two installed OS's

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I currently have jaguar installed. Through a friend of mine, I was able to procure a copy of the developer preview of Panther. I would like to install it to check out some of the features, but I don't want screw up my system. Is there a way I could install it to a separate partition, and if so, how would I create one. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You'll have to erase the entire contents of your hard drive.

Do you think it's worth the hassle of making all those backups?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Not sure if this is the best, way, but here's one option:

1) Back up all your data to an external HD, CDs, whatever media (You'll want to do this regardless of any way that you put Panther on your Mac)

2) Make two partitions of your HD as per this link:

http://www.lafcpug.org/partitioning_osx.html

3) Install Jag on one of your partitions

4) Install Panther on the other partition

5) Restore your data to wherever you decide to place it (I'd suggest in the Jag partition)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    damn, I thought that there might be a way to do it without having to erase my HD. I have virtual PC installed, seperately, and I assumed that I would be able to do something similar and have it separate.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    am I wrong about that?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    theoretically you could install it on a writable disk image... the problem is you wouldn't be able to **BOOT** off it without some type of PPC emulator like VPC is... vpc can be started on the fly, just as it can be installed on the fly... Mac OS will not work like that.....
  • Reply 6 of 6
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    http://imaclinux.net/articles.php?single=1385+index=0

It's time to familiarise yourself with linux, and grab a Gentoo live CD (one that has a patched parted on it.)

Of course, no sane person would attempt that without first backing up their home directory, just in case.

edit: wtf? I edited the wrong post(?)