Being Canadian...on Canada Day.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
We are a diverse, tolerant and modest people.

Living next to the most powerful country in the world is not easy. Influences are bound to happen, but I think we've held our own pretty well. Yes, we sit on the fence on issues but that's just because we don't like to offend others.

Happy Canada Day!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I love Rick Moranis!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Ah Cananadia. Land of clogs and didgeridoos. How I long for thee.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The Candians where I work are bring food in and stuff. Go Canada!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    ice hockey, good beer, and comedy are among our best known exports, eh?

Happy Canada Day!
  • Reply 5 of 20
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    mmm, canadians, tasty when served hot...
  • Reply 6 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Happy Canada Day!

Hey curiousuburb, are you from out west, i.e. Vancouver?

Thinkin' about visitin there sometime soon.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Happy Canada Day!

When did you export good beer. You exported beer but the other stuff I'm unsure of.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

mmm, canadians, tasty when served hot...

translated through a bit of dislexya:

mmm, canadians, hot when served tasty...

Quote:

i'll give ya hockey, but i can hardly consider ur beer good. and i cant think of 2 good canadian comedians.

edit: oops, forgot to hide my xenophobia with smilies.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Vive le 1er juillet!

(Figure we should add a little something for the francophiles.)
  • Reply 10 of 20
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

We are a diverse, tolerant and modest people.

Living next to the most powerful country in the world is not easy. Influences are bound to happen, but I think we've held our own pretty well. Yes, we sit on the fence on issues but that's just because we don't like to offend others.

Happy Canada Day!

Canada is a great country, kind of like Switzerland, but way bigger. One of my favorite episodes of the radio show "This American Life" was called "Who's Canadian?". It's from years ago, but it can probably still be streamed from their archives.

http://www.thislife.org/pages/descriptions/97/65.html
  • Reply 11 of 20
    God bless jelly donuts, Banff and the Montreal Expos. And it will be good on the morrow to see Canadiastan get the Olympics in 7 years. I also look forward to taking advantage of your tax dollars at work on that purty new highway you're fixin to renovate for us American tourists. Gracias.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    just a few great canadian comedian exports off the top of my head

dan akroyd

jim carrey

mike myers

rick moranis

john candy

most of the original sctv

a few great canadian beers with good head (may not be available in all areas)

Kokanee (BC)

Tree Spiced Ale (BC)

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale (Nova Scotia)

Moosehead (Nova Scotia)

Maudite (Quebec) one of several fabulous flavours from Unibroue

extra bonus points for the Maxfield Parrish-esque labels based on Quebec folklore

don't make us come over there to demonstrate the hockey

• Reply 13 of 20
    dual867dual867 Posts: 31member
    Heh, Colander, you may have to pay a toll on the new Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler. Also, you may have to pay more for a ferry ride to Vancouver Island because they have just proposed a "tourist rate" at BC Ferries.

-Dual867

Vive le Canada!!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Don't forget Big Rock Beer.

Truly the finest place to live.

flick.

Cheers.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i'll give ya hockey, but i can hardly consider ur beer good.

You honestly prefer American beer over Canadian beer? I always find US beer tastes like filtered Canadian beer. Unfortunately, it tastes like it was filtered through a guy named Mike from Milwaukee.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

dan akroyd

jim carrey

mike myers

rick moranis

john candy

Kokanee (BC)

Tree Spiced Ale (BC)

Moosehead (Nova Scotia)

extra bonus points for the Maxfield Parrish-esque labels based on Quebec folklore

don't make us come over there to demonstrate the hockey

Dude, you must be a comedian, because Kokanee is the foulest shit available. I'm talkin' fouler than (Molson) Canadian.

Our best beers are not for export. Calgary's Wild Rose Brown (*drool* lucky friggin rednecks!) and Vancouver's Shaftbury Rainforest/Cream/Honey Ales. edit: And yeah, Big rock Trad is an old favorite of mine from my Calgary days.

BTW, anyone else here notice that "Canada Day" rhymes with "Eh?"

Eh?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

dan akroyd

jim carrey

mike myers

rick moranis

john candy

Kokanee (BC)

Tree Spiced Ale (BC)

Moosehead (Nova Scotia)

You forgot Alan Thicke! Man, when he got all his teeth knocked out...that made me laugh.

Mmm, IPA...though that's not a very long list...
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Heh, Colander, you may have to pay a toll on the new Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler.

Well that would suck. That doesn't sound like the Canada I know. You don' want to do that. Write your government today and tell them you want it paid for with your tax money so that I don't have to contribute anything for using it.

Quote:

Also, you may have to pay more for a ferry ride to Vancouver Island because they have just proposed a "tourist rate" at BC Ferries.

Not gonna impact me or a decent sized % of other tourists for that matter as well. Washingtonians going to Victoria and thereabouts usually use the State Ferry from Anacortes via the San Juans or the Victoria Clipper from Seattle or one of the Port Angeles ferries. A lot of other non-NW tourists do as well because it is frequently much cheaper and easier to fly into Seatac than to Vancouver. Unless you are determined to see both Vancouver and Victoria at once, and I'm sure many but not all people are, especially those from further away, then this would not hit you in the wallet.

One thing though. Just make sure when you guys are hyping your Olympics that you don't publicize the Canadian Rockies any more so than they already are. We don't need anybody else learning about those. Not that they would ever want to go there anyway, the Canadian Rockies is all just a terrible terrible dump anyway, which no man should ever want to visit unless he want to be killed by Grizzlies the moment he steps out of his car.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

You honestly prefer American beer over Canadian beer? I always find US beer tastes like filtered Canadian beer. Unfortunately, it tastes like it was filtered through a guy named Mike from Milwaukee.

well, i didn't say i prefered american beer, just that i dont much care for canadian. guinness is for me.

its a sad day in whoville when rick moranis is on a list of 'great comedians'. i didnt realize akroyd and carrey were from that far north. i'm a bit surprised. i guess canada is alright.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    North America just merged to cut costs. We are now knowns as the United States of Mexamericanada!