Tim Cook sells Apple stock worth in excess of $50 million

Posted:
in AAPL Investors

Apple's CEO, Tim Cook, has sold over 220,000 shares of Apple stock, which are valued at more than $50 million.

Smiling man with short white hair and glasses, wearing a dark shirt, clasps hands together; blurry app icons in background.
Tim Cook has sold Apple stock worth over $50 million.

Apple stock has always been one to hold long-term, but executives tend to sell off some stock from time to time. The practice is all above board, given delays on sales required to prevent insider trading practices.

According to a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Cook sold 223,986 shares for a total amount of $50,276,076.

It is not an unusual move for the company's CEO, as he often sells Apple stock in October. In 2023, for instance, Cook gained around $41.5 million by selling Apple shares. Tim Cook also sold a significant amount of shares in April of 2024, which earned him roughly $16 million.

As originally spotted by MacRumors, Apple's CEO was granted 219,502 shares of Apple stock earlier this week, which he received as part of a performance-based award. This award is tied to Apple's shareholder return compared to other S&P 500 companies.

Of the shares Tim Cook received this week, 54,876 shares will vest in one-third increments in April 2027, 2028, and 2029, while 164,626 shares are performance-related and will only vest on October 1, 2027. Up to 200% of the shares will vest, depending on Apple's performance in fiscal years 2025 through 2027.

Apple's CEO often receives different performance awards and stock awards, on top of his base salary, which equated to $3 million for fiscal year 2023. During the same year, he received $47 million in stock awards, and made $10.7 million from non-equity compensation, along with $2.5 million in other compensation -- mainly security-related costs.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    That’ll be enough for a nice kitchen and bathroom renovation. 
    argonautbyronl9secondkox2marklarkBart Y
  • Reply 2 of 19
    longfanglongfang Posts: 515member
    Breaking news. Water is wet. Tune in at 11 to know more.

/s
    edited October 2 9secondkox2
  • Reply 3 of 19
    That's less than 3% of his net worth.  He probably just needs to pay his taxes.
    aderutter9secondkox2mknelsonBart Y
  • Reply 4 of 19
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 287member
    oksure said:
    Does no on else find this gross, and at the systemic root of wtf is wrong in our country?  Seems like a nice guy you'd root for but then no.  Just another greedy fuc*ing cog in the wheel.  Don't really think he moves the needle either, other than a somewhat impressive Jobs facsimile come wwdc.  Bullshit human being unless I'm really missing something.

No.

When you make money for the company (and the shareholders), you make money. That's how business works.
    9secondkox2muthuk_vanalingamtmayspock1234dewmeradarthekatmarklarkBart Y
  • Reply 5 of 19
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,062member
    The guy must have some Christmas shopping he’s getting done early.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,062member
    oksure said:
    Does no on else find this gross, and at the systemic root of wtf is wrong in our country?  Seems like a nice guy you'd root for but then no.  Just another greedy fuc*ing cog in the wheel.  Don't really think he moves the needle either, other than a somewhat impressive Jobs facsimile come wwdc.  Bullshit human being unless I'm really missing something.

No. When you are responsible for growing a company by the billions, you make big bucks to. 

The only things gross about it to me is that he’s making that money and I’m not. - and that you spent all of your one post in AI history to attack someone’s reward for their achievements. 
    edited October 3 mknelsonmuthuk_vanalingamtmayspock1234radarthekatmacxpressmarklarkBart Y
  • Reply 7 of 19
    oksure said:
    Like Steve Jobs the guy doesn’t get paid a salary. Selling stocks is his income. Stocks are only worth something when cashed in.

You’re reading far too much into this than there is to read.
    fastasleepStrangeDaysmacxpressmarklarkBart Y
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 245member, administrator, moderator, editor
    oksure said:
    What are you on about? Dude literally took Apple from the underdog to the biggest tech company in the world under his leadership. I'm not sure what this post is about.
    muthuk_vanalingamtmayfastasleepspock1234dewmeStrangeDaysmarklarkBart Y
  • Reply 9 of 19
    oksure said:
    I’m not someone who buys into his BS about Apple making decisions because they love the world but at the same time he is entitled to however much compensation that he negotiate from the company.
    marklarkBart Y
  • Reply 11 of 19
    oksure said:
    What are you on about? Dude literally took Apple from the underdog to the biggest tech company in the world under his leadership. I'm not sure what this post is about.
    How talented he is each year with a similar looking gadget as last year, just a new chip and thinner.  Real innovation there.  Not to mention it's all overpriced.  But kudos to him for making people believe each new generation of gear is something you can't live without.  I mean, 16 generations and we can finally make our home screen sort of look how we really want.  Brilliant.
    edited October 3
  • Reply 12 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    Roderikus said:
    oksure said:
    Couldn’t agree more. And I have been saying this since he was on his post for 2 yrs - only to get banned from sites likes this.
    Thanks for spreading the word that should be heard.
    Nah. He's responsible for growing Apple into the $2 Trillion juggernaut that it is today. His compensation is couch change to Apple. The bulk is stock awards, the value from which is largely dependent on his performance, and as any AAPL owner knows, has grown massively under his tenure. "Don't really think he moves the needle", my ass.

You realize Jobs was worth somewhere in the ballpark of $10 Billion when he passed, right? Cook is worth a fraction of that and has clearly stated he intends to donate the vast majority of his wealth to charity, and has been doing just that.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/15/03/27/apples-tim-cook-plans-to-give-away-all-of-his-money

So, yeah, you are missing something.
    dewmeradarthekatbeowulfschmidtStrangeDaysmarklarkBart Y
  • Reply 13 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member

oksure said:
    Like Steve Jobs the guy doesn’t get paid a salary. Selling stocks is his income. Stocks are only worth something when cashed in.

You’re reading far too much into this than there is to read.
    Not entirely true, he does get paid a salary and other compensation, though the stock awards are by far the largest portion of his pay:
    Apple says that Cook earned $63,209,845 during 2023, that’s roughly 28% higher than the initially planned $49 million compensation. It’s still down around 36% compared to what he earned in 2022, though. 
    • Salary: $3,000,000
    • Stock Awards: $46,970,283
    • Non-Equity Incentive Plan Compensation: $10,713,450
    • All Other Compensation: $2,526,112
    StrangeDaysBart Y
  • Reply 14 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,269member
    At some point it isn’t about the money

It's not about the money, money, money 
    We don't need your money, money, money 
    We just wanna make the world dance 
    Forget about the price tag 
    Ain't about the, uh, cha-ching, cha-ching 
    Ain't about the, yeah, ba-bling, ba-bling 
    Wanna make the world dance 
    Forget about the price tag
  • Reply 15 of 19
    oksure said:

• Reply 16 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,692member
    Welcome to capitalism.

At the end of the day, you have to look out for yourself and do everything you can to carve out a life that you enjoy using whatever you have to offer, like hard work and perseverance. Cutting back Tim's salary, or the salary of say the many elite professional sports players, isn't going to put more money in your pocket. That's not the way it works.

The massive CEO salaries are used a benchmark for companies to compare "their CEO" to their competitor's CEOs for bragging rights and to attract top talent, just like top sports teams want the best of the best on their team. Most of us are so far removed from that world that we look at it like we watch sports teams compete. Unless you're a gambler, which shareholders basically are, there's really nothing in it for you from a financial standpoint.

Anyway,  I don't hear the shareholders complaining. Go Tim go. Bring us some more big wins for Team Apple.
    radarthekatBart Y
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Doesn't seem too much for a company that has a market capitalization around $3.431 TRILLION.  
    Compared to Microsoft at $3.096 trillion,  HP Inc. at $34.31 billion, or IBM at $205.2 billion .  
    If you own an S&P 500 index ETF, Apple is likely the largest percentage of the fund.  
    AAPL is likely 7% of the fund, with MSFT around 6.5% and NVDA around 6.1%.  
    Saudi Aramco market cap. is around  $1.744 trillion (or about SAR 6.5 trillion}.  

Most chief executives periodically sell large chunks of stock.  
    Decades ago, Bill Gates owned a much larger percentage of Microsoft stock (than currently).  
    Gates owned 45% in 1986, but 1.34% in 2019 (shortly before retirement).  

edited October 4 Bart Y
  • Reply 18 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,923member
    oksure said:

You mean the same guy that built Apple to be the most successful company in the world? IMO, he's a far better CEO than Steve Jobs was. He's an incredibly smart person. Apple didn't just get lucky and become the biggest company in the world. Tim has had some amazing accomplishments during his tenure as CEO of Apple, Inc. 

He's very deserving of what he got. And, it's not like people who work at Apple are making minimum wage here. They're generally paid quite well. 
    edited October 4 muthuk_vanalingamBart Y
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Good luck to him nobody would begrudge a windfall just in time for the Christmas season, and the Black Friday sales.
    Bart Y