iPod skipps songs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A whole ton of songs I have on my iPod have tiny, tiny errors and this causes the iPod to skip to the next song. (They play fine in iTunes) Is there a way to make the iPod less sensitive or is there a easy way to fix this (on the computer or iPod) without re-ripping my entire CD collection. I spent 6 hours yesterday on 3 computers encoding 18 CD's and am 1/4 of the way though my collection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, Not too talkative. I can take that. 8)

However, I believe I found a new problem with the iPod that has not been discussed before. After 3 days of use, (a 30GB model) I noticed that if you press pause/play repeatedly the L-R audio channels will switch (from L-R to R-L). I discovered this by pausing the song accidentally and noticing a difference in my music when it activated again. A little more testing and it does not seem to be anything with the MP3.

I created a sample AIFF file that plays a test tone (1000 Hz) in the left ear for 10 seconds only and converted it to MP3 for the web.Download the Test Tone.MP3 (The same thing happens with AIFF files on the iPod.)

While it is not a critical bug, I hope it will be fixed in the next update. With this exception the iPod alone is a rock-solid piece of technology. (Well, in my 3 days of massive use)

Can other people confirm this problem with their iPods? (new/old)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    I got the new ipod and all the songs i've ripped don't skip only ones I have downloaded skip and when i listen to them itunes I usually hear a brief pause with that chipring sound u get from crap mp3s. So in my case it only happens with crappy mp3s that already don't work well but actually play in itunes. Doesn't bother me helps we weed out the crappy mp3s.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It's completely arbitrary which songs the iPod will skip. I have a Billy Joel album I ripped at 320 kbps, and one of the songs on it will stop playing a few seconds in, while the rest are fine. And I have one song that skips and it's a downloaded song (but not very bad quality). So it doesn't appear to have any pattern. And I don't want the iPod telling me which songs are good enough quality to listen to, if the poor quality of the song overshadowed how much I actually enjoy listening to said song, then I wouldn't have put it on my iPod in the first place!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    When I encoded my MP3's years ago, I had "Play while importing" selected and if the computer imported faster than it played, it would mix the currently playing track with the currently encoding track together. This put little errors in almost all my MP3's which I lived with because I didn't want to re-encode them. It's not too friendly with the iPod though.

How about the audio reversing problem? Have you noticed it too?