new iPods

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone have any opinions about a revised iPod? They came out, what, almost a year ago? I really want to buy one, but I want to see what new features Apple might put in.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There is a revised iPod. It's the 10 GB version.

Well, the only thing they can really do to revise the iPod is either change the hard drive (which they've done already, and will likely do again) or update the software. I could also see a sound-in/record feature being added, which would require new hardware, but perhaps it would be a new piece of hardware that plugs into the FW port and allows you to record, instead of having to buy a new iPod.

Hell, maybe they'll release the 10 GB iPod as the consumer model, and then the Pro-series "PowerPod" which has a 20 GB hard drive and a number of new rip/mix/burn features built right into the device. The PowerPod could be used as a CD/Minidisc player, PDA, MP3 player, MP3 recorder, or even a DVD player if they released a small LCD screen to attach to it. Only problem with that is it may get so expensive with all those features that people will just get an iBook instead.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    How about adding an FM tuner to the iPod?

I hate having to pack my Walkman and my iPod whenever I travel anywhere, just in case I feel like listening to the news or a ballgame instead of my music library...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    ProPod is a good idea

20 gig

and either an internal mic, or an external mic input(or both) for recording....market it as a perfect solution for digital musicians who want to sample things...or something like that.

fm tuner? why not...I don't listen to the radio(except NPR KCRW)but alot of people do.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    IU wonder if Inkwell can run on two 90 MHz StrongARM processors. eriously dudes, I think I duggested this over at MacNN for MWNY...

5GB iPod $299

10GB iPod $399

20GB iPod with touchscreen and Apple PDA apps $499

I think that Apple can make an excellent PDA out of the iPod.

You won't be able to watch videos though. Or open word documents. Not yet.

Once battery technology has become good enough for an Ipod-battery-size sample to support an IBM small drive or a MicroDrive and a 500 MHz G4 for, say, five hours, then you can run OS X on your palm and do all sorts of stuff.

Let's say thatthe Pro iPod. ProPod?...

comes out in 2004.

Physically larger than the current iPod. Most of front surface is touchscreen. Pen gets a little slot in the side. Battery is improved version of the same tech that's in the iPod right now, so a slightly larger version would power iPod functions - MP3 playing and adress boo checking, and other PDA stuff, for say 10 or 12hours.

This runs on strongARM, and boots in 2 seconds.

When you want your computer, push a button or a software button, and the 500 MHz G4 starts. Or faster - remember, we want as much batterylife aspossible. OS X starts. A full OS X, mind you, no wimpy X CE.

Takes 70-80 seconds to start up. My 500 MHz G3 iMac takes 90.

Fully useful OS X computer. With a different UI, looks like - the desktop is just too small on a 3 by 3 inch screen.

I don't know how to manage keyboard input. I'nm in favor of Apple adopting a new way fof inputting letters -I've seen a bunch of neokeyboards that involve pressing down sequences of five buttons - one handed! to get different letters. It'll take training to use, but full speed typing is faster than on a QWERTY keyboard.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    Well Luca and Wrong, Archos already has a player/recorder that does those things. So 2004 is probably right for the rotting Apple version.

The Archos has a built in mic that can record audio. It can also record video, take pictures and can auto-download data from SM and CF memory cards. Yes some options are needed to do all of these things.

Now if they add a tuner, I think it would be the ultimate multimedia device.

Just like I don't use my stereo cabinet for filing papers, I would rather not keep my data and music in the same electronic device either.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Apple should upgrade the iPod 's hard drive to 20GB and 40GB storage capacities like the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3. There is no reason not to do this. Price? The Nomad is cheaper at 20GB. ($347-$399)

Apple should also reduce the price of the 5GB and 10GB iPod's to $199 and $299 respectively. With every hard drive update, they should keep two available hard drive options and price them at the aforementioned reduced prices.

Let's do this.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: sjpsu ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 31
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    [quote] Apple should upgrade the iPod 's hard drive to 20GB and 40GB storage capacities like the Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3. There is no reason not to do this. Price? The Nomad is cheaper at 20GB. ($347-$399) <hr></blockquote>

These are enitrely different drives! The nomad used a 2.5" laptop drive in it. They are much cheaper, and come in larger sizes. Apple uses a PC card drive made by Toshiba. there currently is no bigger than 20gig.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: warpd ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Uh sjpsu, where is Apple suppose to get a 40GB HD that fits in the iPod? Even the 20GB drive is slightly thicker than the current spec.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    mmm, tasty iPods!
  • Reply 10 of 31
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Wow, you guys are right. I simply didn't research it. Scratch that post.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    blzabubblzabub Posts: 3member
    how about a bluetooth enabled iPod? Apple is clearly jumping into the bluetooth arena with their $50 dongle. Why not download songs wirelessly? too slow? could still use firewire for moving big chunks of music and for charging the unit, but to move one or two songs at a time, seems perfect.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    [quote]Originally posted by blzabub:

<strong>how about a bluetooth enabled iPod? Apple is clearly jumping into the bluetooth arena with their $50 dongle. Why not download songs wirelessly? too slow? could still use firewire for moving big chunks of music and for charging the unit, but to move one or two songs at a time, seems perfect.</strong><hr></blockquote>

gigawire?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

<strong>

gigawire?</strong><hr></blockquote>

does anyone know for sure what gigawire is aside from an apple trademark? Is it wired or wireless transmission?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mingming Posts: 41member
    I personally would love one feature: wireless headphones. Imagine having the iPod in a pocket or backpack while listening to music, no need to be constrained. Isn't this what Apple is all about?- lifting constraints from consumer technology? Is this possible technically with current Bluetooth or maybe future advantages to wireless technology?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Ming:

<strong>I personally would love one feature: wireless headphones. Imagine having the iPod in a pocket or backpack while listening to music, no need to be constrained. Isn't this what Apple is all about?- lifting constraints from consumer technology? Is this possible technically with current Bluetooth or maybe future advantages to wireless technology?</strong><hr></blockquote>

There was a large article in the NY Times "circuits" section last week (I think) about the planned uses for bluetooth--one of which was wireless headphones and microphones.

[correction] It is the coverstory in today's NY Times "Circuits" section. And just think, if your bluetooth enabled cellphone rings while you are listening to music you can answer it without taking the phone out and taking off your headphones!

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: blzabub ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 31
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    So what your telling me is you want the iPod that looks sleek is light and has great battery-life to become more like the Nomad Jukebox3?

Lets see:

Heavier

Larger

Shorter battery life

UMMM.... no.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    [quote]Originally posted by blzabub:

<strong>how about a bluetooth enabled iPod? Apple is clearly jumping into the bluetooth arena with their $50 dongle. Why not download songs wirelessly? too slow? could still use firewire for moving big chunks of music and for charging the unit, but to move one or two songs at a time, seems perfect.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nah, still waaaaaay to slow IMHO.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    The iPod already has some hacks and apps on it so it shouldn't be too hard to add a pen or some sort of controlling device to it.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    This is a list I made to help me choose which portable hard drive/MP3 player I wanted to drop a lot of dough on. I posted it previously in another subject, but I'll post it again because it will be more relevant here. The iPod is neat, but to me it is seriously overpriced and needs a few more things added. I only favor USB2.0 because it's backwards compatible and will work on Mac's USB and PC USB.

Here it is:

-Buying an iPod reminds me of my friend who wants a HD Cinema display when he could pay $1,500 hundred dollars less(!!!!!) and buy a larger, sharper, and obviously WAY, WAY less expensive Sony Professional CRT. All you get with the Apple version is cool factor. He keeps arguing about how light it is, so what, are you ever going to move it? No, it will just sit there are on your desk, what a waste of $1,500 dollars if you ask me. Ok, ok, sorry, I'm just very adamant about payment money for things, especially when there are better versions for cheaper, but obviously everyone has their features they want.

Sony's CRT - <a href="http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/displays/professional.shtml"; target="_blank">HERE</a>

AND (to be fair)

Apple's HD Cinema Display- <a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/222/wo/AbteY0BrnDrKJZPLs61/1.3.0.3.30.8.3.0.13.0"; target="_blank">HERE</a>

-Sorry for ranting, CFPC

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: ConvertedFromPC ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 31
    fireants22fireants22 Posts: 119member
    I too would love to see a wireless headphones feature........BUT- if it takes already this long for Apple to come out with a remote, i donT see wireless happening for another 2 years. GRRR.