MacOS X bug "Disc Inserted contains no valid volumes"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Sometimes when I have a CD in my drive and drag it onto disc copy to make an image I get the "Disc Inserted contains no valid volumes" message and it asks if I want to Eject, Initialize, or Ignore. No matter what I do it doesn't seem to affect the imaging. But this is weird. It's happened since 10.2.3 or 10.2.4 I believe. I'm on a PBG4 12". Anyone else seeing this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    I have that problem "Disc contains no volumes..." upon inserting any disc - audio, data, DVD, whatever. My TiBook won't read discs, period. Happens in OSX 10.2.5. In OS 9.2.1, the computer just doesn't acknowledge discs whatsoever. I posted to the Genius Bar about this before, but got no solutions.

So, no solution from me, just hoping too that someone can help.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I've had a simmilar problem yesterday when I was trying to copy a file to one of those USB-sticks. There were allready files on it from a windows-machine, and my powerbook said that the disk was not formatet. It only worked after erasing the hole disk.My mac also got Really sloooow while this windows-formatet disk was connected.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    joesephg sounds like a bad drive... i had to send my Ti 550 in 3 times for drive replacements on it's combo drive.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    josephg call Apple and they'll pay to airmail it to Texas and fix it. My iBook 500 combo drive stopped working one day and they fixed it in 2 days. That was fast and good since they removed a screw that wouldn't let me add RAM I'd had for a year to it!

When I get this error message everything still works as far as I can tell. It's just weird.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Like FutureExPCUser, I had a similar problem with memory cards. In my case, it was CompactFlash cards (several different makes and sizes) from my old digital camera. The frustrating thing was that it didn't happen every time I tried to mount the card--just 80-90% of the time.

I had to boot into OS 9 to mount the flash card and copy photos, then boot back into OS X to import the pictures into iPhoto. (iPhoto is slow enough without this extra step!)

Now I have a new camera, which seems to work fine--even with the same memory cards that were problematic before. Between that and switching from Quark to InDesign, I'm hoping my days of "slumming it" in OS 9 are finally behind me...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

josephg call Apple and they'll pay to airmail it to Texas and fix it. My iBook 500 combo drive stopped working one day and they fixed it in 2 days. That was fast and good since they removed a screw that wouldn't let me add RAM I'd had for a year to it!

When I get this error message everything still works as far as I can tell. It's just weird.

Thanks for the advice, but it's 4 months out of warrantee, so I doubt that it'll be free (right?). I'm also moving in 6 days, so I'll have to wait to deal with this. Uggghhh...but getting by OK temporarily w/o it. BTW-mine is a DVD/CD-ROM drive, not combo. Whenever I post this, people tell me they get the same prob with their combo drives. Odd that no other plain DVD TiBook owners respond.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    josephg that is weird and sorry to hear, good luck with it.

I remember having this happen with my Nikon Coolpix too now actually. I think it went away, I'll test my camera later. (now that I'm back from college I don't use it as much because there aren't as many amusing things to take pics of)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by josephg

Thanks for the advice, but it's 4 months out of warrantee, so I doubt that it'll be free (right?). I'm also moving in 6 days, so I'll have to wait to deal with this. Uggghhh...but getting by OK temporarily w/o it. BTW-mine is a DVD/CD-ROM drive, not combo. Whenever I post this, people tell me they get the same prob with their combo drives. Odd that no other plain DVD TiBook owners respond.

Thanks for the advice.

rather then getting it replaced under warranty, look into getting an upgraded drive... probably will be the same price...

is apple still offering the $299 swap?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I hope this is the right thread.

I've tried to access an windows formatet external drive but there didn't mount any device on the desktop, like the usb-pens do. I'm new to Mac, so the problem is probably mine and not from the powerbook. But anyway, how do I access a windows formatet external hard-drive from my powerbook? Is there something like "My Computer" or "detect new hardware" on my mac?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    how did you connect the drive?

you are probably better off starting a new thread in the genus bar about it tho
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I've connected it over USB (it's a usb 2.0 drive, but compatible with usb !).