War Driving

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well... currently I'm in Brooklyn on a job...

and I decided to take my laptop with me...

I was planning on using my V60c as a modem... WHEN I NOTICED I HAVE AN AIRPORT SIGNAL

IN THE MIDDLE OF BROOKLYN!!!

the name of the network just happened to be the same as the one BC uses, so it just kind of showed up!!!

now... how do I figure out where the signal is coming from?

how do I keep them from kicking me off? (if they ever find me)

I am near kennedy... but not THAT close that it is coming from there... is that possible??!

I don't want to sneak around if at all possible... who should I talk to?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hmm not the airport... i think it is the indian air company right above me... should I just call them and ask to pay for access? I mean I will be here all summer \

what should I say? would $20 (or less) for the whole summer be reasonable?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Talking to them would definitely be the honest thing to do. I don't know, however, if I would. Chances are they see it as something irritating that someone is on their connection, and decide to step up the security a notch. On the other hand, you have a good chance that they aren't all that tech-savvy (i.e. that they had the network installed by some outsider), and that they'd never know you're there, especially if you don't go downloading all day long. Of course, honesty is best karma.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Talking to them would definitely be the honest thing to do. I don't know, however, if I would. Chances are they see it as something irritating that someone is on their connection, and decide to step up the security a notch. On the other hand, you have a good chance that they aren't all that tech-savvy (i.e. that they had the network installed by some outsider), and that they'd never know you're there, especially if you don't go downloading all day long. Of course, honesty is best karma.

I don't see the harm in it, personally. Chances are they aren't using up all their bandwidth. Would you offer to pay them if some of their AC accidently made its way into your office? If you offer them money, they'll probably be like "uh? sure, I'll be sure this gets to the right place (in my pocket)." Don't worry about it....
  • Reply 4 of 9
    well... notice how i only posted 3 times...

the security was pretty good \

let me show you...

they have one IP tied to one MAC... I wonder what kind of connection they have... when I could surf it was DAMN fast...

whenever i had that setup it would work until the error came up...

this is what it would revert to when i got the error message (sometimes before too... it was weird...) of course, the internet would not work with this connection...

[mods, can you please post my IPs for the first 2 posts of this thread? thanks...]

any ideas?

as for their bandwith... i will mostly be there from 12PM-8AM... NOONE will be using their connection... the only problem is getting onto the network... \
  • Reply 5 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

well... notice how i only posted 3 times...

the security was pretty good \

let me show you...

as for their bandwith... i will mostly be there from 12PM-8AM... NOONE will be using their connection... the only problem is getting onto the network... \

In these days of hyperfast broadband, it's not so much the bandwidth used at any given time, as it is the monthly bandwidth numbers (in GB) allowed for by the ISP that can prove tight. I mean, I never have an issue with another computer in my house using too much bandwidth on this 3mbit ADSL line, but I ALWAYS have an issue with the 10 GB/month limit imposed by my ISP.

In any case, I'd go talk to them, seems like the only right thing to do. 20 dollars? I personally wouldn't know if I would let someone on my network for three or four months for just that, if I'd be just looking at how much it costs me (and how much it'd cost me extra) \
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Just use it! i do it all the time in boston. there are tons of open networks. I once went war driving with a friend and i was sitting at a traffic light near coply and checking my email. I say if they are stupid enough to leave them open, then use it. THey probably arnt smart enought to know you are there. just enjoy.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Just use it! i do it all the time in boston. there are tons of open networks. I once went war driving with a friend and i was sitting at a traffic light near coply and checking my email. I say if they are stupid enough to leave them open, then use it. THey probably arnt smart enought to know you are there. just enjoy.

well thats the thing... it isn't open...

Im looking for a way to hack myself in tho...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Time for a little education.

Get KisMac. Grab 50 or so thousand packets, and brute force it. Pick up a NMEA compatible GPS, and map it.

If they've blocked your MAC address you're SOL, well, not really, but I doubt you're the kind to spoof a MAC, however be my guest.

If you do get in be sure to grab ettercap and explore.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi,

this makes me think how secure my AirPort Extreme wireless connection is!?

I think that I used every precaution possible, I limited the power output to 25% only if I want to use the laptop outside I raise it for a short period, activated encryption (WEP), I limited the access to specific Airport ID's, but I have no idea what to do with the RADIUS settings.

Is there anything else I should do/change?