,305member
    A robot arm, eh? 
    “Siri, pour me a drink please. In fact, make it a double.”
    Siri: “You’ll have to unlock your liquor cabinet first.”

appleinsideruserlotones
  • Reply 6 of 18
    kkqd1337 said:

First, just because *you* don't see any value doesn't mean no one sees any value, that's a bit of a narcissist's view to be quite blunt and is quite illogical. Amazon has had many flops, so even that argument doesn't hold water.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up, mostly to see how the arm stays out of the way of the directional speakers (that rendering above is strange).

As for the WiFi routers/networks, I'm with you there, but why is it either/or? Why do they have to drop one product you don't like just to re-start one you do? No reason they can't work on both, but for their reasons they don't want to be in that market anymore. Wish they'd change their minds, my eeros are okay, but I had better experience with every Apple WiFI router I owned.
    NB: the quoted comment starts "Maybe it's just not for me" and then you accuse them of being self-centered? Yeesh. And pointing out Amazon tried this very thing, has nothing to do with other flops. And there's nothing in the post about the either/or you read into it. Yes, most corporations have choices about priorities, but so do individuals. But I'll ask you this: what do you think are their reasons for not being in the wifi networking hardware market anymore? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 18
    eightzero said:
    kkqd1337 said:

NB: the quoted comment starts "Maybe it's just not for me" and then you accuse them of being self-centered? Yeesh. And pointing out Amazon tried this very thing, has nothing to do with other flops. And there's nothing in the post about the either/or you read into it. Yes, most corporations have choices about priorities, but so do individuals. But I'll ask you this: what do you think are their reasons for not being in the wifi networking hardware market anymore? 
    Yep, it is self-centered when people come on here to claim something isn't for them, they don't see any value in it and Apple is stupid for pursuing it. It happens all the time, it's annoying, just because *you* don't like it doesn't mean Apple should abandon it. Not sure why you're defending that sort of behaviour.

And your last unrelated comment asking me so speculate about why they're not in the WiFi business anymore, not sure what you expect me to say at this point.

Your whole post seems like it's trying to take a dig at me, but making no sense at all.
    mike1
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,687member
    kkqd1337 said:

I’m sure this is on drawing board for whenever they start producing their own WiFi chips.
    chasmPetrolDave
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,418member
    Robotic Arm, eh?

kkqd1337
  • Reply 10 of 18
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,070member
    kkqd1337 said:
    Apple, over time, abandoned three key peripheral products for which high volume demand exists: displays, routers and printers. They've come back with the Studio Display more recently, which I'll get back to in a second, but why did they abandon these peripherals in the first place? I don't think it was lack of sales, I think it was because they couldn't make their typically high margins on these products, That's the only explanation that makes sense to me. I suspect they do make a high margin on the Studio Display, as they should for a 27" monitor with a starting price of $1600! But I also doubt it's a high volume seller for Apple at that price point. 
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguykkqd1337
  • Reply 11 of 18
    They should rename it gamePod OS and throw in some serious PS6 competition:-)
  • Reply 12 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,409member
    charlesn said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    Apple, over time, abandoned three key peripheral products for which high volume demand exists: displays, routers and printers. They've come back with the Studio Display more recently, which I'll get back to in a second, but why did they abandon these peripherals in the first place? I don't think it was lack of sales, I think it was because they couldn't make their typically high margins on these products, That's the only explanation that makes sense to me. I suspect they do make a high margin on the Studio Display, as they should for a 27" monitor with a starting price of $1600! But I also doubt it's a high volume seller for Apple at that price point. 

There are a lot of reasons why they would enter or leave a product category. Of course, margin is key. If a product doesn't provide the return required, it won't be made. This is the case with any company. There may be exceptions of course, if a product is strategically necessary for the overall success and profitability. That is clearly not the case with routers or printers for Apple.

I am sure routers sold fairly well by Apple standards back in the day, but what percentage of the market do you think they really captured. I will go out on a limb and say it was pretty close to zero percent of the customers who are not readers of Apple-focused web sites. There are so many competitors and price points. What enhanced value could Apple bring to the category? If you look at Apple's product mix, they pretty much only offer products a user interacts with constantly. If you're interacting with your router, it's because you are either setting it up for the first time or are having a problem. There's no daily or even routine engagement.

The argument against printers is even stronger. Why bother? What value could Apple add to justify higher prices? Printers are historically loss-leaders so their makers can sell ink and toner. Is that a business Apple needs to be in? Not at all.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 13 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,677member
    kkqd1337 said:

I can only see value in Apple building a router/gateway/WiFi access point if it was loaded up with Apple-specific technology and features. For example, Apple's "Magic Hub" could include things like:

- Private Relay that works across your entire network of devices
    - Content cache for all platform and app updates
    - iCloud synchronization cache
    - Dedicated hub and gateway for Apple's Home app with HomeKit, Thread, and Matter support
    - An centralized device management server so you can manage, configure, perform/schedule updates and upgrades on all of your entire network of Apple devices from a secure web browser connection
    - A large local cache for secure video camera recordings that get automatically archived, perhaps hourly, to your iCloud storage
    - Thunderbolt 4 bus to attach your choice of NAS storage devices
    - Support for outboard WiFi access points, wired (up to 10 G) and meshed wireless

I'm essentially saying that unless Apple can put together an integration hub that heavily leverages Apple's best of breed technology I'll just stick with what other vendors are offering. But that's just me. Other folks may set the bar much lower.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dewme said:
    kkqd1337 said:

I can only see value in Apple building a router/gateway/WiFi access point if it was loaded up with Apple-specific technology and features. For example, Apple's "Magic Hub" could include things like:

- Private Relay that works across your entire network of devices
    - Content cache for all platform and app updates
    - iCloud synchronization cache
    - Dedicated hub and gateway for Apple's Home app with HomeKit, Thread, and Matter support
    - An centralized device management server so you can manage, configure, perform/schedule updates and upgrades on all of your entire network of Apple devices from a secure web browser connection
    - A large local cache for secure video camera recordings that get automatically archived, perhaps hourly, to your iCloud storage
    - Thunderbolt 4 bus to attach your choice of NAS storage devices
    - Support for outboard WiFi access points, wired (up to 10 G) and meshed wireless

I'm essentially saying that unless Apple can put together an integration hub that heavily leverages Apple's best of breed technology I'll just stick with what other vendors are offering. But that's just me. Other folks may set the bar much lower.
    That would be quite an awesome piece of equipment that I would certainly purchase. 
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Steve HumistonSteve Humiston Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    You know, amazon astro is not a flop in the home market. While niche is a good term, it's because of it's pricing... it's a very well done product. Having an apple version that does what Astro does would be amazing. I'm sure I'd switch in an instant... as a homepod based would handle MORE of my devices than astro currently does. And, while I have a security company alarm system, I like that astro keeps patrolling my home when I'm away.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    This hybrid HomePod/iPad is very much a toasterfridge. Why not just buy the two existing products separately and make your own? Sure, they won't be physically attached, but it seems much easier to update each component separately in the future, rather than buy a brand new toasterfridge every few years.
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 17 of 18
    kkqd1337 said:

Hah!  I am envisioning Roberto from Futurama...

• Reply 18 of 18
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    eightzero said:
    kkqd1337 said:

Yep, it is self-centered when people come on here to claim something isn't for them, they don't see any value in it and Apple is stupid for pursuing it. It happens all the time, it's annoying, just because *you* don't like it doesn't mean Apple should abandon it. Not sure why you're defending that sort of behaviour.

And your last unrelated comment asking me so speculate about why they're not in the WiFi business anymore, not sure what you expect me to say at this point.

Your whole post seems like it's trying to take a dig at me, but making no sense at all.
    Well, let me clarify to help you: the original commenter specifically qualifies their opinion in that it may just be them. They acknowledge specifically what you accuse them of - they don't see a market for it, but you object to them saying so. That's a you problem. The commentor simply prefers other products be a higher priority - as do I. And it doesn't have to be either/or, but there are priorities. I've expressed them, i suspect you seem to agree on wifi, but can't say why. Apple should divert fitite resources to what appears to us as an odd, unprofitable product as compared to wifi that we like and prefer. You attack someone as being annoying, but don't provide your personal opinion about substantive things. Sure, maybe every company should make every device they can dream up, but...really? 
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy