New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 321 of 873
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I hate the way he rights...it reads like a legal document.
  • Reply 322 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    And my favorite quote from MacWhispers is...

Quote:

As posted on MacWhispers by Jack Campbell

?There are really only three methods for creating Apple rumors. Well, there are actually four, if you include "bald face lying" as a method.?

How ironic that Jack would think of that fourth method!

• Reply 323 of 873
    g5powerg5power Posts: 18member
    i think it is worth keeping this thread going for the duration of the vigil waiting for new models.

everybody has been talking about "year of the powerbook" but did you see Apple's sales figures?

powerbook\tunits/quarter av

2000\t 96,000

2001\t 87,000

2002\t 89,000

2003 143,000 (first 3 quarters)

powerbook\trevenue/quarter av

2000\t $237 million

2001\t $203 million

2002\t $208 million

2003 $317 million (first 3 quarters)

it clearly is the year of the powerbook! in the past quarter the powerbook was apple's top selling product line (by $).

apple probably think they can sit tight and get the next model revision right, as the new 12"/17" models are selling so well.
  • Reply 324 of 873
    valmadvalmad Posts: 49member
    Enough of Jack already. "bald face lying" is his ONLY method. Liar, loser and a first class clown , he is not worth talking about.

As for powerbooks, I think it makes sense for new G5 powerbooks to be released after demand for the pwermacs has started to drop off a little, that is after all the pre orders have shipped and the general buzz has started to slow down. Then the "worlds fastes laptops" get released. Maybe about Oct. in time for Christmas. I think that with the G5 Apple will want to milk "the worlds fastest" thing for as long as possible, and the powermacs may not be the fastest for that long, so they will have to move on to "the worlds fastest laptops" sooner rather than later. What they would want is only two things for people to keep hearing and remember, "APPLE" and " WORLD'S FASTEST".
  • Reply 325 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by valmad

As for powerbooks, I think it makes sense for new G5 powerbooks to be released after demand for the pwermacs has started to drop off a little, that is after all the pre orders have shipped and the general buzz has started to slow down. Then the "worlds fastes laptops" get released. Maybe about Oct. in time for Christmas. I think that with the G5 Apple will want to milk "the worlds fastest" thing for as long as possible, and the powermacs may not be the fastest for that long, so they will have to move on to "the worlds fastest laptops" sooner rather than later. What they would want is only two things for people to keep hearing and remember, "APPLE" and " WORLD'S FASTEST".

I don't want to sound like an *sshole, here, but I will.

If they release a 1.2 GHz G5 laptop, they'll have a hard time claiming the 'Worlds Fastest Laptop' title.

It will certainly be the 'Worlds Nicest Laptop', but you know that some company will have stuffed a 3.2 or 3.4 GHz desktop P4 chip into a chunky laptop by then.

We could argue semantics of 'laptop' versus 'portable desktop' ... but in the end, although those P4 monstrosities are far from luggable, they are still laptops.

I'll tell you what, though, I'll be first in line for one of the nice 15.4 Aluminum 'Worlds First 64 Bit Perfect Consumer Laptop'.

(Replace 64 Bit, with G4.5 and I'd still be first in line.)
  • Reply 326 of 873
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Maybe the PowerBook is going through a major redesign and a move to the G5. Otherwise, wouldn't they have released new, speed bumped models by now?
  • Reply 327 of 873
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Maybe the PowerBook is going through a major redesign and a move to the G5. Otherwise, wouldn't they have released new, speed bumped models by now?

That is the question that has been driving everyone to distraction for the last three months. That is the reason we've had thousands of posts and tens of thousands of views in various threads on this site.

Personally, I doubt we'll see a G5 powerbook very soon. If it was technically possible they would have announced it already. If Apple had announced a 1.2GHz G5 laptop people would have fainted dead away, they'd piddle like happy puppies, they'd do back flips down the street, they'd... well, you get the idea.

I don't know what is holding up the 15" PB. It is over nine months old. That has to be close to a record for the longest time without an update to a PB model.

Lots of posters have suggested marketing reasons for the delay. Things like Apple doesn't want to take away attention from the new G5. I think it is a technical issue. New products are always good news. My guess (pure speculation) is that Apple started to gear up for an Aluminum version of the 1GHz PB to bring it to parity with the 17" PB. Then in late spring they started to get wind of an early release of the G4 7457. Also, sales of the PB were very strong (as we learned the other day) which meant that there was not heavy pressure on Apple to release a new PB (in spite of our eagerness for a new 15" Al PB). Now the engineers are working out the kinks in the manufacturing process to get this out the door. By this reasoning it could appear any day now.
  • Reply 328 of 873
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

By this reasoning it could appear any day now.

September or bust (my liver).
  • Reply 329 of 873
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    A god sign of channel clearing...

From powerbook central...

Apple Store has slashed prices for Education customers (students and teachers) across the board by as much as $150. We can only assume that this is to encourage students and educators to purchase new equipment as we approach the new school year. These prices are for individuals purchasing new Macs -- the prices are now the same as for those purchasing equipment for their schools. Prices for all Macs were lowered with the exception of the base eMac and base iBook:

12" iBook/Combo: $1199 was $1249

14" iBook/Combo: $1399 was $1449

12" PowerBook/Combo: $1399 was $1499

12" PowerBook/SuperDrive: $1599 was $1699

15" PowerBook/Combo: $1799 was $1899

15" PowerBook/SuperDrive: $2299 was $2449

17" PowerBook: $2999 was $3149

eMac 1GHz/Combo: $849 was $949

eMac 1GHz/SuperDrive: $1099 was $1149

15" iMac: $1199 was $1249

17" iMac: $1699 was $1749

1.6GHz Power Mac: $1799 was $1899

1.8GHz Power Mac: $2199 was $2299

2.0GHz Power Mac: $2699 was $2849

MSKR
  • Reply 330 of 873
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

I don't know what is holding up the 15" PB. It is over nine months old. That has to be close to a record for the longest time without an update to a PB model.

If memory serves, 12 months is the longest time between PowerBook updates (PowerBook G3 -> PowerBook G4) and 3 months is the shortest (WallStreet -> PDQ).

Nine months is actually about par for the course.
  • Reply 331 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    Not to split hairs but the longest recent pro laptop intro was between the Pismo and the current Titanium at just under 11 months.

Pismo ( Firewire version ) - Feb 16, 2000

Titanium G4 - Jan 9, 2001.

This is has got to be the thread that wouldn't die... the cool thing about it is that someday it will be right!

Just say "Keep the thread alive, keep the thread alive... "

BTW, I read in another thread ( somewhere! - can't find it now ) that Apple has quit selling demo models of the PB 15 to resellers. It would be nice to get some proof of this if someone can supply it.
  • Reply 332 of 873
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    I think it is now obvious that Steve's gonna milk every last drop out of all the current product lines until every last kid is back in school. Everything then gets bumped at Paris on the 16th. PBs, iMacs, everything.

Another benefit (to Apple) is that a good number of back to school shoppers might cave and buy a much higher margin G5 since it's the only "new" product.
  • Reply 333 of 873
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chazmox

Not to split hairs but the longest recent pro laptop intro was between the Pismo and the current Titanium at just under 11 months.

Pismo ( Firewire version ) - Feb 16, 2000

Titanium G4 - Jan 9, 2001.

Wasn't there a small update to the Pismo before the Titanium release?
  • Reply 334 of 873
    g5powerg5power Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Lots of posters have suggested marketing reasons for the delay. Things like Apple doesn't want to take away attention from the new G5. I think it is a technical issue. New products are always good news. My guess (pure speculation) is that Apple started to gear up for an Aluminum version of the 1GHz PB to bring it to parity with the 17" PB. Then in late spring they started to get wind of an early release of the G4 7457. Also, sales of the PB were very strong (as we learned the other day) which meant that there was not heavy pressure on Apple to release a new PB (in spite of our eagerness for a new 15" Al PB). Now the engineers are working out the kinks in the manufacturing process to get this out the door. By this reasoning it could appear any day now.

Regarding the delay in PB update, i like the theory that there was to be no update until the processor could be updated. no point releasing a new PB aluminium with same old 1GHz chip. a faster chip was unpredictable in timing - Apple have been waiting on the 7457 1.3 or G5 1.3 to be ready..

the other complexity /unpredictable for apple was the need to spin out OS9 support. the current 15"PB is dual boot, but the 17" is not. when they released the G5 they had to re-release a G4 dual-boot at the low end. i think apple will do the same with the powerbook. keep the G4 15" as they have as a dual-boot OS9/OSX but perhaps with the newer faster 7457 G4 chip.

the longer the update delay goes on, the more of an anti-climax anything less than a G5 powerbook will be. steve would know that with the announcement of a G5 desktop, a lot of buyers are just going to wait for the powerbook G5. get one out and it is money for jam!!!
  • Reply 335 of 873
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G5power

when they released the G5 they had to re-release a G4 dual-boot at the low end.

Not quite. There has always been an option for an OS 9 booting machine. They just elected not to get rid of it with the introduction of the G5. So its not as if there is this "new" machine, but just a continuing of an old one.

I doubt they will continue this pattern with the powerbook. Once the 15" gets updated, it will loose OS 9 booting ability.
  • Reply 336 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

Not quite. There has always been an option for an OS 9 booting machine. They just elected not to get rid of it with the introduction of the G5. So its not as if there is this "new" machine, but just a continuing of an old one.

I doubt they will continue this pattern with the powerbook. Once the 15" gets updated, it will loose OS 9 booting ability.

If I'm not mistaken, the machine is not exactly a continuation of an old one, because the old one could not boot OS 9. They changed an old model to make it cheaper and make it able to boot OS 9, I believe
  • Reply 337 of 873
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

If I'm not mistaken, the machine is not exactly a continuation of an old one, because the old one could not boot OS 9. They changed an old model to make it cheaper and make it able to boot OS 9, I believe

Nope, it is the same OS 9 booting model as before.

With the last rev of G4's (the ones with Airport Extreme and FireWire 800), there was an off page for a special OS 9 bootable Mac, which was just a rev 1 MDD tower (FireWire 400, regular airport). This supposed "new" model is not anything new, it is just a repackage of that same old model.

See this note on lowend mac:

Quote:

The June 2003 models are essentially the same as the G4/1.25 GHz dual processor (2002)

<snip>

G4/1.25 GHz dual 512/120/SuperDrive/Radeon 9000 Pro introduced 2002.08.13; reduced to $1,299 on 2003.06.23 as a 256/80/Combo model

So they notice the similarity as well, Apple just reduced some specs, and the price. But it is the same machine at heart.
  • Reply 338 of 873
    Since there is more than 1 PB thread, i'll post it here also.

Here is the scoop from macdoobie:

Quote:

[ Rumors ] new portables - Lionel - 08:51:42

Hereby information on the future of the APPLE portables. The

source is highly reliable. New Powerbook should arrive at the end of

the next month. They were pushed back because of... Motorola once

more. They had manufacture problems with the PPC 7457. The 12" model will

reach 1133 MHz and the other models will be at 1,25 and 1,33 GHz.

USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 will be generalized with the whole range. We

did not have information on the presence or absence of the 15". We

will have other information in the near future.

As for the G5 portables, one should see them arrive at the beginning

of 2004 (can be as early as February). There is still much work to be done on the

controller of the mother board which dissipates too much heat. They

will have to engrave it in 0,09 Microns.

The wait is almost over
  • Reply 339 of 873
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salty chips

The wait is almost over

Geez, still more than a month and it's almost over? I've been waiting since January.

And I just broke one of the hinges on my 15...:/
  • Reply 340 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think/hope an update would come sooner than late-August