iPhone 16 Pro users face random freezes and repeated restarts

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 19

Owners of iPhone 16 devices, especially iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max buyers, say that the units are freezing and then restarting themselves seemingly randomly.

Silver iPhone 16 Pro with triple camera lenses on a brown leather surface, logo visible on back.
iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max models seem to be the most affected by the bug.
Numerous reports

on the Apple Support Communities, as well as on Reddit and other forums on the web suggest that unknown numbers of iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max models are having issues out of the box. In each case, the iPhone suddenly becomes very slow or completely stops responding to input, then abruptly restart themselves

Some reports have said that affected iPhones can also restart from a crash when in standby mode, resulting in showing the home screen when awakened, rather than where the user left off. The recent update to iOS 18.0.1 doesn't seem to solve the issue, and reports suggest the freezing/crashing cycle can occur up to 20 times a day, according to a report from MacRumors.

Even owners who brought back their iPhone 16 models have reported the issue on the replacement iPhone as well. One user reported that restoring the iPhone 16 from a backup on his Mac, rather than iCloud, resolved the issue.

Users say that taking the units to Apple Stores for diagnosis usually results in a simple reinstall of the software, which reportedly does not eliminate the problem. However, some users have claimed that performing a complete erase and reinstall appears to work.

Apple has not commented on the issue, which some users are suggesting that a problem with iCloud syncing may be the cause. If correct, it could be that Apple will be able to fix the issue with a future iOS update.

It's not known what the scale of the problem is, and it is far from affecting all users.

Separately, while the iPhone 16 range overall has seen lackluster sales so far -- except in China -- the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro versions again represent the majority of iPhones bought.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,031member
    Well, I’d love to comment, though I’ve been waiting for my Pro Max since September 15. Estimated delivery was October 4.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I have been experiencing issues with Apple CarPlay with my iPhone 16 Pro. If the interface is not on, I get this odd lower volume sound on whatever I’m listening to something … and sometimes it doesn’t even want to play through my car speakers at all, but after a few minutes, it’ll turn on through the speakers.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 17
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,836member
    quazze said:
    I have been experiencing issues with Apple CarPlay with my iPhone 16 Pro. If the interface is not on, I get this odd lower volume sound on whatever I’m listening to something … and sometimes it doesn’t even want to play through my car speakers at all, but after a few minutes, it’ll turn on through the speakers.
    I've had it not play through the car (or any) speakers when connected to CarPlay too. Thought it was a car bug rather than iOS, but maybe it is iOS.
    dewme
  • Reply 4 of 17
    This is not only happening with the latest iPhones. I am also experiencing it with my iPhone 14 Pro Max running the previous public beta, and still occurring with the current iOS 18.1 (22B5075a). 
    Curiouserandcurious
  • Reply 5 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,543member
    dj2k3000 said:
    This is not only happening with the latest iPhones. I am also experiencing it with my iPhone 14 Pro Max running the previous public beta, and still occurring with the current iOS 18.1 (22B5075a). 
    Thanks for suggesting that it might also be a problem on older models if you're running betas of unreleased iOS versions, rather than specific models. If more people not on the latest iPhones report similar issues, we'll know you were right.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 406member
    Haven’t had any issues with the 16 pro max. I installed 18.0.1 before I transferred data from my old phone. 
    Ofer
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Agreed with CarPlay - similar random issues with a high end new alpine deck. 

Several different apps randomly lock up in the interface during extended use but come back after often long intervals in background. One is a fitness app with watch app synchronization and if I make an entry in the watch app the phone app will unfreeze. No unexpected reboots though. 

My only other complaint is top left corner back buttons sometimes seem less responsive like the recognition area is smaller. I did select the medium font size when migrating rather than smallest, sometimes wonder if that’s associated. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    My 15 Pro Max is freezing up with 18.1 latest beta. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    It happened to me. After successfully configuring my new iPhone 16 Pro, it started to freeze and restart every two or three minutes, much more than the 20 times a day stated in the article. I returned it and I am waiting for a replacement. 
    dewme
  • Reply 10 of 17
    My 16 Pro Max restarts while in standby several times a day meaning FaceID doesn’t work and I have to enter the code. Frustrating but hopefully Apple will fix it soon.
    I’m running iOS18.1 public beta
  • Reply 11 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,543member
    ldenning said:
    My 15 Pro Max is freezing up with 18.1 latest beta. 
    My 16 Pro Max restarts while in standby several times a day meaning FaceID doesn’t work and I have to enter the code. Frustrating but hopefully Apple will fix it soon.
    I’m running iOS18.1 public beta
    I'm detecting a theme here. Maybe you both could try "downgrading" to the current official version and report back if that solves the issues?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 267member
    The only issues I’ve seen on my 16 Pro so far are with CarPlay. Random errors when connected where I have to unplug and reconnect. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 254member
    I tried syncing with my iCloud music library this morning to no avail. Will not be renewing my iTunes Match because anytime I reinstall it on my iPhone it doesn’t sync across all devices. I’m done, finished with Apple Music for good because they try to get you to re subscribe to get it to sync across all device’s. Goodbye. I will use Google music instead for free
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Contrary opinion here: iPhone 16 Pro Max, currently on 18.1b7. Have run all the recent betas on many different iOS, iPadOS, and WatchOS devices. I’ve had zero restarts.
    chasm
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Phone 16 Pro Max

I have been using the 18.1 public beta

Not many restarts.

Lots of freezing, and at times the camera has failed to work unless i do manual restart
  • Reply 16 of 17
    What i find wierd ive been iphone user since ip 14 pro max,
    had ipad pro user since 2018,

everytime i read numberous problems with iphones,

the only problem i ever had was with the camera in ip 14 pro max ,
    other than that i never even had battery degration while im always fast charging,
    even apple was liie wow battery was still 99 % after a year, 

I have a feeling alot people use their iphones just wrong that cause them to brick,

Or am i use them wrong that it don't brick or face problems ?
    its now my 3rd iphone so i dont know i guess ?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Thank good that someone actualy wrote aricle about this.
    May you live a 100 years :)
    Now back to the point , from my angle 18.0.1 made things a bit better , but far from fixing issue.
    Lag is present while typing like I own iphone 3 
    Screen unresposivnes too.
    For those restarts I did nit had that issue , at leats not for a moment , but Apple needs to fix a lot of things , instead , they act like they dont care.
    I dont think that is fer , because we all give a lot of money for this phone to be the best phone ever , but actualy its not...
    Its not ok for the phone of so much money to have those issues.
    Its just not.
    Apple is all focused on apple inteligence , and that is fine , but I dont need no inteligence if I am going to be unable to send a sms mesaage