Vinyl record to CD via iMac : Help needed

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to download a vinyl LP to my G3 iMac Graphite 600Mhtz and then burn it to CD.

I am runing 9.2 and have iTunes loaded.

Can I run a turntable that has two standard RCA plugs to my iMac or do I need to feed it via an Amp first ?

What adaptors etc do I need ?

Ps :

Also are there any programs that clean up the recording scratches etc that I can download to enhance the sound quality before I burn it to CD ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jdbon2jdbon2 Posts: 44member
    You will need an amp because of the phono pre-amp. Hook the record player to to the phono input of the receiver, and run a rca to mini-jack adapter from the tape out of the receiver to the audio in of the iMac. Sound studio is a free app that can import and edit audio. If you have toast, cd spin doctor will auto define tracks and help you clean up hiss and static.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I'm not sure about OS 9. But under OS X, you can use a Griffin iMic and their free Final Vinyl software to hook up a turntable directly to your iMac, record it, and burn it to CD.

I've been thinking about converting my old LPs to CDs and MP3's as well. But I don't have a turntable right now. (My old turntable and my LP collection are at my father's house across the Atlantic in Switzerland.)

Escher