School rejects free computers because they are Macs!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Allll the way up...

to the toppppp
  • Reply 22 of 24
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

There was a time when American Education was considered the model by which all other countries measured themselves....

Sad to say, most educators now look upon US education as the way NOT to go...

And more often than not they ask themselves ..

How did the richest country in the world get to have such a poor education system?

\

At least we can be proud of one of the nation's poorest states: The Great State of Maine. All those iBooks, even in economic hard times...some politicians still believe in education.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I gave up trying to battle the bloated bureaucratic sytem.

I gave up teaching not because the teaching part was not rewarding, it certainly had challenges, & the pay wasn't very good; but the kafka-esque autocracy just overruled everything and anything that might actually be of benefit to the teachers or the students.

I had a passion, a calling if you will, to see the light come on in students eyes. But I soon realised that against the laws of gravity & good design, the whole education system was like an inverted Pyramid, with the whole thing balancing precariously on its tip.

.And just like an inverted pyramid, the huge base (95% bureacracy ) would gobble up all the resources & finances intended for the students & teachers. (Those at the coalface.) a very poor trickle down effect would ensue, where we would get maybe 5c in the dollar.

So I resigned out of frustration after many years of battling. I still teach but in a different arena & in a different way...

I still believe that the greatest investment any country can make is in educating its citizens..& I don't mean indoctrination, but creating in the minds of its citizens, open questioning & discovery..the flame of recognition.

This was a thing American society was deeply admired for everywhere in the world.

But now with all the P.C. ( and PeeCee ) stuff as well, it seems that American education now reflects back a society that has become scared of its own shadow...\