Favorite local sandwich?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    was the link there before? holy shite!

i really really need to know the name of this place.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey, I think that I've been to Primanti's....they put coleslaw and french fries on the sandwiches...right? Pretty nice.

Where's that place in Charleston SC? I love that town.

I'm trying to think of my favorite Atlanta sandwich. It's always fun to take folks to the Varsity to get a hamburger, but that's not a delicious sandwich...more of a rite of passage.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    a distinctly 'georgetown' sandwich is the 'chicken madness' at wisemiller's deli on 36th street.

sub roll; mayo, chopped lettuce, two tomato slices

then; the following are all put on a griddle and cooked

two chicken breasts (chopped)

bacon

red/green peppers

hot peppers

then two slices of provolone are melted on top of it, and they shovel the whole mess onto the sub roll.

it's a favorite, i suppose, but it gets tired.. I haven't had one in a few months...

they also make the 'burger madness' - insert hamburgers and american cheese in lieu of chicken and provolone.

it's good. with chips and a soda for $6 makes it about the cheapest meal in Georgetown.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

was the link there before? holy shite!

i really really need to know the name of this place.

No I added it later. That place is/was at UIC. UIC razed the area around in the name of progress. Not that I'm against tearing down crap and putting something worth while but ... look at what it did for UofC when they did the same thing 70 years ago. In fact speaking of UofC there's a place at 57th and Cottage Grove that's supposed to sell it. I would think any South Side place worth its salt would sell it. You can always stop in a Moo & Oink and buy what you need to make it at home. Moo & Oink?! I love Chicago!
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

No I added it later. That place is/was at UIC. UIC razed the area around in the name of progress. Not that I'm against tearing down crap and putting something worth while but ... look at what it did for UofC when they did the same thing 70 years ago. In fact speaking of UofC there's a place at 57th and Cottage Grove that's supposed to sell it. I would think any South Side place worth its salt would sell it. You can always stop in a Moo & Oink and buy what you need to make it at home. Moo & Oink?! I love Chicago!

you can't just be a steak joint, your sign has to say......

STEAKS & CHOPS
  • Reply 26 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

you may, and i will get to it, do they make one with the sausage in the beef sandwich?

Johnnie's definitely does a 'combo', but I think the double sausage is the key. Anyway, it's probably the best, or at least top 5, in all of Chicago. They're super-duper famous for their Italian Ice in the summer too. Big honkin' chunks of lemon. Tasty too. Better than on Taylor street....
  • Reply 27 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Maxwell Street Pork Chop Sandwiches. They are pretty famous and 'good' at 2 AM when you're drunk.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Being that I live less than an hour away from Lexington, NC, I'll have to say Lexington Bar-Be-Que, aka Western Bar-Be-que in the NC. Great stuff, vinegar based. I also like the tomato base Eastern Bar-Be-Que, so I guess I'm not a purist. But people will get into fights over which style is better. I'll take em both.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

So you like.... cheese?

I love cheese even though my intestine does not.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Chicken salad sandwich with everything (except sprouts) from Atlanta Bread Company on sourdough bread. [Everything = mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato, red onion] In second place is the Ultimate sub from Publix supermarket deli. Roast beef, turkey, ham, mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion, banana peppers, swiss cheese, and pickles.

In Ithaca, there's Shortstop Deli... So i get turkey, ham, mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, american cheese, sweet peppers, and all of it warm and toasted...

mmm... all this talk about sandwiches is making me hungry
  • Reply 31 of 40
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

a distinctly 'georgetown' sandwich is the 'chicken madness' at wisemiller's deli on 36th street.

sub roll; mayo, chopped lettuce, two tomato slices

then; the following are all put on a griddle and cooked

two chicken breasts (chopped)

bacon

red/green peppers

hot peppers

then two slices of provolone are melted on top of it, and they shovel the whole mess onto the sub roll.

it's a favorite, i suppose, but it gets tired.. I haven't had one in a few months...

they also make the 'burger madness' - insert hamburgers and american cheese in lieu of chicken and provolone.

it's good. with chips and a soda for $6 makes it about the cheapest meal in Georgetown.

That is basically a chicken cheese steak with lettuce, tomato and mayo...
  • Reply 32 of 40
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    SubWay!

Sure they don't have the best sandwiches compared to a deli, but it's local (Milford, CT), inexpensive and you can find them everywhere.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Shady Glen cheesbugers! They do this thing where they crisp the cheese... mmmmmmm!
  • Reply 34 of 40
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo

SubWay!

Sure they don't have the best sandwiches compared to a deli, but it's local (Milford, CT), inexpensive and you can find them everywhere.

Subway has gone downhill ever since they stopped cutting the wedge out of the bread in favor of just cutting the bread down the middle.

The Steak and Cheese used to be great...

CHEESE.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    ok. i have a favorite sandwhich only problem is they always put mayo on it. (i forget to have them not put it on 90%) of the time.

my quesiton is:

Am i the only one allergic to mayo?
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

ok. i have a favorite sandwhich only problem is they always put mayo on it. (i forget to have them not put it on 90%) of the time.

my quesiton is:

Am i the only one allergic to mayo?

are you allergic to eggs, or oil? that's all that's in mayo.

egg allergies are common.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    ??

sometimes i get the same reaction when i make a boxed "betty crocker" like cake. i use eggs and oil when i bake one of those cakes.

interesting....
  • Reply 38 of 40
    My favorite local sandwich, well it's a sub place, anyone that lives in Rochester knows Amiels Original Submarines, they have great subs. http://www.amiels.com

iBrowse: You ever been there?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    G.T. South's in Indianapolis has the best pulled-pork sandwiches. And very inexpensive, too.

When i lived in Chicago, many places serving the Vienna Beef hot dogs were my favorite.

But, I am on the hunt for the best (pork) tenderloin sandwiches. It's an Indiana thing, to look for better ones.

When in college, I also liked some female-companionship-sandwiches...bone in, and buttered buns.

• Reply 40 of 40
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Subway has gone downhill ever since they stopped cutting the wedge out of the bread in favor of just cutting the bread down the middle.

The Steak and Cheese used to be great...

CHEESE.

You are absolutely right. I think the problem now is that they're not training employees enough or not being as picky with new hires. I'll actually drive an extra 15 minutes because the (new) SubWay in my town employs a bunch of morons who suck at making sandwiches. One of them is my friend's little brother!