Is this possible?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I asked these in another thread, but I think those questions were not so relevant for that thread, so:

When I Force Quit the MENU bar turns the color of my desktop image while still in use: is there a way to either Hide the Finder MENU bar or change its color? . . . the white bar at the top of the screen . . .

also:

I would LOVE to be able to change the color of the background in Columns view.

anybody know how to do that? any progz that do that?

or make the background in Columns view transparent or semi-transparent!!

any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

When I Force Quit the MENU bar turns the color of my desktop image while still in use: is there a way to either Hide the Finder MENU bar or change its color? . . . the white bar at the top of the screen . . .

That should only happen when Force Quitting the application you are currently in. There is no universal menu bar. Each application makes it's own menubar (although they can partially contain universally similar items in them like clock etc.). When you are in a given app and force quit it, it dies and cannot draw a menubar anymore. Ideally Force Quit would display one if only for cosmetics sake. The onyl way to avoid it if it really bugs you is to be in any other application when force quitting a given application. Like be in FInder when quitting Photoshop, or any other combination.

Quote:

I would LOVE to be able to change the color of the background in Columns view. anybody know how to do that? any progz that do that?

Can't be done. Yet. Might want to email unsanity.com and ask for a haxie. If anyone can do it they can.

Quote:

or make the background in Columns view transparent or semi-transparent!!

any ideas?

Also can't be done. I'm quite sure that the Finder would need to be Cocoa in order to do that. Highly unlikely to make a hack for that I'm afraid.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jw34jw34 Posts: 3member
    Check out Path Finder (http://www.cocoatech.com/). You can use it instead of the Finder and allows for customization in column view.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

That should only happen when Force Quitting the application you are currently in. There is no universal menu bar. Each application makes it's own menubar (although they can partially contain universally similar items in them like clock etc.). When you are in a given app and force quit it, it dies and cannot draw a menubar anymore. Ideally Force Quit would display one if only for cosmetics sake. The onyl way to avoid it if it really bugs you is to be in any other application when force quitting a given application. Like be in FInder when quitting Photoshop, or any other combination.

No, the point is is that I LIKE the way that Force Quit makes a menu-bar using the desk top image, I want to be able to do that all the time.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Ahhh...well not really. But if you got a theme editing utility, you could change the graphic for a theme's menubar, then just use the theme. There are plenty of standard Aqua themes if you like the look of the standard Aqua and just want to change the menu; otherwise you can find more wild or subdued themes and modify them. Not trivial but if you know Photoshop and general customization type applications (similar to ResEdit in the old days) it shouldn't be too hard to do.