aac, mp3, dvd, cd... and have you seen the black ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
anyway before i get into it, did anyone else notice the black ipod in this fortune magazine article? is this just a dark picture to show off the lighted buttons or are we gonna get different colors?

onto imusic... i applaud apple for what they've accomplished and i think there's a possibility this might work for the short term, but here's why i will not be using the service for now. i just spent a lot of good money to upgrade all my entertainment systems to be able to play my music collection which is entirely formated to mp3. the new cds i buy, get converted and archived, as each burned archive essentially becomes a cd changer with 6 to 10 albums on it.

i'm not 100% sure, but i would assume most of my hardware will not play aac files and if apple thinks i'm gonna pay money to have to spend more money, to re-rip my music in five different formats to get it to play, they've got another thing coming?! i'm very comfortable with my music as mp3 at this stage. my second problem with the whole system which reminds me of the dvd/dvix thing a while back, there's too many freakin rules involved. i wanna pay, play, and that's it! i don't want to deal with authorizing this mac to play my music and all that.

that said, i think apple has come up with the best solution so far to the record industries' woes. though, i also think they're fooling themselves if they believe that the majority of people downloading / stealing music are suddenly going to think,

"uh... you mean i can pay $1 for this song, instead of just downloading it free?! sweet, here's my credit card... oh but wait, i'm only 15 and don't have one of those yet."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    its just an iPod in dark. Not a black iPod. sorry to burst the bubble.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    that's what i figured. don't really like the black, but was hoping for other colors.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the difference has to do with the CONVENIENCE of getting the right song the first time with great quality every time.

It would be nice if there was bulk discounts tho... they need more "complete" albums...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    like it takes a day and half to download a couple of songs or an album?! though i will not mention any specific websites, there are plenty of places to download complete albums many of which haven't even been released. it's an uphill battle for apple and the music industry at best.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrsebastian

like it takes a day and half to download a couple of songs or an album?! though i will not mention any specific websites, there are plenty of places to download complete albums many of which haven't even been released. it's an uphill battle for apple and the music industry at best.

90% of the people don't know about hotline and the like, and those take time as well... bottom line is that the service is geared to be EASY for the MAINSTREAM/NEWBIE user rather then the power users... Although many power users will be attracted eventually as well...

One problem that will crop up is when people "share" the purchased music on LimeWire and the like... people wont be able to play them (unless they build a cleaner).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    i guess you nailed it right there. someone will hack the security measures and all this will be just a mute point... coming soon to a computer near you, the latest and greatest p2p program, not surprisingly called "aac"ster.