How do I force a firmware replacement?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My B&W G3 is locking up very often. It does better under X.2 than 9.2 or X.1 but it still freezes solid whenever I throw more than one program at a time at it, or ask it to do something more intensive than web-surfing or e-mail. I've tried as many things as I can think of and the only thing I can think of short of component replacement (which I won't do cuz I can't justify the cost of repairing what is, after all, a toy and a supplement to my G4) is to give it replace the firmware. That's the only thing that I haven't tried replacing or swapping out save the motherboard and processor. The problem is that it's already running the 1.1 firmware update so it won't replace it with another copy of the same. Anyone know how I can force it to replace its firmware with a new copy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    michaelmichael Posts: 25member
    Um, you can't.

and that's that.

Well, you could, theoretically, remove the chip that holds the firmware and replace it with a fresh one, but unless you've had some experience with micro-soldering, then that's not a very smart proposition.

There is, unfortuneately, no way to undo a firmware upgrade.

Whats more, I really don't think this is the problem. From your description it sounds like you either don't have enough ram, or enough harddrive space for the operating system to make an adequate scratch disk for virtual memory. Or, you might have a bad RAM chip.

Truth be told, if there was something wrong with the firmware, then it would've said so when you installed the last revision. It might help to run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your machine, to see if it is a component problem. This, however, will not tell you if you need more RAM or a bigger harddrive.

good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michael

Whats more, I really don't think this is the problem. From your description it sounds like you either don't have enough ram, or enough harddrive space for the operating system to make an adequate scratch disk for virtual memory. Or, you might have a bad RAM chip.

Truth be told, if there was something wrong with the firmware, then it would've said so when you installed the last revision. It might help to run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your machine, to see if it is a component problem. This, however, will not tell you if you need more RAM or a bigger harddrive.

good luck.

Thanks for the reply. It's got 512 megs of memory and 12 gig free. I've tested the memory in another machine and it's not causing a problem there. I haven't tried the CD yet, I'll let you know.