At my wits end!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to backup a dvd that I own that is larger than 4.6GB.

Ripped DVD using dvd2onex. The ripped and compressed Video_TS folder located on the hardrive will play fine using Apple's DVD player but once that folder has been burned using Toast I just get coasters. Each time I try to play the DVD I get a "operation not possible" message or something close to it. If using the menu I select the Video_TS folder on the disc instead of just hitting play I get "Valid Media Stream Not Detected. Help! I've burned tons of DVD's using toast before and it seems like DVD2onex is doing a great job compressing the Video_TS folder and the folder plays fine on the hardrive just not once it has been burned. I've tried full disk mode and the selective mode and it is always the same errors. I've also used DVD-RW(at one speed) and Apple's DVD-R Media at both 2x & 4x. I must be doing something wrong can anyone help me as I really need to back up this DVD and I've already made 8 coasters.

OK here are the contents of one of the dvd's I'm trying to burn.

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

Each time I try to play the DVD on Apple's DVD player I get a "Not Permitted" message and on two stand alone DVD players I got a scrolling "No Disk" message.

I don't believe any of the DVD's I've wanted to backup are encrypted but I've also made many attempts at burning after using DVDbackup but the end result is the same.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    under toast, make sure you're using the "Other" tab, and from there set the type to DVD.

also, make sure you create an Audio_TS folder.

the dvd2onex forums will have a lot of this information available.

i'll post a link later if you can't find them, or if the above doesn't work.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    doyaldoyal Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

under toast, make sure you're using the "Other" tab, and from there set the type to DVD.

also, make sure you create an Audio_TS folder.

the dvd2onex forums will have a lot of this information available.

i'll post a link later if you can't find them, or if the above doesn't work.

Tried all of the above and still the same outcome.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

you read through this site at all?

http://homepage.mac.com/tgpo/dvd2one.html

you are playing each one of the sections in the Apple DVD player first, right? then ripping them with a program such as DVD backup to remove the CSS crap as well?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    doyaldoyal Posts: 72member
    Quote:

you are playing each one of the sections in the Apple DVD player first, right? then ripping them with a program such as DVD backup to remove the CSS crap as well?

yep
  • Reply 5 of 5
    in that case, (assuming you read the link above) have you tried with a different DVD?

i've got the same software and it's worked dozens of times without a hitch.