DJ iPod:: 2 spinwheels and a microphone?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    they should package them with glo sticks and a smoke machine too!
  • Reply 22 of 34
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    based on the new firewire base port connector i bet it will be a periphal if such a device exists. no separate ipod.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

any dj worth their salt would need more than just a 'switch' button

try a full set of equalizer sliders for each source, and a crossfader

I am very aware of that, but that kind of thing could be handled in the preferences...

Richie Hawtin DJ'd on the iPod at the Solo Store, I am sure if Apple made a DJ iPod it would be adopted pretty well!
  • Reply 24 of 34
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

I am very aware of that, but that kind of thing could be handled in the preferences...

Richie Hawtin DJ'd on the iPod at the Solo Store, I am sure if Apple made a DJ iPod it would be adopted pretty well!

hawtin used two iPods and a Powerbook running Final Scratch.

I'm almost positive of this fact. In this case, the iPods were little more than external hard drives...
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

hawtin used two iPods and a Powerbook running Final Scratch.

I'm almost positive of this fact. In this case, the iPods were little more than external hard drives...

I do not think so, but maybe. I know he does use PCs to make his music on.

From the m-nus.com page:

Quote:

RICHIE HAWTIN iPod dj set at the Apple Store SoHo, New York, 6-10pm

Join us for a rare in-store appearance by RICHIE HAWTIN spinning the latest and greatest via his vast mp3 collection exclusively on the new iPod's. this is the first time he'll only be using iPod's in a DJ set, making it extra special by playing some sounds from his latest studio work along with a preview to the tracks of the summer. no stranger to bridging cutting edge technology with groundbreaking music, this will not be your normal in-store.

Apple SoHo - 103 Prince St. @ Greene St. - (212)226.3126

• Reply 26 of 34
    nyc10012nyc10012 Posts: 9member
    Quote:

In this case, the iPods were little more than external hard drives...

I was there. Hawtin was playing music directly from the iPods, switching between the two iPods with a mixer.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by nyc10012

I was there. Hawtin was playing music directly from the iPods, switching between the two iPods with a mixer.

Wow, leave it up to Hawtin to push the envelop
  • Reply 28 of 34
    ah, okay. someone told me final scratch was involved, and i assumed it was true, as that's his big thing, and it's just now being ported to os x.

still stands to show that a 'dj ipod' would need to have the full functionality of a good mixer for adoption by anyone other than complete amateurs...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    Hawtin has used Final Scratch for years, before it even entered full production, and has been somewhat of an emissary for the package.

I had the pleasure to VJ at a gig he did almost 3 years ago, when he used Final Scratch to great effect live to cut up the crowds, similiar to his Minus Orange album. (I had an early beta of G-Force set up with a line in from his decks, and ran the visuals out to a video projector across the stage. Looked and sounded amazing )

anyway, djing with 2 ipods is a old story ... wired and half a dozen others picked up on this after the ipods were first released. one of the best ways of taking the ipod djing thing further is to use Native Instruments Traktor 2 for OS X. the latest version supports the ipod, so you can plug it into your laptop and use it as a multiple Gb repository for your music. It works well, and Traktor allows you to cue up multiple songs playing from the same HD, so you can take several days of music.

The new version of Traktor with Final Scratch (which i believe has just started shipping) should bring together the functionality of triggering music direct from the decks, and being able to play from your collection of electronic files on an ipod. sounds tasty.

Speaking as an early adopter of digital dj technology (I bought my Pioneer CDJ-500s 6 years ago) I believe the the ipod is just another valuabel tool in the dj arsenal. most djs still focus primarily on vinyl, and cds/mds/dats/ipods/laptops are an additional input. the ipod is a digital carrying case, and a cool record box. it is not a DJ tool per se, and i think apple would be deeply unwise to consider creating a Fischer Price-esque dual wheel ipod. i'd love to have cue and pitch facilities on a ipod, but i don't believe we'll see this when most pros will already be toting more advanced hardware and software solutions for wreaking musical hovoc on the public. I bet the ipod will continue to be what it is for now. DJ functionality will be driven by 3rd party hardware and software development.

anyway, it works well for me already
  • Reply 30 of 34
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I could see a big AC powered iPod using full sized hard drives and about 8" x 6" x 2". Bigger monochrome screen, some more advanced features, and you have a pro MP3 player for DJs and home audio aficionados. Not a bad idea.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    well, iTunes 4.0 does include a BPM field in column view and song info...
  • Reply 32 of 34
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah, if you asked me it's ALL about final scratch.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    As much as I like the idea of a "pro" iPod with enhanced features to please audionuts(and djs)

30 gigs costs 500 bucks!

a "pro" version would be way to costly to justify. Maybe in a couple years when the next iPods come out and 20 or 30 gigs becomes the standard(it could happen) then perhaps they could release a 60 gig "pro" version with firewire2 and whatever other bells and whistles would satisfy a "pro" customer, all for $499.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    actualy if they did a pro for less than 900 i would be happy. look at the real pro cd players. they have pitch control, cueimng, play forwards and backwords, you can scratch, sample, and reset cues at any place in a osngs, some let you set mutlitple cues. Add this to the fact that you are playing off of a harddrive and not a cd player digital out to a mixer would be perfect. a 19 inch rack mount, mixer.dock would be sweet too. ill post a pic later.