Neil Young..... SUX.....

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Dear Lord,

Why is it everytime i start a thread thinking " Now this'll be a thread that no one can flame each others arse's off " Someone always has to come along and spoil the fun..

Pleeze be nice.

& If you can't appreciate Neil Young then go somewhere else

Ps On the beach was released straight after Harvest..

I know..I used to work as a manager of a record store at the time. My memory on this is absolutely clear.

Ps Love his contribution to the soundtrack "Philedelphia " .
  • Reply 22 of 38
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Bunge: yet again, I'm struck by how well we'd get along....

1) CSN's second album is OK, but it's nowhere near as stunning as Deja Vu, which was recorded with Young (occasionally I get the refrain "Country girl, I think you're pretty..." stuck in my head). I haven't cared for anything CSN has done since "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes," really.

2) I was under the impression that Skynyrd's little jab in Sweet Home Alabama (in response to Young's "Alabama" from Harvest) was just a joke (especially considering their use of "Southern Man" in the line). Anyone else hear this?

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

) I was under the impression that Skynyrd's little jab in Sweet Home Alabama (in response to Young's "Alabama" from Harvest) was just a joke (especially considering their use of "Southern Man" in the line.

I seem to remember a Rolling Stone Article of the time doing an interview with members of L.S and how at least one of them said it was all tongue in cheek...

Real shame about them dying the way they did..As they were part of the great Southern music revival..

Who knows where they might have headed..?

Remember ..Eagles, Poco, America, Allman brothers..etc etc
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Ps On the beach was released straight after Harvest..

I know..I used to work as a manager of a record store at the time. My memory on this is absolutely clear.

harvest - jan. '72

journey thru the past - nov. '72

time fades away came - oct. '73.

on the beach - july '74 (the same summer as the 1st csny reunion tour)

tonight's the night june '75

zuma oct. '75
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

harvest - jan. '72

journey thru the past - nov. '72

time fades away came - oct. '73.

on the beach - july '74 (the same summer as the 1st csny reunion tour)

tonight's the night june '75

zuma oct. '75

Nah.."

I don't count "Journey thru the past" as a proper "studio Album " with new compositions..

This was a Dog album for a Dog film..with some stuff lifted from Harvest session tapes..

Same goes for "Time fades away."

Live music it is..but of standards.... no new stuff cut in a studio.

In those days such albums were thought of as fillers.

to squeeze a few extra measly dollars out of the public.

Not in the same league as Harvest or On the Beach which is probably Young's most cynical album..

" your all just pissing in the wind "....lyrics to herald the end of Hippie-heaven..& the downfall of Nixon.

Great Album indeed.

• Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

Nah.."

I don't count "Journey thru the past" as a proper "studio Album " with new compositions..

This was a Dog album for a Dog film..with some stuff lifted from Harvest session tapes..

Same goes for "Time fades away."

Live music it is..but of standards.... no new stuff cut in a studio.

In those days such albums were thought of as fillers.

to squeeze a few extra measly dollars out of the public.

Not in the same league as Harvest or On the Beach which is probably Young's most cynical album..

" your all just pissing in the wind "....lyrics to herald the end of Hippie-heaven..& the downfall of Nixon.

Great Album indeed.

i agree to a point, but "journey thru the past" is a great movie. very weird, but great. (as bunge pointed out in another thread, when asked what the movie was about, neil used to reply "it's about....90 minutes")

"time fades away" was all new material done live, and i've always thought of it as a valid album, i understand you thinking journey being filler. but "time fades away" is not filler. it's edgy, dark, and as cynical as "beach" but then as you pointed out with the fall of the hippie dream and watergate it was a very cynical time.

in mondays chicago tribune neil talks about his new album "greendale" (out in june) and he says these days remind him of those days and "greendale" reflects that. he says it might be the most uncommercial thing he's ever done.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

I seem to remember a Rolling Stone Article of the time doing an interview with members of L.S and how at least one of them said it was all tongue in cheek...

Real shame about them dying the way they did..As they were part of the great Southern music revival..

Who knows where they might have headed..?

Remember ..Eagles, Poco, America, Allman brothers..etc etc

Yeah and there were a whole hord of minor bands in the early 70s/late sixties The James Gang fer instance . . .

a whole aesthetic of country-hippy-commune member . . . . but I think the revival im talkin about may have been before the Skynard one . . .
  • Reply 28 of 38
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Why is it everytime i start a thread thinking " Now this'll be a thread that no one can flame each others arse's off " Someone always has to come along and spoil the fun..

I wasn't flaming superkaratemonkeydeathcar, I was teasing him. I was however flaming Neil because he'll never release those three damn box sets.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Bunge: yet again, I'm struck by how well we'd get along....

Not me. Music is a great equalizer!
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

First, I agree with superkaratedeathmonkeycar. Time Fades Away is indeed a real album. It's all new material, and it is in the same league as On The Beach (and Tonight's The Night.)

Those three are a trilogy of sorts. Time Fades Away -> Tonight's the Night -> On The Beach. I believe it's called his DOOM trilogy. It's a great listen back to back to back. In mono, it all fits on one MiniDisc!
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

First, I agree with superkaratedeathmonkeycar. Time Fades Away is indeed a real album. It's all new material, and it is in the same league as On The Beach (and Tonight's The Night.)

Those three are a trilogy of sorts. Time Fades Away -> Tonight's the Night -> On The Beach. I believe it's called his DOOM trilogy. It's a great listen back to back to back. In mono, it all fits on one MiniDisc!

that's a scary minidisc.

mini disc of doom.

doom on you....doom on you....
  • Reply 32 of 38
    neil young is now be bandied about in three different threads, this one (obviously) the guitarist thread, and the movie soundtrack thread.

change the name to neil young insider, or carrie snodgrass.

hehe.

neil's gotta have a mac, y'think?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

neil's gotta have a mac, y'think?

I know he's got a Lionel train....
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

I know he's got a Lionel train....

he owns the company.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Re On the beach.

Well my hippy days are over

There's no going back.

I knew it to be the case

when I heard them immortal words..

Your all just Pissin in the Wind .........
  • Reply 36 of 38
    my favorite tune from beach is "revolution blues" it was a lyric i always pointed to (along with poe's "tell-tale heart) defending rappers and their rights to free speech.

......old news,

anyway the lyrics seem to come out of charles manson's handbook. and maybe ted kozinski was a fan of this one too, eh?

one more trivialistic thingy:

neil young's father is in the nhl hall of fame. (as a sports writer.)

Well, we live in a trailer at the edge of town;

You never see us 'cause we don't come around.

We got twenty five rifles just to keep the population down.

But we need you now, and that's why I'm hangin' 'round.

So you be good to me and I'll be good to you,

And in this land of conditions I'm not above suspicion;

I won't attack you, but I won't back you.

Well, it's so good to be here, asleep on your lawn.

Remember your guard dog? Well, I'm afraid that he's gone.

It was such a drag to hear him whining all night long, oo.

Yes, that was me with the doves, setting them free near the factory

Where you built your computer, love.

I hope you get the connection, 'cause I can't take the rejection;

I won't deceive you, I just don't believe you.

Well, I'm a barrel of laughs, with my carbide on;

I keep 'em hoppin', till my ammunition's gone.

But I'm still not happy, I feel like there's something wrong.

I got the revolution blues; I see bloody fountains,

Ten million dune buggies comin' down the mountains.

Well, I hear that Laurel Canyon is full of famous stars,

But I hate them worse than lepers and I'll kill them in their cars.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I always liked Vampire Blues, but Motion Pictures & Ambulance Blues are two of the hardest songs I've ever heard.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

I always liked Vampire Blues, but Motion Pictures & Ambulance Blues are two of the hardest songs I've ever heard.

Yep they is tough...

Also love " Rocking in the Free World "