Is Apple Creating a Pink Panther?

coscos
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a connection between Apple's Mac OS X Panther and an early-nineties x86 OS made by Apple and IBM code-named "Pink?" When you consider that "Pink" was made solely to kill Steve Jobs' NeXTSTEP, the naming convention seems less and less coincidental. The following Oscast editorial/broadcast has all the details.

http://www.oscast.com/stories/storyReader$364

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I think that guy is reading way too much into this. Panther is just another feline in a line of cat names for Mac OS X.

10.0 = Cheetah.

10.1 = Puma.

10.2 = Jaguar.

10.3 = Panther.

What next? Fat tabby.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    And his main supporting evidence that there is a connection is a coincidence in a cartoon cat's name?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by COS

Is there a connection between Apple's Mac OS X Panther and an early-nineties x86 OS made by Apple and IBM code-named "Pink?" When you consider that "Pink" was made solely to kill Steve Jobs' NeXTSTEP, the naming convention seems less and less coincidental.

It wasn't an OS, just a framework (like OpenSTEP / YellowBox / Cocoa). The idea was to further establish object-oriented ideas. Some companies, including HP, were interested in it. Later, Apple left its development, and it got renamed "Taligent".

The Cocoa book I'm reading ("Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X", bignerdranch.com / Addison-Wesley) has a suitable comment on in its fourth chapter.

Quote:

Once upon a time, there was a company called Taligent. Taligent was created by IBM and Apple to develop a set of tools and libraries like Cocoa. About the time Taligent reached the peak of its mindshare, I met one of its engineers at a trade show. I asked him to create a simple application for me: A window would appear with a button, and when the button was cliekd, the words "Hello, World!" would appear in a text field. The engineer created a project and started subclassing madly: subclassing the window and the button and the event handler. Then he started generating code: dozens of lines to get the button and the text field on to the window. After 45 minutes, I had to leave. The app still did not work. That day, I knew that the company was doomed. A couple of years later, Taligent quietly closed its doors forever.

You see, even though Taligent / Pink had similar goals NeXT did have, the outcome was quite the contrary. With Cocoa, try creating a "Hello, World!" window. You'll be done in a few secs - most of the time will be spent linking.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    everyone was saying they wanted to see black fur on the X for OS X...perhaps u'll see pink fur
  • Reply 5 of 32
    coscos Posts: 99member
    One thing to keep in mind: the guts of OS X has the ability to handle multiple application binary formats (Mach-O, PEF, perhaps ELF someday, Win32?). Basically, this also means that the kernel could execute different binaries on different processors under its control. Bringing Hypertransport into the loop, a PowerPC and a Opteron could sit on the same bus. Win32 (or linux x86) binaries could be made to execute natively on the Opteron when a user double clicks on its icon. Memory and system devices would be shared. And with software like WINE, the Win32 API calls could be transfigured into OS X APIs.

What would we get? A operating system capable of best-of-breed processor optimizations and the limited ability to run pre-compiled competing OS binaries--not everything, but perhaps the important stuff--quickly. This is no Virtual PC, although if Microsoft so felt the desire they could release a version of it that improved upon the "basic" WINE API converter with a proprietary one of a much higher quality. I doubt they'd do such a thing, however. Further, this whole approach is controversial, as it could cannabalize the developer efforts on OS X--the argument goes, why would any developer EVER compile for OS X/PPC if they could just pawn off their Win32/x86 binary on Mac users? But the move might just be enough of a disruption of your mentioned WinTel stranglehold to begin to tip a hardware balance.

Currently, FreeBSD includes compatibility libraries that do this very thing for Linux...so it isn't so much a stretch.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

And his main supporting evidence that there is a connection is a coincidence in a cartoon cat's name?

Consider the irony. Apple worked with IBM to destroy the same company that would eventually take over Apple, give it its OS, its CEO, and eventually follow through by partnering with IBM once again.

So, is it conceivable that Mr. Jobs -- now faced with the opportunity to work with the same giant that once threatened his company, only to return more powerful -- would adopt the same strategic business plan to inflict on one of his competitors?

That sounds like Jobs to me...
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

everyone was saying they wanted to see black fur on the X for OS X...perhaps u'll see pink fur

• Reply 8 of 32
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    The Inspector ROFLMAO thats hilarious
  • Reply 9 of 32
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Nice one, COS!

Escher
  • Reply 10 of 32
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    To give credit where credit is due, I believe Ti Fighter came up with the 'Pink Panther' OSX image.

And, FWIW, there's no such thing as a 'Black Panther'. It's just a term used for describing dis-coloured Big Cats.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

And, FWIW, there's no such thing as a 'Black Panther'.

There certainly is, remember Forrest Gump?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I will buy a couple of them IF that's the final look of the box.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

everyone was saying they wanted to see black fur on the X for OS X...perhaps u'll see pink fu

Yea either way it's all good. I'm with Kenneth.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Hobbes created this in another thread... this'll sell tons

• Reply 15 of 32
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    and as for the remaining list of cat names

Ocelot

Lynx

Bobcat

Tiger

Lion

Liger <--- crossbreeding the two above

Leopard

the Puma is also known as the Cougar, Panther or Mountain Lion (fromhere
  • Reply 16 of 32
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

And, FWIW, there's no such thing as a 'Black Panther'. It's just a term used for describing dis-coloured Big Cats.

Technically most black 'panthers' are jaguars or still other felines ... and technically most black jaguars are just pigmented = in daylight you can see the difference between the pigmented (a bit lighter) and black fur. But there were, even in the States, some black panthers till the 1800s (untill they were hunted to die as species).
  • Reply 17 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    These boxes look so cool. Pink fur or the Pink Panther are so big pimping and the Black Panther is sweeeet too. If they use that they could even put a pic of Malcolm X on the side with a nice smile. Anyway I just hate the new X, it's so...boring. Kudos the Photoshop 1337 here, I don't know why Apple hasn't called you.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

and as for the remaining list of cat names

Ocelot

Lynx

Bobcat

Tiger

Lion

Liger <--- crossbreeding the two above

Leopard

the Puma is also known as the Cougar, Panther or Mountain Lion (fromhere

You forgot:

Caracals

Margays

Servals
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Cougar. Even if it's the same as a puma, and mountain lion, which would just sound stupid.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

10.0 = Cheetah.

10.1 = Puma.

10.2 = Jaguar.

10.3 = Panther.

10.4 Lion

10.5 Cat

10.6 Dog (they ran out of cat family animals)

What is it with all the cats?