Free Message Boards.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just wondering what some of the good free message boards are out there. We are currently using YaBB for our Senior High (church) message board. The thing is, we have had problems with people signing up that don't go to our church and causing some problems. Anyways, I am looking for a hopefully free board that would let me as the admin create usernames manually and let me lock "open" signups if that makes any sense. Thanks a bunch. By the way: I was not sure if this should go here or genius bar, but it is not exactly a computer "problem" so I put it here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I've heard and seen good things about phpBB. I'm not sure if it'll solve your specific problem, but you could look around the documentation and FAQ or ask on the phpBB support forums.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I've heard and seen good things about phpBB. I'm not sure if it'll solve your specific problem, but you could look around the documentation and FAQ or ask on the phpBB support forums.

Thanks. I will do that. (And report my findings back here. But tomorrow 'cuz it is late)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

It will do that.

Set the signups to admin approved. That'd let people register, but they cannot access the board until an administrator goes and approves their account. Just don't approve accounts from people you don't know

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 10
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Invision Power Board is great too http://www.invisionboard.com/
  • Reply 5 of 10
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    with Yabb you can prevent guests from posting i believe
  • Reply 6 of 10
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yes, I use YaBB on my own website and I turned off the ability of people to post messages without first becoming members, one of my friends can be a real asshole and I didn't want to put up with him playing different characters on my messageboard.

The extra bit of trouble of signing up will generally dissuade lazy trouble-makers. I too believe that there is some means of turning off the board's auto-signup feature, but I haven't done it myself. Explore the ADMIN features more.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Another vote for phpBB2. I've had good experiences with it in the past. If you can, go with something that uses php and mysql. It's better that way.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I was just about to post this topic, good lookin out! Can these all support a high volume of posts like here? I need one for my site and I expect quite a bit of traffic.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Only problem with those boards (well at least with my friends band's board hosted by phpbb) is that they load extremely slow sometimes, and sometimes not at all. Depends if it's on the rag or not. But that may only be his site, good luck.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Only problem with those boards (well at least with my friends band's board hosted by phpbb) is that they load extremely slow sometimes, and sometimes not at all. Depends if it's on the rag or not. But that may only be his site, good luck.

I think that's just his site.

Check the PHPBB site - they run their own software, and their board has thousands of members. Just click on community.

I've also had no problems on my own site, although it is smaller.

Amorya