Custom computer desk... advice?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, not sure if this is general discussion or outsider, but here goes.

i've been doodling various ideas for a custom computer desk to suit my needs. i think it looks pretty good, but i don't have the materials or the ability to pull it off.

anyone know where one goes to get something like this made? how stupidly expensive would it be? (i know, depends on what i have in mind...)

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    A pic or pdf or something would be helpful. Wood? Glass? Steel?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

A pic or pdf or something would be helpful. Wood? Glass? Steel?

glass and steel, preferably.

i don't have a pic on hand right now (it's in my sketches and notebooks at home), but are there people who specialize in "desk making", or would i have to go to aluminum and steel folks and ask for specialized parts, and glass folks for the same?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Individual fabricators would be my first choice. Most of them are happy to show off what they can do and are usually open for a challenge. My gut reaction on finding a 'desk maker' would be 'holy shit that's expensive'.

You might want to rethink the aluminum vs. steel thing. Aluminum is ungodly expensive to have fabricated and/or welded (at least in these parts) and steel fabricators/welders are virtually a dime a dozen. Good ones (ie:ones with any shred of aesthetic sense) are more difficult to find. Find one.

Depending on what you want do do with the glass, anyplace should be fine. 1/2"-3/4" is easily cut anywhere. If you want rounded edges they should be able to do that as well. Drilled holes are another matter entirely. I've had glass shops turn me away because of that requirement.

Anyways, good luck. A homemade desk is far more gratifying than anything you can find commercially.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    depending on the size city you live, it should be pretty easy to find a furniture fabricator.

if you've got an art college in your area, they may have a furniture design class. you might be able to find a student to do the job.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    hmmm... interesting points. thanks. if i get a scan or 3-d mockup of what i have in mind, i'll post it.

i actually have a decent desk assembled from ikea part. got a BIG piece of tempered glass for the top, and trestle legs with shelves and nice underlighting with a fluorescent light beneath the tabletop (think apple's displays from tradeshows). it's pretty nice, but i'll probably want to change soon, which is why i'm bringing it up now.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    IKEA glass tabletop plus two wooden trestles, also from IKEA. Looks great, costs about $125 and gives a lot of room.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Our very own M3DJack got a ridiculous custom-built desk for his equipment a while ago.

Here's hoping he'll post here with his thoughts and experiences on the matter.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

IKEA glass tabletop plus two wooden trestles, also from IKEA. Looks great, costs about $125 and gives a lot of room.

sounds like we have the same desk. i stained the trestle legs on my desk a country blue, which goes well with the bluish-green tabletop.

cool thing is, i wanted to get a new desk about four years ago, when i was still using a rickety drafting table for my computer and stuff. i quit my job in disgust, and they weren't supposed to honor my accumulated vacation time, since i walked out.

but two weeks later, a check arrived in my mailbox for +$350.

i went out the next day, bought the desk and a nice chair all on their tab. yes!!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I went with OmniRax and had them build me a custom desk. it is based on their omnidesk, but my unit is much larger, has three 4U bays under the monitor bridge at a slight slant.

It was pretty pricey, but they're good people. I don't know how much they work with glass and what not. They're really more of a studio furniture company. Who knows though, give them a call.