Why do you need more Optical drives?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 82
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

gee... let me think...

to burn cd's faster... to do cd to cd copying... to be able to have *gasp* both a dvd and cd in the system at a time... to burn two cd's at a time... to listen to an audio cd while playing a game... or to just use the bay with all those odd ball accessories on the market, hot swappable drives, audio controllers, et cetera...

Again...most of these functions can be accomplished with external drives. The main arguement is perceived "Clutter" and Price. Not functionality.
  • Reply 82 of 82
    tripleotripleo Posts: 26member
    Yep. Though I can see more than 2 internal HD's being a convenience it's not a necesity. I'm an assistant sound editor at a reputable L.A. motion picture post production facility and we use one HD for general mac use and one for our digitized film. But all of our audio files and ProTools sessions live on external FWs. For backups, massive storage (like our company's entire sound library) and transfers to other workstations we use a RAID array. Servers are key. This is the industry standard. I suspect this is the same in the visual effects realm. Any kind of audio or video specific professional uses external storage solutions.

This may differ for those who work independently from home where the addage "to each his own" applies. My intention is to offer the "professional perspective".

Quote:

Originally posted by MarkL

Well, as a LA Platnum studio I must disagree. Why do you need a screamingly fast HD for your samples? Most are under under a couple of meg and can quiet simply be pulled off the server. And if you are running the Protools hardware all your hard drives are external drives anyway. We run five macs and none of them have more than one internal HD. Servers and external drives are the answer.

Clarification added.