So Who's Ordering Now?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So the G5 is finally here...

We've heard over the past two years what people want from Apple. Is this it?

Are we all now placing our orders?

Let's get some numbers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    i will buy it after early buyers experienced all the problems that happens agter the release of a new machine

think G4 MDD , Think first G4 500 Mhz!
  • Reply 2 of 47
    thebimbothebimbo Posts: 29member
    Currently have 500DP but getting long in the tooth for FCP etc. (OK UT2003 ;-) Ordered dual 2 gig with 2 gig RAM and 500Gb drives last nicht and this had better keep me going for next 4 years... Gotta say that don't understand comments about waiting - we've wanted the G5 for ages. Now its here go and get 'em!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 47
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    2 years of waiting for this thing... a lot of reading on these forums... and finally ordered today !

Dual 2GHz G5

2GB DDR 400 (corsair) - 4 DIMMS

250 GB SATA

SuperDrive

ATI 9800 Pro

Modem & Bluetooth Module

AppleCare

Yes... I think I can work with this jewel for 3 years 8)

It will change me because in the last 3 years, I've bought 10 Mac...

You can't imagine who is the most happy person in my family... it's not me... it's my wife

oh yeah... and the waiting time is : 7-10 weeks
  • Reply 4 of 47
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Ordered my dualie on Tuesday.

$2399 ADC price.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Any ideas on when the ATI 9800 is going to be available. Don't want to order one if it is going to hold up my DP Dubgigger (like what happened with the GeFTi)?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    I'm gonna wait till they come out to get one, still gotta finish convincing my boss

I think I'll prob stick with my 933 at home though for another year, untill the 3ghz comes out.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    I'm surprised by the number of people ordering the Dual G5. Being that the dual is the highest end model, normally, people would buy it less frequently. Hopefully, Apple has the ability to ship these machines.

As for me, it will be hard to resist a 970 15 Al book, but that is quite some time away. I'll never buy a desktop again.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    the dual seems to be the sweet spot of price/performance. plus i don't want my G5 emblazend heat sink to be lonely.

(i like the laptops too but the fan is way too loud for me,)
  • Reply 9 of 47
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

the dual seems to be the sweet spot of price/performance. plus i don't want my G5 emblazend heat sink to be lonely.

(i like the laptops too but the fan is way too loud for me,)

Yes, the duals are definitely the most bang for the buck, but they are also the most expensive buck. I'm still surprised- I would have thought that more people would be going for the entry model. Hopefully, Apple can ship these machines. I can see that everyone is upping the RAM (no surprises here).

I like taking my computer to school, or to a local coffee shop to do coding, so a laptop is a must for me. AFAIK, portability rules.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    I'm waiting at least until I can use my education discount again. Bought a Powerbook last fall. I think I might wait until the dual 3.0 ghz come out and buy one then. It will be my first Powermac.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    i got a duel 2ghz, 2x250gig hard drive, radeon 9800pro, superdrive, airport extreeeeem card and 1 gig of ram. and bought it the second the apple store came online after the keynote. and now im waiting, waiting, waiting.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    It's like we complain that we want them to announce stuff ahead of time, but then they do and the wait is torture.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Dual 2Ghz, Radeon 9800, Superdrive, Bluetooth.

Why are people buy more RAM? It's so much cheaper to order it somewhere else. This is probably also the case for the hard drive....
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

It's like we complain that we want them to announce stuff ahead of time, but then they do and the wait is torture.

that is sooo true
  • Reply 15 of 47
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have still not ordered anything yet, but i want to change all the macs of my office (more than 4 years old) for powermac G5. I want to use it for at least four years, so i need raw power today.

my reseller is studying something right now. i want to buy three powermac G5 :

G5 1,6 512 MB (256 is not enough) for my secretary

G5 1,8 1 GB dual Sata drive for the server in raid 0.

G5 dual ghz, radeon 9800 pro, 1 GB/ram, la cie 20 TFT screen photovision, rnis modem, A5 wacom intuos, epson scanner perfection 3200.

gigabit ethernet switch, and an upgrade of my printer (HP 4000n) with a ethernet 100 card.

upgrade for office for mac OS X.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

G5 1,6 512 MB (256 is not enough) for my secretary

Thats awesome, usually secretaries just get imacs
  • Reply 17 of 47
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I have already ordered a Dual 2ghz machine with the optional Bluetooth module.

I am buying an extra 2 Gig of RAM from Crucial (maybe more depending on the RAM prices when the the machine ships!), and an extra 250Gig Hard Drive from a 3rd Party reseller...

Hope it will be 'snappy' !!
  • Reply 18 of 47
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    anyone know if its a usb bluetooth plug so i can use my first bluetoo0th plug i bought a while ago?
  • Reply 19 of 47
    I gonna be getting the duallie with 2 gig of ram and the AE card.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    I'm going to be getting a 1.8 through www.powermax.com. Why order through Apple? There are retailers out there that don't charge sales tax....