Which Ear Buds to get?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have the Sony MDR-E818LP ear buds that came with my Sony DNE510 ATRAC3 Discman I got for my birthday 2 weeks ago. So how do the Sony MDR-E818LP ear buds compare to the Sony MDR-EX71 LP and also the Sony MDR EX51 LP ear buds? I was considering the MDREX51LP's until someone suggested the MDREX71LP's in the iPod Acessories thread.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    zadakzadak Posts: 50member
    Go for the Etymotic ER-6 instead.

Best earbud ever.

Etymotic ER-6
  • Reply 2 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zadak

Go for the Etymotic ER-6 instead.

Best earbud ever.

Etymotic ER-6

I have a pair of ER-6s and they're wonderful, but...they're quite delicate. The Shure E2c earphones are almost as good and much beefier. It's a toss-up between those two if you have cash to spend.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Cost is a matter, but I also need durable, I will be working out with them, walking, etc. and then storing them in my pouch. How good are the SOny ones?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mbezzombezzo Posts: 77member
    Go here to get very good info on headphones - It's the AI of portable audio! Head-Fi
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Just picked up the MDR-EX51 the store said the only difference was the longer cord. if there was any other difference I would have gotten the EX71's. I also got them from The Sony Store.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Earbuds just don't work in my ears!

So instead, I'm getting B&O A8's.

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Earbuds just don't work in my ears!

So instead, I'm getting B&O A8's.

I've had those for the last couple of years. They're great for portable use. Lightweight yet have a solid grip on your ear and are surprisingly adjustable.

Also, Tom Cruise uses one with the cord cut off as a phone in Minority Report.

I'm just about to buy the the Shure headphones mentioned above for use when I don't have to worry about crossing roads or other similar dangers. The extra sound dampening can make all the difference.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    i have the sony buds you mentioned--the $79 ones, but i got for &40 last summer. 79 is way too high--can find much cheaper almost anywhere. very good quality sound to them--and cuts off all outside noise. i often cant hear people talking to me or even the phone ringing right next to my ear. the only negative i see to it is that they look funny on your head--kinda stick out at a weird angle, jutting away from yer face. but if you want them just for excercize, etc, i would recommend them. great pickup.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

i have the sony buds you mentioned--the $79 ones, but i got for &40 last summer. 79 is way too high--can find much cheaper almost anywhere. very good quality sound to them--and cuts off all outside noise. i often cant hear people talking to me or even the phone ringing right next to my ear. the only negative i see to it is that they look funny on your head--kinda stick out at a weird angle, jutting away from yer face. but if you want them just for excercize, etc, i would recommend them. great pickup.

How much cheaper can I get the EX71's for? $80 seems to be the going price everywhere. and with the EX51's I can still hear things around me.

So what's better about the EX71's?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

How much cheaper can I get the EX71's for? $80 seems to be the going price everywhere. and with the EX51's I can still hear things around me.

So what's better about the EX71's?

i got that exact model for 40 (before tax and shipping) last summer, so...i dont see why its so expensive now. sorry i cant tell you which online store i got it from, but i know that that type of deal exists. you've tried the EX51s? i dont know how that compared w/ the 71s, but i'd imagine they're quite similar. what i love about the 71s are that they actually fill up the space inside your ear canal, keeping all outside noise out and allowing for a more concentrated auditory experience.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ok, here's what i would do. i dont know the difference between the EX70LP and the EX71LP, but they seem to the be same quality build--i assume that the 71 is the current years version of the 70. i have the 70, which was the best of the Fontopia series last year, i believe. try ebay and see if you can find some good deals on the 70 or the 71. its outrageous that they raised the bar on the 71 to such a high price for basically the same product. if none of this pans out, just get the 51.

good luck. hope this helps.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I have the EX51's but am wondering of the 71's have better bass. That $80 is Canadain so that's $50 US.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    superdsuperd Posts: 32member
    I just picked up a pair of Sony EX71-SL earbuds today and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. They sound a lot better than the stock iPod headphones. On the stock iPod headphones I used to get a lot of pops and distortion on some of my more bassy music but these Sony's handle it no problem. They are really comfortable as well. I find that I'm listening to my music with about 20% less volume than with the original iPod headphones.

Overall a good purchase. I picked them up here in Japan and paid right around $40 USD. My only concern with them is that they block out the outside sounds a little too much. Not totally but I'm not as "aware" of my surroundings as I was before. That could be a little bit of a problem when I'm cycling in traffic.

Dave