Corel vs. Quark -- role reversal?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
y'know, it wasn't that long ago, i could remember when corel couldn't pay people enough to listen to them at conferences and trade shows, while quark always had the red carpet rolled out for them.

now, for your review, i present images from the mac design conference occurring RIGHT NOW in chicago...

Corel's awesome Painter demo area

vs.

Quark's "We SWEAR it's shipping this summer... honest!" booth

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That's the great (if a bit cheesy) setup for the Corel booth. They've earned the attention. They've been a pretty responsive and progressive developer, a far cry from the bad old days of sitting on WordPerfect's market.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'll been itching to give Painter another shot lately. Haven't used it since Painter 3 ( actually v.1 - v.3...back when it came in real paint cans ). The latest version looks great.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Or it could just be that the majority of people who attend these design conferences already know how to use Quark. Painter on the other hand is a lesser known product who probably doesn't have an installed user base.

Regardless, Quark still needs to get their sh*t together.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Or it could just be that the majority of people who attend these design conferences already know how to use Quark. Painter on the other hand is a lesser known product who probably doesn't have an installed user base.

Regardless, Quark still needs to get their sh*t together.

normally, i might agree with you (i mean, i have yet to see any "tip" about quark that i didn't already learn two years ago... version 5 might be different, but i don't even have that installed), BUT...

this is a trade show, and it's one of those places where, cheesiness aside, you have to make a big, bold, and hopefully good impression.

look back at those images. corel may be displaying the "more money than sense" mindset (is each person equipped with a 17" flat panel, intuos2 and an MDD G4?!? damn...), but at least they are trying. compared to that, Quark's "booth" (i only see an ibook on their table... i will assume that there is a tower and monitor behind that throng of... um, five) screams "we don't like you, but we recognize you exist and will therefore deal with you."
  • Reply 5 of 10
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

Corel axes Bryce for Mac development...

That sucks. Well, they ruined Bryce anyway. Hopefully Terragen for OS X will appear soon. Painter 8 must have been good to them with a Mac demo like that!

Quark doesn't have to prove anything. They still have most designers, printers and publishers by the balls. They'll all wait and wait....and wait.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Corel axes Bryce for Mac development...

That sucks.

whoa, how did that story slip past my radar??? dammit! bryce was my first exposure to 3d generation when i was in college... terragen looks promising, but bryce was finally starting to mature into something really impressive.

Vue d'Esprit doesn't look half bad, either, but where they excel in lighting, they fall short of what bryce could do with regards to details.

terragen looks pretty nice, but will be a 1.0 product, with all the 1.0 kinks to work out.

maya et al. are alternatives, but they are just way too expensive for the casual "i just want to push stuff around and see what happens when i hit render" experimentists. bryce was good for that (and they were finally getting away from the god-awful influences of kai krause and metacreations... yeah, he was ahead of his time... a dot.com visionary with delusions of grandeur 3-5 years before the dot.com boom and bust). plus, i just saw the price for bryce 5 on their website... US$79??? good lord, that's cheap. i remember when they were charging photoshop prices for this app.

but now they're not even selling it via their website for mac. anyone know where i can pick up a copy? sure, they may have killed it, BUT it's OS X ready, so i can work with it, at least for a little while, and as long as i get $79 worth of work and enjoyment out of it, it'll be worth it.

edit: oops. would help if i read the entire article, huh? seems you can still order it by phone, at least. that's good. i rattled off an email to corel to see if i can stop this from happening, but since corel is desperately (sp?) trying to keep from going under, i doubt this'll happen, unless some knight in shining armor comes galloping in.

hey, could apple use some personal painting, basic graphics, and consumer-level 3D software??? hmmm... better write another email.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The number 1 rule on buying software

NEVER buy software that's dead.

Don't buy it even it's cheap. Think about it there's bug in the software or incompatibility with your hardware or whatever you will be left alone cause the support is no longer here and there will be no update/bug fix.

Vue dEsprit, I tried it. The app itself is slow (on rendering), but I find the controls and interface are much better then the Kai app.

I also tried the dEsprit plug in for Cinema 4D. It works like a charm and it is FAST.....which is totally out of my expectation.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

The number 1 rule on buying software: NEVER buy software that's dead. Don't buy it even it's cheap. Think about it there's bug in the software or incompatibility with your hardware or whatever you will be left alone cause the support is no longer here and there will be no update/bug fix.

well, yeah. but i'm not one of those who would buy it and expect anything more than support for a dead product. hell, i found livepicture on a shelf here in toronto for CAN$10, so i picked it up. figured it was worth the cost just for the manual. haven't done much with it, but i also knew what i was getting into.

nice to hear vue isn't too bad. it looks like what bryce was going to become before metacreations imploded, and bryce and its cousins started to get shipped around like unwanted foster children. it's a pity corel doesn't just kill off the product entirely, so that another company might come in and scoop it up (maybe even e-on, who could make a nice, easy upgrade path for former bryce users).

anyway, i don't see why corel even thinks their windows users are more prevalent for bryce than mac users. the only online art i ever see using bryce was put together on a mac. oh well, maybe bryce will someday be sold off and become a plug-in for another, larger 3D app. stranger things have happened...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well. If you get it for $10 CDN....then why not?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    I don't see how Corel is pulling a Quark.

Quark has one success, Quark Xpress, and it owes much of its success to Mac...AAANDDD...at least 50% of its business is on Mac.

But still they are telling their customers to switch to Windows, they've outsourced all their programming to India, and they said in a Macworld interview that they felt that Mac OS X was "too immature" for a Quark product.

Corel is pulling Bryce for Mac...they are a cash-strapped company and Bryce just doesn't move many units, especially on the Mac side. They didn't extend the finger to Mac users while lying about their own lack of capabilities...I see no reason to be too angry with them.