networking

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to network my mac with OS 10.2 to a pc with WIN 2000. I have the filesharing turned on in both but can't seem to get a connection. The computers are connected through an ethernet hub. I was told that the hub would act the same as a crossover cable. I tried pinging the pc from the mac with no response. I may be missing something simple, does anyone have any idea's?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Are you using the same subnet address range?

Try this.

Open Terminal -

$ arp -a

The arp command should show all machine (ethernet) addresses in the arp cache.

Now on your pc open a command prompt and ping the mac's ip address.

Back to the mac - do the arp -a again and you should now see the machine address of the pc.

Don't see the pc machine address? Physical connection problem.

Hope this helps.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bassydbassyd Posts: 1member
    I'm having a similar problem. I'm using Vicomsoft Internet Gatway to share my DSL connection with a PC and a Powerbook, but cannot get the Mac to recognize the PC. I tried using DAVE and a tech support rep walked me through the setup. There was connectivity for a couple of days, then I could no longer see the PC and transfer files.

I removed DAVE and tried using the OSX file share preferences and again, had momentary connectivity, then failure. Now, when I try to connect, I get a -36 error message, which as far as I know is an I/O issue.

The Gateway software assigns a specific IP address to each of the machines, but using a cifs or smb command to hook it up is just not happening, so in the end, I resort to rebooting in OS9 and using Connectix software to move my files back and forth.

Any idea why I might be getting that error code message and what other solutions might be available?

Thanks,

DB

Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Are you using the same subnet address range?

Try this.

Open Terminal -

$ arp -a

The arp command should show all machine (ethernet) addresses in the arp cache.

Now on your pc open a command prompt and ping the mac's ip address.

Back to the mac - do the arp -a again and you should now see the machine address of the pc.

Don't see the pc machine address? Physical connection problem.

Hope this helps.

Dobby.

• Reply 3 of 3
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I don't know. But I have randomly got the '-36' error between my powerbook and my PC running SMBD on Debian 3.0. It usually is fixed by changing the password for some reason, even if you change the password to the same thing. Else I usually have to reboot OSX to get it to work. SMB_FS and SAMBA support in OSX can be pretty shotty, but then again getting my parents' WinME box to use my server also took a bit of work. Heh.

EDIT : As long as the two computers can see each other on the network then try to use the webserver to tranfer files. Won't help for uploading, but for downloading it will.