How many Icons do you keep on your Dock?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    There seem to be, so far, fewer mega-docks out there than I would have expected. Perhaps that is not surprising though: I think that the dock is great, but I have found that overloading it makes it less useful. I put my main Apps and Folders directly on it, but otherwise I use it to point to categories.

First Stupid dock question from still a relative newbie: can I put the Favorites icon from Finder directly on the dock?

Second Stupid question: is there a dock icon/function that can give me a display of open, but unminimized windows?
  • Reply 22 of 51
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The only apps I keep in the Dock are the three that are always open anyway: Mail, iChat, and Terminal. I keep a folder full of app aliases and the Documents folder in the Dock too.

I do the same.

I keep Mail, iChat, Safari, GraphicConverter, iTunes, QuickTime Player, TextEdit, and Terminal in my Dock because most of the time all of them are running. To the right I have my Music folder and folders with aliases to most of my other programs divided into Internet, Multimedia, and Games.

DockScreenSnapz001.jpg
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Besides the two gimmies (Finder and Dock), I keep iTunes, Safari, Mail, Fire, and a "link folder" in the dock. (So 7 in total) In the folder I have links to all of my lesser used programs, the document folder of my webserver etc. That reminds me... I wonder when Apple will change it so you can drop stuff directly to folders in the dock. It would be great to drag a file right to the webserver that way.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

I wonder when Apple will change it so you can drop stuff directly to folders in the dock.

It already can just fine. If you're having trouble and the folders are sliding aside too quickly for you, hold the apple key and the folders will stay put.

Or perhaps you mean when will Apple implement the "pop up" feature in the Dock?
  • Reply 25 of 51
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i have X (ten for the roman-numeral impaired). finder, x11, mail, pb, terminal, safari, itunes, ichat (recently replaced aim), sys prefs, and trash. those are the progs i use most often (well, trash isn't technically a prog, but its not optional either). and thanks to my exceedingly small amount of ram and processor power, i rarely use more than 3 at a time (and when i do, i feel it). i used to keep my Simpsons folder in there too, but i don't remember where i put it, and haven't bothered looking (don't worry, i can find the episodes esay enough when i need a fix). i pretty much live in the terminal, popping up into pb every so often, with itunes chugging along in the background.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

No idea what it is. And what are those ones that look a bit like Japanese characters? And what about that half-rotated Apple icon?

What a newbie I be. I guess I need more software, if only to collect the icons.

Dreamweaver and FreeHand...the Apple icon is a folder full of aliases that I rarely use (because OS X alaises don't seem to heal, so app upgrade = broken alias in Dock )

No one knows what the icon to the right of Safari is? Come on, it has like 700 downloads per version on VersionTracker...and my name is listed in the credits in the About window.

Being as the old icon is fugly, I've whipped this up on Photoshop for the next release:

• Reply 27 of 51
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    53 apps

13 folders

I also tend to have quite a few minimized windows sitting in there from various apps and the finder.

It's small and on the right of my powerbook screen. Magnification on. I use a lot of different apps and hate digging for any of them. I also like the dock, but don't want it to be large at all. Since it's so thin, I can just leave it there all of the time without losing screen space.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    11ish, mostly folders to other stuff.

Here is a pick of them cureently

• Reply 29 of 51
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

No one knows what the icon to the right of Safari is? Come on, it has like 700 downloads per version on VersionTracker...and my name is listed in the credits in the About window.

that part is bothering me. i've seen it, pretty sure i've downloaded it and used it, but i dont know what it is, and cant find it on my hd.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    Dock Extender dock
  • Reply 31 of 51
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I keep 11 apps (first 11 in pic) in the dock, all of which are always open. The dock is pretty much only an app switcher for me, I use launchbar to open programs. Also have my hard drive in the dock since I have zero items on my desktop (it's the only way to make sure it is clean!!!). Also have an 'incoming' folder which is essentially my secondary desktop, where stuff needs to get sorted.

• Reply 32 of 51
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

that part is bothering me. i've seen it, pretty sure i've downloaded it and used it, but i dont know what it is, and cant find it on my hd.

Hint: it uses telnet to do what it does.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Finder, Adobe® Photoshop® 6.0, AOL Instant Messenger (SM), AppleWorks 6, Drumbeat X 1.6.5, Internet Explorer, iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, MacJanitor, Mail, Microsoft Entourage, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, MSN Messenger, Netscape, QuarkXPress? 4.03, QuickTime Player, Sherlock, SNES9X (don't tell Nintendo ¬_¬), System Preferences, TextEdit, World Book, Apple - Mac OS X (the same link that 10.1 came with, yes) and Trash.

26 items.

Oops! I voted wrong? oh, well?
  • Reply 34 of 51
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    About 24 permanent icons in my dock, depending on the day.

Finder, iTunes, Preview, QuickTime Player, Keynote, AppleWorks, Nisus Writer Express, TextEdit, Safari, Camino, Mail, Address Book, Proteus, MSN Messenger, Acquisition, Tactical Ops, Brood War, Diablo II, Civilization 3, Tranquility, Terminal, the root level of my hard drive, a bunch of disk images and the Trash.

Usually there aren't any games, but school's out for a few months.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

The last three are X11, VNCViewer, and Warbirds III... the iBook icon is a link to my hd.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    59 do i win?
  • Reply 37 of 51
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

59 do i win?

where's the proof?
  • Reply 38 of 51
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    My brother once had 400 or so items in his dock. I think he might even have a screen capture lying around somewhere.

..Now he has around fifty I think; with the magnification turned up to 256 x 256.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I have

8 applications

Finder, Extensis Suitcase, SysPrefs, Safari, Camino, Entourage, iTunes, Terminal, Proteus.

2 folders

All Applications, My Apps (folder with most used apps broken into subfolders - 2d, 3d, apple, office x, utils, web)

and the trash can.

I used to have upwards of 25 in there but it just felt too busy.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

59 do i win?

As I said before, I'm at 66 not including minimized windows