Creating an OS X mini-app...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I guess that's the word for it?

What does a fella need to know to create a very simple, straightforward info-based app for OS X? I came up with what I thought would be a pretty cool idea (inspired by another shareware app I use quite a bit).

I've gone so far as to sketch the layering/functioning out on paper, build a "tree", gather most of the info I'll be presenting, etc. But I'm COMPLETELY at a loss. I may simply be biting off more than I could ever hope to chew because I have exactly ZERO experience in this sort of stuff. I just have the ideas but don't know where to take them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    go buy Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegas.

OR

depending on what you need the app to do, play around a bit with AppleScript Studio.

Buy the book anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    skalmanskalman Posts: 42member
    Hi,

go into http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...coaTopics.html to get an overview of the technology. There are also tools were you can do the coding. All for free!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Cool. Thanks for the responses. BTW, this app doesn't "do" anything, as far as calculations, movement, isn't tied into live data, etc. It's just a standalone, self-contained info-based app. A reference guide, I guess you'd say.

Couldn't be THAT hard, could it?

• Reply 4 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Sounds like something that could be done in Keynote...or Hypercard!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sounds like MacTracker only for a different data set. that has to be the most useful app. i've ever downloaded. i love that thing to death. and i'ts linked to all the software/firmware updates as well now. that thing totally rules.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Scates, do you know any Applescript? You can probably get the job done with Applescript Studio in the IB and PB developer tools from Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

sounds like MacTracker only for a different data set...

And the winner is...alcimedes!

That's EXACTLY the app that served as my inspiration. Something self-contained, but that could be easily updated as needed.