Speaking of M I D I

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Sometimes I feel like a complete newbie

But the reality is that I want to burn some Midi files that i downloaded from the net onto a Cd so that I can play them on my really cool 80's sony mini sound system CD player.

I am running OS 9.2 on a 600 Mhtz I-mac

Have Quicktime & I-tunes.

Do I need to convert the midi files into another format ?

Do i need to get a life...?

All tips appreciated.\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I've never heard of the "I-mac" or "I-tunes". Are those new?

Just open the midi file in QuickTime and choose export from the File menu. You can save as an aiff file there. Voila!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I've never heard of the "I-mac" or "I-tunes". Are those new?

Just open the midi file in QuickTime and choose export from the File menu. You can save as an aiff file there. Voila!

What's an aiff ?

Apple Insider Fighting Force ?

• Reply 3 of 8
    Short for Audio Interchange File Format, AIFF is a common format for storing and transmitting sampled sound. The format was developed by Apple Computer and is the standard audio format for Macintosh computers. It is also used by Silicon Graphics Incorporated (SGI).

The AIFF format does not support data compression so AIFF files tend to be large. However, there is another format called AIFF-Compressed (AIFF-C or AIFC) that supports compression ratios as high as 6:1.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I had a bunch of MIDI and I just imported it into iTunes. I burnt a CD of it and iTunes just converted the tracks before it burnt them. Is that what you wanted to do?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I had a bunch of MIDI and I just imported it into iTunes. I burnt a CD of it and iTunes just converted the tracks before it burnt them. Is that what you wanted to do?

Thanx for the tip...I guess that is what I am really wanting to hear..Somethings that takes the brain-ache part out of the process....Much appreciated.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    Midi files aren't audio files, they're just musical information that tell synths and samplers etc what to play , how does itunes convert them to audio? You've got me confused and i've been dealing with midi for a long time.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Midi files aren't audio files, they're just musical information that tell synths and samplers etc what to play , how does itunes convert them to audio? You've got me confused and i've been dealing with midi for a long time.

With Quicktime.... Quicktime has its own instruments.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Does this work? I've tried this and it hasn't worked. The files are just xxxxx.mid files, and iTunes doesn't take them. Quicktime will play them, but not iTunes. Any suggestions?

[edit]Nevermind. I think I had some non-standard midi files. I converted them to standard midi, and they worked fine in iTunes.