iChat (and AOL AIM) should take a MESSAGE

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yahoo Messenger can take messages while you're signed off. Why can't AIM?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    ICQ has always done this too. I think it was a design decision by the AIM designers in order to reduce server requirements. You will notice AIM does very little with servers, while ICQ stores your full profile, offline messages etc. I think they were just trying to keep costs down by not requiring a lot of server support.

WM
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yahoo Messenger can take messages while you're signed off. Why can't AIM?

Try AIM Wireless . I use the forwarding service. When I sign off iChat or AOL Instant Messenger, I remained signed on as a "mobile" user where all instant messages are forwarded to my cell phone.

It's not the exact solution you're looking for, but it does the job.

(Note: iChat does NOT distinguish between mobile and regular users, but AOL IM and AOL does.)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    perhaps because its...oh i dont know INSTANT MESSENGING

not send a message and the other receives in in a little that sounds like, oh whats it called, use to be really popular before instant messening oh yeah tahts right its called email
  • Reply 4 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Video messages.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    both aol and apple both charge for their email services, and they are hardly going to give them away in this little run around. of course, i would really like for it to happen too, but i dont think its likely.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Exactly my man! AIM is free and video messages would take lots of space. My idea would enable you to have an answering machine in your AIM. Video, voice, or text messages. Although you can just leave yourself away if you're lucky enough to have broadband or be at college, some of us are still on modems! (Until Fall...)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

both aol and apple both charge for their email services, and they are hardly going to give them away in this little run around. of course, i would really like for it to happen too, but i dont think its likely.

If you have internet service, you have an e-mail account that can receive messages. Why waste the server space and code time to duplicate something that is unneccessary. If you dont have an email account with your ISP then get a free Hotmail, Yahoo, ad nauseum one.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I guess. It was just an idea. Duplication isn't necessarily bad. I like how I have multiple ways of doing things for lots of stuff. Another idea I had was AIM should "Broadcast", like Carracho server can. Say you want to tell 20 people some story. Copy and paste is annoying and rechanging your away message over and over is awkward too.