Frank discussion about being overweight and losing it?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

As a side note, right now I've found my new comfort food. Burritos. Not good for dieting (how many skinny Mexicans do you know?)[...]

mexicans have different genetical background than european-origin (even mediterranean) people. period.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

mexicans have different genetical background than european-origin (even mediterranean) people. period.

I don't know for mexicans, but we can divide people in two categories : the fat burners and the fat keepers. The fat keeper resist more to starvation than the fat burner. In time of starvation he has an advantage.

In time of wealth, the fat burner is advantaged. Due to his more correct weight he has less chances to become fat and suffer from cardiovascular diseaser or arthrosis.

Starvations have disappears from many countries, fat keepers are disavantaged.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

I don't understand the ban on bread. Is this only white bread or all bread? I make my own bread, always some form of whole wheat and substitute honey or molasses for white sugar.

And it was my understanding that complex carbs (like brown rice, beans and whole grains) are good for you because they take longer to break down and so you don't get the spike that you get from simple carbs aka sugar.

i happened to quick read "eat, drink and be healthy" today morning (w.c. millett, simon & schuster) and it had that explained pretty well. the simple carbos - white bread, pasta, white rice etc - get too quick to blood and are bad for especially diabetes risky or fat people ... potato is among those high fast carbo foods. so all those should be in moderated amounts; as substitute better whole grain products like whole wheat pasta and bread, rye bread, bulguri, whole wheat couscous, dark rice. your homemeade bread sounds healthy.

i eat no bread and nothing that has wheat or any glutens. and i don't like potatoes. so my typical subsitutes for those could be e.g. rice (mostly white though..) and beans (i hate canned beans, so i decide the day before i like beans and soak and cook them, my favs are black eye beans). i haven't eaten bread for months, but even that anz pizzas can be made wheat-free (superkarate might have some special recipes for those wheat-free stuff ).

some ideas on that book are weird though: firstly it stated that in europe the most obese people eat less fat than those that weight less. i eat low-fat food and am at least partly european in my genes, and i'm not obese. i don't understand what they stated: most fat and obese people i know use a lot of fat in their food. so if the normal food has about 30-40 % of fat of the total calories, the cretan food has a higher percentage of fats, and cretans are heatlhier ... well right. cretans use a lot of "junk plants", non processed dark green local veggies in their meals. that could do it. besides MOST mediterranean people get to extra pounds when they are over 40. (okay, most aren't following anymore the mediterranean diet that existed like in the 1960s, so meat etc junk far more often). and in japan average food gave 11 % of its cals from fat. now, apart from sumos, how many fat japanese have you seen? how many fat japanese women aged 40 or over have you seen? if the obese people eat low-fat food-statement was true, most japanese would be obese.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I don't know for mexicans, but we can divide people in two categories : the fat burners and the fat keepers. The fat keeper resist more to starvation than the fat burner. In time of starvation he has an advantage.

In time of wealth, the fat burner is advantaged. Due to his more correct weight he has less chances to become fat and suffer from cardiovascular diseaser or arthrosis.

Starvations have disappears from many countries, fat keepers are disavantaged.

the change will occur in genes... the local people of e.g. the andes (originating from south-american indians) and other poor and climatically difficultly coltivated areas of s.america (and world) seem to be more tending to these fat keepers. once the economy and food habits change ... it will take a lot of time to the genes to adjust. but even that does not give a good explanation why people in india seem to be slender compared to most europeans. or why africa has so HUGE differences... the middle- and western africans (of the ancient slavery zones) being more likely to being round, and then e.g. most of kenians and somalis being slender...